5.0 out of 5 stars Great machine, great price & super customer service, April 7, 2011
This review is from: Smooth Fitness CE-3.6 Elliptical Trainer (Sports)
We did a lot of research before making this purchase. Although our first choice was the Precor that our gym has, its $5000 price was not what we had in mind. After researching online review sites, this Smooth CE-3.6 kept popping up with five stars & top rated.
Our biggest hesitation was that it was only sold online - - - there was nowhere for us to actually get on one and try it out.
We took a chance, and based only on the glowing reviews, we ordered it.
Delivery was prompt & efficient - - they called in advance, set up a date and time, and arrived right on the dot.
The free shipping delivers into your door on the ground floor. The box is large and extremely heavy (it took 2 large delivery men with a dolly to get it off their truck and into our garage). I would strongly suggest that if you intend to have this machine end up on any other than your first floor, you either pay extra for in-place delivery or open the box downstairs and take the unassembled pieces upstairs separately. You'll still have to manage the main base portion however, which is still very heavy and quite unwieldy.
The parts were packed very well, labeled and identified accurately, and instruction book very clear. Once unpacked, it took 1.5 hours to complete assembly, clean up, set in place and begin first workout. *** Although one person could assemble it alone, a second person is helpful - - one person to hold a large/heavy piece in place while the other person secures it.
The machine lives up to its name and is very smooth and quiet. The console is easy to operate and figure out even without the instruction book. The fan, which I did not think I would use, turns out to be a surprisingly nice bonus.
The 18" stride, and width and height of the moving handlebars are very comfortable for both me and my husband (5'4" & 6').
If pressed to critique, I would wish for a book holder, and also critique the speakers which are quite tinny and not really worth using. We either hook up the iPod to speakers that are set up in the workout area or just use earbuds so the built in speakers aren't important - - - after all, we knew we weren't purchasing a stereo.
Overall - - extremely happy and very satisfied with this. It's a gym-quality machine that really does satisfy a workout at home when there's not enough time for a trip to the gym.
* * * update June 2011 * * * Sometimes the best measure of a good company isn't about how error free they are, but how they handle things when problems come up. I must say that Smooth Fitness gets five plus stars in this category. Two months after purchasing this machine, one of the foot pedal posts loosened from the wheel (this was an area that came pre-assembled).
One phone call and two days later all was repaired. Not only was the service rep efficient, but friendly and apologetic too. The locally contracted repair company that came out to do the repair was equally impressive.
Very, very reassuring that Smooth Fitness stands by their product, their warranty and treats their customers well both pre and post purchase.
* * * another update May 2012 * * * one of my foot pedal plates cracked. Still useable, but this machine came with a 5 year parts warranty and I figured it was worth a try to see if they really stand behind their product and their warranty. One phone call later and the part is on its way. Just more validation that we made the right choice in this purchase.

[Add comment]