5.0 out of 5 stars This Sony is Worth a Little Extra, December 19, 2010
This review is from: Sony DVP-FX750 7-Inch Portable DVD Player, Black (2010 Model) (Electronics)
I purchased my unit on sale at Target. I have seen these units on sale or online for about 40 percent off list price and Amazon usually has a similar discount but Amazon's prices "float" all the time so be sure to comparison shop and shop weekly or even daily on Amazon if you are price sensitive. While I purchased my sample of this review unit from a "bricks and mortar" retailer, in the past I have purchased other items from J&R, the seller currently listed for this unit, through the Amazon Marketplace program and they are a very reliable Amazon Marketplace seller. You can also log directly onto the J&R Music website, comparison shop, and use your Amazon account to place your order directly through J&R which is very convenient.

I am very happy with this 7" Sony. It has the "standard" resolution (which is to say, 1/2 DVD level) of most portable DVD players. Subjectively speaking, the image quality is about the same as pre-digital TV broadcasts which is more than enough for entertaining kids, the most common use of these players. The sound quality through the built-in speakers is also pretty decent, enough for kids watching DVD's at home in their room, and there are dual headphone outputs for better quality listening (or listening in a car without annoying parents).

If you want higher resolution, this is the only unit I know that offers true DVD resolution (800 x 480 pixels):

Sony DVP-FX950 9-Inch Portable DVD Player

It costs a lot more due to that higher resolution and the bigger screen, and it is not usually discounted as much, proportionately, as this smaller unit.

(I searched and found two different 9"/high rez models, the FX950 and the FX930 and I am not sure of the differences; I think I have the FX930; currently these are only offered by Amazon Marketplace sellers, but Amazon usually stocks them.)

This 7" unit has excellent "on machine" controls which should suffice if the remote is lost; the remote makes access to some buried adjustments (as noted by another reviewer) easier. The remote is as large as a TV remote, much larger than the small ones that come with most regular DVD players (that hook up to TV's) these days, and in fact much larger than the remote that comes with the 9" high rez edition.

Battery life is sufficient unless you are taking a long flight (not many portable DVD players go on flights anymore, what with netbooks and iPads and Touches). The player comes with both a home charger and car charger. I don't think the unit will charge and play at the same time, but it WILL play on external power, either on the home charger or the car charger, which is probably the most important issue.

Build quality is EXCELLENT. My wife picked up an RCA 7" portable player for only 10 dollars less than this one at Target around Thanksgiving and the build quality on the RCA is very disappointing in comparison, as are the controls.

Colors and brightness are EXCELLENT. More importantly, this Sony has good view angles. The RCA my wife bought has a peculiar view angle - you have to tilt the screen slightly toward you to get optimal image contrast and brightness. The Sony has MUCH better viewing angles.

All in all this is one of those instances where paying a little more (perhaps) and buying a brand name (Sony) is well worth it. I highly recommend this Sony portable player.

Also, if you don't really need the higher resolution, there is no point in getting the 9" edition, since the difference in screen size doesn't add up to much at typical viewing distances. The 9" is much larger and heavier if you have to lug it around.

Finally, I really like the "resume" feature which lets you re-start DVD play where you left off after powering down, assuming you haven't changed discs in the meantime. It means not having to search for the spot where you left off.

A note on how I use mine: I have bunches and bunches of instructional DVD's I like to watch. I have been searching for an easy way to watch them, since I usually only watch 5 or 10 minutes at a time (it's the most I can absorb before brain freeze). Resetting the main home TV center from whatever device it has been running last (Roku? Apple TV? DVD?), and turning on the TV, player, amplifier, and pulling the last DVD left in the player (and finding where it goes) and putting my current one in, are steps that add up to more trouble than they are worth. Using this DVD player means I can turn it on with one switch and watch anywhere in the house...or in the car...or in a mall while the family is shopping. Turn it off, and it resumes on last chapter I watched. Very handy for golf players, tennis players, martial arts, or hauling to the patio or spare room for an aerobics or yoga session etc. These things aren't only for kids and Barney.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-8 of 8 posts in this discussion
Initial post: May 9, 2011 2:26:24 PM PDT
LY says:
Thanks for your detailed review; it helped me decide on buying this product or not. I was specifically wondering about the "on machine" controls (I hate to use remotes), so you really provided me with details I was wondering about the most. Thanks again! Great review!

