4.0 out of 5 stars Fun game, good workout., October 4, 2010
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Gold's Gym Dance Workout - Nintendo Wii (Video Game)
I have noticed that a lot of reviews are from people who have used this product only once or only after a few days. I have had this game for about a month and have used it regularly. I hopped on the Wii fitness craze about nine months ago and went out and bought all the usual stuff that was out there. I got the Wii fit, and did not understand how on earth that was supposed to make anyone lose weight. (ie: I just have to stare at a candle?" I got Just Dance and LOVED that, until I only really liked a few songs on there and it didn't hold my interest very well. THIS game is something I can get into. I set it up with the personal trainer and have been following the "My Workouts" about five times a week. I really feel like I am losing weight. The "My Workouts" start off very, very light. I can see how some people don't feel like they are getting a workout if they have only used it a few times. You have to answer questions that are used to design the My Workouts. I answered honestly and just plain told it that I wanted to work out hard. After that, I'm pretty sure it heard "kick her a**". I also appreciated the My Workouts as it kept me from just staying in one dance style or trying to advance too quickly (and thus get frustrated). The dances are fun and interesting, and very good cardio. I like how it tells you your previous record for calories burned for every workout so you feel like you have a goal in mind.
All that said, I do have a few cons:
The mini games are very annoying. I see them as more of a break to catch my breath in the middle. They do not read your movements well at all, which make them near impossible. Also, the controls on the workouts aren't exactly perfect, but if you're like me, you really don't care that much. It's not about points, it's about getting moving. My only other gripe is that it almost feels like the same routine is put to several songs. As in, I feel like I'm doing the same routine I did five minutes ago, but to a different song.
Other than that, I am all for this game. The calendar lets me see my progress and I almost feel like I'm letting down my "personal trainer" if I don't visit her. (Okay, that was weird.) But it really is an awesome game if you are like me: I wanna lose weight, I hate working out, and dancing seems like a great way to burn some calories without realizing it.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-6 of 6 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 20, 2010 11:59:17 AM PDT
Muhsketchy says:
Okay, it seems from your comments that you have really used this game and given it a chance to do what it claims to be able to do. I was all set to click and purchase this game, based on the description and majority of the reviews, but fortunately I hesitated for a moment and THEN read somewhere that I needed to use the balance board in order to make this game interactive! Not many of the reviewers have addressed what you need to use with this game and strangely that information is NOT included in the product description which is my WTF moment for the day.

I thought I would be able to use this Dance Workout with the Active Life interactive mat I purchased for the Nintendo Wii Outdoor Challenge game but now I am not sure. Do you know if this game has to be used on the balance board? I've heard that later models of the balance board are wider but there is no way I am willing to risk breaking, or spraining, one of my OLLLLD ankles by working out on a balance board. Just thinking about the game requiring that type of interface makes me wonder if the designers ran this game by their legal team!

I really do want and need to kick start my cardio but I can't see much benefit in trying to raise my heart rate only to bring everything to a screeching, or would that be screaming, halt by working on any type of elevated platform. One little misstep near the edge of the board would be enough to cause serious injury and, as someone who broke an ankle at 20 years of age by stepping with my foot half on the sidewalk and half on the grass, I know of what I speak. :-( I would appreciate the help if you do happen to know if this game would work with the aforementioned mat. Thanks

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 29, 2010 7:25:42 PM PDT
Jennifer Lee says:
You don't really need the balance board. The balance board is only really used to weigh yourself in, if you're tracking your weight, and on a couple of the mini-games like the jumprope and I think the kayaking one? For the dance sections you don't need anything except the Wii Remote. They recommend you use two, and I do admit that the game is a lot more fun since I bought the second one.

Hope this helps!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 8, 2010 11:07:53 AM PST
I agree with the other poster. You do not need the balance board, and I don't think I know about this active mat that you speak of. The board is used in certain games, but it is optional, and I highly recommended you DON'T use it. The responsiveness is way, way off on the games in the first place, but the board is even worse. To dance, all you need is two wiimotes, and you're in business! Have fun!

Posted on Jan 19, 2011 9:55:47 AM PST
PenName says:
The mini-games are a waste of exercise time. I just do jumping jacks during them. I'm going to get knocked down by lions anyway, so why not? lol

Posted on Jan 21, 2011 6:26:26 PM PST
KAT says:
I have been using this game with the Trainer option but am not advancing beyond very beginner routines. The ones that the trainer selects, I have been able to do at about 80 - 100%. Is it the way I've answered the questions in the Profile? I've been playing around with that but can's seem to get it to be more challenging. Otherwise, I think it's a great workout but want a little more variety. Down with the mini-games. I skip most of them.

Posted on Jan 13, 2012 5:36:59 AM PST
Lisa P says:
I have only had this game since Christmas, but I love it. Your review is exactly correct for me as well. I love working out and dancing, but the mini games they can keep. They are horrible, and they don't track movements well.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›