5.0 out of 5 stars Not a good beginner camera;, November 24, 2012
This review is from: Canon PowerShot SX500 IS 16.0 MP Digital Camera with 30x Wide-Angle Optical Image Stabilized Zoom and 3.0-Inch LCD (Black) (Electronics)
Edit: 2012-11-30 this is better than I expected. Great quality with long distance shots. I'm still working on moving subjects in low light conditions. I do not like the "low light" mode, as the ISO seems to be set real high and the result is grainy. I'm using either manual or program modes. Still the best non-SLR that I've had.
I just got this camera and love it. For me, it has all of the advanced features found in much more expensive DSLR cameras, but without the price. The optical zoom is wonderful to have instead of having to worry about carrying around various lenses for larger cameras. It is not a pocket camera, nor would I recommend it for beginners, as there are a lot of features that would not be useful for them. The size of the camera is perfect for me. The flash has to be manually opened up, which I love because I don't have to fiddle around with making sure that the flash icon says what I want it to say...The flash is on or off, that simple.
It has all the scene selections that the smaller Canon cameras have, but it has a lot more. There's modes that are mostly found on DSLR cameras on this: P (Program); TV (Shutter Speed Priority); AV (Aperture Priority), Manual, Auto, "LIVE" and a nice collection of fun shooting modes that Canon has. (miniature mode, fisheye, discreet, fireworks, low light, snow etc). There is also a record button on the camera so you don't have to switch the dial to video mode to start recording.
There is also an actual lens cap on this camera. I like that because I have had three other small Canon cameras have the auto lens cover break or get stuck and cause all sorts of trouble.
If you want a more advanced camera, but don't want the $500+ price tag, I think this is a very good choice.
I really do not recommend getting this if it's going to be a beginner camera.
I don't ever use auto mode because I have never gotten good results out of it. I like being able to select what mode I want based on the conditions.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 10 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-6 of 6 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 7, 2013 12:07:06 AM PST
lockwynn says:
Thank you for this review. You addressed everything I wanted to know succinctly and just as the questions occurred to me.

Posted on Mar 31, 2013 7:44:56 PM PDT
Thanks for the great review.

Posted on May 30, 2013 7:26:13 PM PDT
Zack, thanks for the great review. I wonder, have you ever sorted the moving subjects in lowlight conditions problem? I've had this problem with most other digitals I've tried, and a problem if you're looking to photograph or video your kids' chorus concert... just wondering if you managed to overcome the problem and, if so, how?

Posted on Nov 24, 2013 11:47:43 AM PST
buckzmom says:
does anyone know the shutter speed?

Posted on Feb 26, 2014 11:24:57 AM PST
Hiker8063 says:
I'm curious why you don't think it is a good beginners camera.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 24, 2014 11:21:36 AM PDT