Posted on Apr 15, 2012 12:05:57 AM PDT
It has been about 16 months since your review. Is it still good? I am thinking about getting this one or the newer version. Thanks.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 15, 2012 3:01:21 AM PDT
MWebb says:
If you need a DVD player then this remains the best. But a lowere resolution 7" model from Philips is cheaper for kids, and I picked up a heavily discounted 15.6" (230) notebook for watching DVDs myself.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 15, 2012 9:55:45 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 15, 2012 3:45:48 PM PDT
Thanks for the quick reply. I was a little concerned by the 1 -star reviews at this very page that said Sony quality had declined to junk.
I don't have kids;Just for my own entertainment. I'd like to be able to watch a dvd on something other than the livingroom set that has the full-sized dvd player hooked up. This may sound weird, but I never had a desktop or laptop, so I can only play dvds on the regular player. I have an iPad2 now which cannot play dvds. I can't really download films because I rely on 3G, not wifi. Anything above 20mb will not download through 3G. I went to library once to see how it worked. It took about 2 hours to download Captain America. I was also conerned that since everything seems to be coming out on blu ray now, whether I should bother with a dvd-only one. It is cheap enough so that if it becomes obsolete I would not have lost too much. The blu ray one is about $300 I think. And you have to do firmware updates that seem like you would need a laptop to do it. I also saw a Toshiba model that read memory cards. Sony does not offer that I think. I was scared off by a very negative review, however. What do you think? Thanks again.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 15, 2012 2:19:18 PM PDT
MWebb says:
I think you will be happy with this Sony. Blu-Ray hasn't gotten the acceptance hoped for and just as the tape cassette lingered on after records disappeared, DVDs will lumber on. I am hard pressed in fact to see much difference between up scaling of a current DVD release like Watchmen vs. the Blu-Ray edition. This Sony is relatively low rez keep that in mind, although better than most portables which are miserable.

Posted on Jul 14, 2013 11:17:55 AM PDT
tom cat says:
Thanks so much for taking the time to write such a detailed review.....so helpful.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 14, 2013 9:02:57 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 14, 2013 10:11:20 PM PDT
Thanks!

Don't forget there is a tectonic shift from DVD players to tablets ... I would highly recommend an iPad mini for the vast assortment of games and apps for kids, not to mention all sorts of streaming and purchase options for videos. Some paid, some subscription, some free (iTunes, Amazon Instant Video for purchases and rentals, Amazon Prime Instant Video for subscription content, Vudu, Hulu Plus, CWTV app and other network specific apps for free but commercial supported content).

DVD's are appealing if you have a collection or inherit a collection from another parent. But we were going nuts with discs littering the floors all the time, kids couldn't find the DVD's they wanted, DVD's got scratched and lost.

If you intend to use it for yourself, tablet viewing angles and colors, if you stay in the Google Nexus 7/10 and iPad quality segment, are stunning compared to even the Sony portable DVD players.

The only negative (assuming you are not heavily invested in a DVD collection and don't want to rip the DVD's, or at least your favorites, to files for viewing on your tablet) is the fact that Apple tablets don't allow multiple user log-ons. Google Nexus do. Kindle Fire will "sand box" your kids but I think both Google and Apple tablets are more "secure" if you intend to use them for banking apps etc.

Anyway the Sony is still the best, but right now that's a little like bragging about having the best cassette player ....

BTW the current Nexus 7 is sharper than the iPad mini. But no iTunes or Amazon Instant Video.

The next Nexus 7 is due in a month. It is rumored to have a 1080p (true HD) screen and much faster processor and graphics for games.

The next iPad mini is due before the end of the year. Current rumors are certain it will be upgraded to the much faster A6 chip found in the iPhone 5. There is a lot of debate on when the screen will be upgraded to Retina. They COULD do it right now, but only if they used the existing screen technology in the iPad 4, which would transform the current ultra thin and light mini into a much thicker, heavier unit (thicker screen for backlighting and bigger battery). Apple is trying to come up with technological improvements to allow it to stay svelte while improving screen rez. Apple also has a unique problem - whatever they settle on, needs to be available in huge numbers. Other makers can afford to contract with display panel makers with smaller production capabilities. But Apple needs guaranteed, huge production numbers. A combination like that - cutting edge new technology plus massive numbers - is what has caused the Retina mini delay, and why the A6 chip is reserved for the iPhone 5 and it's hyped up graphics cousin the A6x is reserved for the iPad 4.

Good luck and happy shopping!

Posted on Jan 9, 2015 8:13:59 PM PST
Skyhawk says:
>> not many portable DVD players go on flights anymore, what with netbooks and iPads and Touches <<

I see portable DVD players making a comeback. More Macbooks no longer come with an optical drive. Also, many more movies are available on DVD that you can get from Netflix or iTunes.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›