5.0 out of 5 stars It's a SPLITTER, not a TAP !!, February 6, 2011
This review is from: RCA DH24SPF Two Way 3 Ghz Bi-Di Splitter (Electronics)
This is an excellent product when used PROPERLY -- and as intended.
This is a SPLITTER, which means that BOTH of the "OUT" terminals should be connected to cables of the SAME, or nearly the SAME Length in order for your equipment to receive an equal share of the signal.
In other words -- the RCA splitter has 1 "IN" and 2 "OUT" terminals -- and the cables attached to the terminals must be the SAME or nearly the SAME length so that the signal loss in each cable run will be the same for both components.
Example: If you have one cable coming off the Splitter that's 60 feet long but the other one is only 6 feet long, they'll be way out of "balance", and certain equipment (such as a cable modem) will not function the same on either length of cable. Internet connection speeds are very sensitive to signal imbalance, so it's important to keep your cable modem on the shortest possible cable run, and NEVER on the "long side" of a junction !!
Under those circumstances, a SPLITTER is the WRONG CHOICE -- and a "TAP" must be used !!
A "TAP" looks a lot like a SPLITTER, but works differently -- the TAP has 1 "IN" and 1 "OUT" terminal, with the 3rd terminal "unmarked". -- With a TAP, the longer 60-foot run would be connected to the "OUT" terminal, and the shorter 6-foot run would go to the "unmarked" terminal.
Note that the DH24SP is a "2-way" splitter, which means that the high-frequency signal can pass freely in BOTH directions, which is critical for high-speed internet's need for bi-directional, hi-speed transfer of data "packets" to and from your server/tester/ISP.
Some reviewers have claimed that a cheapo splitter from the dollar store is "just as good" -- but that's just crazy talk !! And those gold-plated ones from "the shack" are NOT APPROVED by COX Cable, either !! I thought they were jackin' me around, but the COX Tech replaced my "golden" splitter with a SV2G 5-1000 MHz splitter and my internet connection speeds improved quite a bit !!
Anyways, if you need a SPLITTER for high bandwidth applications, such as Satellite, Cable Internet, Digital Cable, or HDTV -- this is it !!
Just remember to keep your cables as close to the same length as possible, and if you CAN'T, get a TAP for that long run !!!
One other thing -- for absolute best performance and a strong, steady signal, place your Modem and your Wireless Router about 4 feet apart to prevent radio frequency interference. Electrical interference of any kind drives Wireless Routers crazy, which is why I use and recommend Category 7 (double-shielded) Ethernet cables !!
The RCA (Audiovox) DH24SP gave a noticable improvement in the picture quality of our 52" Samsung LCD HDTV and to the 20" Standard TV on the other leg. It replaced an SV2 Splitter @5-1000 Hz. and -3 db drop per leg.
Great product when used as intended, and well worth the money - especially since Amazon.com cut the price IN HALF of what I paid here just a few weeks ago !!
The most important thing to remember is that this is NOT a signal BOOSTER, and it CANNOT make a weak signal stronger !!
What it WILL do is divide a high-frequency signal into 2 separate but equal parts by using intelligent circuitry combined with quality components and excellent workmanship.
The Bi-Directional capability MAY improve your computer's UPLOAD speeds, but that will depend on other factors.
My own personal install (outdoors) yielded an average Upload Speed increase of about 275 % over the old ISP-provided splitter -- (it wasn't bi-directional)
Ya can't go wrong for 5 bucks !!!

Good Luck !!

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 9 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 42 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Aug 10, 2011 12:50:57 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 10, 2011 12:51:56 PM PDT
I would like to say a big thank you to your very informative review on this splitter! You have given me some great information in this review! I realize that I think that for my setup, I will need to get a "Tap" as you recommend for those of us who will have cords of different lengths due to my room's pre built configuration for internet & for HDTV/Satellite viewing! Again, I appreciate it! :)

Oh & btw, I'm also in Phoenix & use Cox Cable for my internet, whom I actually adore. Cheers :)

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 10, 2011 3:11:19 PM PDT
Yo, Timbo !!
I thank ya kindly and muchly for your good words -- I normally don't go into such detail, but I had a few bong hits for Jesus, and, well, you know how it is --
Yeah, COX rocks !! I do a lot of Internet Connection Speed Testing and am currently in an FCC program to improve internet service. My connection is tracked and recorded 24/7 for several parameters, so I know what my stuff is doing at all times. I got a lot of my trick stuff from Amazon -- no sales tax for us Zonies!!
Keep the faith !!

Posted on Sep 2, 2011 1:55:32 PM PDT
Thanks Slik. It cleared up some things that I was wondering about. Much appreciated.

Posted on Sep 2, 2011 1:59:08 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Sep 2, 2011 1:59:32 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 8, 2011 5:27:13 PM PDT
C. Hallowell says:
Yo, O.B. !! All-ways glad to help in any way I can -- just like so many folks that have been helpful to me.
I've been using Amazon's reviews for several years as a price and performance guide -- I get info from real people that are just like me -- with great performance results and lasting value as bonuses. Good Luck !!

Posted on Oct 7, 2011 4:07:29 PM PDT
This is great info! Thanks for posting this. I have this exact situation where I need to run internet to a building in my backyard and the split will be at my house (60 ft away). I'm using a Netgear MoCA Coax-Ethernet Adapter kit and I've read on here that the splitter needs to be able to operate above 2 ghz but I cannot find a TAP with those specs. The TAP's are all around 800 mhz. Can you offer any advice on this? Where I can find the right TAP?

Posted on Oct 7, 2011 4:09:17 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Oct 7, 2011 4:10:18 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 8, 2011 9:54:29 AM PDT
It's all good, Josh --

I suggest that you TRY the Audiovox DH24SPR Two Way 2.4 Ghz Bi-Di Splitter and see if you get a workable balance between the 2 units that are on the lines. If both of your units test out OK, (fast internet speeds, clear and sharp TV picture and sound), leave it alone. If you can't get the results you want, you might try Googling for a 2Ghz. TAP --- BUT the specs on 2 Ghz. taps show a lot of line-loss on the "tap" port. You will have to choose which tap specs you want, depending on how long the SHORT line is. You MIGHT want to call your local cable company (ISP) and get their recommendations for your installation.
Store salesmen are notoriously ignorant of these things, so don't look there.
Good Luck !!

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 9, 2011 12:28:45 PM PDT
Thank you for the quick reply. Sounds like good advice. I'll give the DH24SPR a try. Thanks again!

Posted on Sep 3, 2012 8:11:59 AM PDT
Ciaran says:
Great review! When I first hooked up the splitter, I noticed that the TV next to the coax jack on the wall was getting much better signal. I figured it had something to do with distance, but on reading your review decided to buy a second 100ft cable and just keep it coiled next to the closer TV. Definitely did the trick - equal signal on both now. Thanks!
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.4 out of 5 stars (233 customer reviews)

$12.99 $11.11
Reviewer

Location: Phoenix, AZ. - U.S.A.