1.0 out of 5 stars When good products go bad, December 23, 2009
This review is from: TurboTax Home & Business Federal + State + Federal efile 2009 (CD-ROM)
I've used TurboTax for years. Perceived product quality has been generally very good, albeit uneven. This year was a shock. Import data from last year? Yes, OK -- the product opens 6 copies of itself and a little box says "Checking for Solution." It crashed and dumped me on a support site that was of little help. So I enter personal information by hand. TT then runs OK for a few hours as I enter tax information. I enter stock prices -- very tedious. Stock split? Yes, OK. Crash. Reinvest dividends? No place for a fee. Sold stocks in various lots? Crash. You get the picture. As a software developer I can picture what has gone off the rails, but that's all guesswork. I just want to get my taxes done. Save yourself some grief and look at other offerings. That's what I'm doing.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 5 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 34 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 23, 2009 8:08:59 PM PST
C. Seitz says:
Did you install from disc or download?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 24, 2009 9:19:47 AM PST
D. Jones says:
I installed from CD, then updated via download. I don't believe that a defective installation was the issue since I did run across one of my crashes as an "acknowledged bug" that was supposed to be fixed by year's end. After a couple of crashes I upgraded online based on the program's recommendation that I had need for the business version. The upgraded software crashed in various situations; it seemed that if I left a line blank in the stock purchase list TT couldn't handle it, etc. I couldn't quite work around everything, and ended up losing hours of entry all total.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 25, 2009 7:15:21 AM PST
Was yours the Mac or Windows version? (Not that software quality is likely to be different in one versus the other, but still...)

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 25, 2009 9:51:19 AM PST
D. Jones says:
Windows, and I am running under Windows XP. I do have Kaspersky AV running, FWIW.

Posted on Dec 29, 2009 6:30:28 AM PST
Joan Fox says:
used this product for years, never had this trouble. Do you think it is possible the "early" purchase will alert Intuit to the bugs yet to work out for this 2009 model? I know this problem occurred with different program after an "upgrade", requiring several download solutions. In any case, thanks for the heads up -- this does sound awful.

Posted on Dec 29, 2009 7:12:15 AM PST
A. Wiersch says:
Sounds like they rushed it out to market and plan to fix it (via updates) later.

Posted on Dec 29, 2009 7:16:21 AM PST
R. Frost says:
What other tax software offerings are there for a Mac?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 29, 2009 7:57:24 AM PST
John Freeman says:
This sounds like a product whose QC missed some important problems. In the past, I've had issues with Intuit software occasionally failing to behave in fundamental ways, like printing. I've had issues with versions of Kapersky interacting with other software before. But still, this argues for buying this software just when you need to use it, no sooner, so that Intuit has time to clean things up. Thanks, D. Jones, for taking arrows in the back for all of us. I hope Intuit is paying attention and gets this stuff cleaned up. (I was hoping to approximate my tax liability early, but alas, I'll wait.)

Posted on Dec 29, 2009 9:38:59 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 29, 2009 9:41:59 AM PST
Sadly, Intuit has been doing this for years with the initial release of nearly every program I've purchased. I've been using Quicken since probably Quicken 2 for Windows 3.1 and Turbo Tax for at least the last 7 years and without exception, the release version is always full of bugs. I've never been solicited or seen an advertised beta testing program from Intuit in all the years I've used their software, although I will be honest in saying I have not actively sought the program out. But after years of the same thing I have come to the conclusion that the initial release version is essentially a beta version that Intuit is charging the full retail price for. The only reason I continue to use their products is that they are very active about correcting these bugs as they are reported and typically withing a few update releases you have a very nice, fully functional program. Personally I would not plan to file my taxes with this program until at least mid to late February to give them a chance to get the bugs fixed, however you can alway file an ammended return if some update materially changes the initial return you've filed. At the end of the day (update period) Intuit still has the nicest personal software I've found on the market if you can just tolerate these intial update periods. Another option is that if you don't NEED the software immediately upon it's release, wait a couple of months and let others report the issues to Intuit so the can be fixed before you buy and install the software.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 31, 2009 2:29:57 PM PST
I had that happen to me a few years ago (have probably used TT for over 10 years). I got over-zealous and bought it early in the year and it was very buggy. All other times, when I have bought it somewhat later, there usually has been a comment stream of people talking about the bugs but they have been gone by the time I've picked it up in Feb or March. So, I think I'll wait a bit and hope it resolves. I hate when software developers use a premature release as a 'subsidized' Beta test! I think that's what Intuit might be doing . . .
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 Next ›

Review Details

Item

3.7 out of 5 stars (216 customer reviews)

Used & New from: $40.00