2.0 out of 5 stars either leaves hair greasy, or does not do anything, July 21, 2009
This review is from: Bumble and Bumble Curl Conscious Defining Creme 8.5 oz (Health and Beauty)
After having read all the positive reviews, I was expecting really a lot. But no matter how much I tried, I was never satisfied the result. If I apply very little of it, there is no difference. If I put a bit more - it right away makes my hair greasy and gives it a dirty look. I experimented at least 10 times: both following the complicated instructions (curling hair around the finger!) and just leaving them dry free, and was never happy with the way they looked after drying.

ADVICE: I was recently on a trip to Turkey, and got there a wonderful spa treatment, a part of which was they just massaged some natural oils into my scalp and told me to leave the hair oily for a while. The next day, after I simply shampooed my curly (usually quite frizzy) hair and let it dry on its own, it looked truly wonderful - silky, shiny, soft, and very lively! No product I ever tried could do the same! So I browsed a bit for "HAIR OILING", and for the last month have been regularly massaging some natural oils onto my scalp 1-2 times a week before going to bed, and shampooing the following morning. My hair has never looked that beautiful! And I don't need expensive conditioners any more! And they say that a simple natural soap actually works the best. Much cheaper than $60/set for shampoo+conditioner, very healthy and very effective. I vary the oils I use: jojoba, coconut, olive, soybean - all with great results. This is how people have been treating their hair for centuries before the cosmetics industry realized that there is a profit opportunity in creating hundreds of the products (none of which is properly tested). Anyway, I don't want to be pushy, but I thought that if you thinking of buying Curl Concious products, you may consider natural oils instead, and may be you will benefit from them as much as I did.

ADVICE 2: In my pursuit of natural hair care, I recently came across another great advice for having silky and shiny hair. After shampooing (no conditioner), rinse your hair with lemon juice mixed with water (1 lemon + 1-1.5 cups of water). Apparently, it removes all the soap residues that are left on our hair after soaps/shampoos, which harden our hair and make it bushy. They say a mix of vinegar with water has the same effect, and that it's better to use vinegar on dark while lemon on blond hair. But I am afraid of the vinegary smell, so I have tried lemon only (though it's perhaps more expensive than vinegar). It works like magic! After the very first time my hair were silkier and livelier than I ever remember it. If you want to learn more - browse for VINEGAR or LEMON RINSE.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 4 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-6 of 6 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 31, 2010 7:11:59 AM PDT
Valerie says:
GREAT advise! We are in a matrix of consumerism while the best thing for us is free and in perfect harmony with our surroundings. Thanks for pointing out what should be the obvious.

Posted on Jan 24, 2011 5:04:11 PM PST
MzZora says:
GV,
Thanks for your review of this product. I'm usually skeptical of products that are overpriced myself so I'm glad you gave your honest opinion. I especially want to thank you for your 2 part advice on how to maintain natural hair. It's important that we recognize that you don't have to spend a fortune to look good and maintain your natural beauty. :>)

Posted on Jan 17, 2012 3:59:39 PM PST
Caroline U says:
You can also use beer, yes, beer (a great way to use any unfinished beers leftover after a dinner or party) as a hair rinse (wash with soap and water after so you don't smell like an alcoholic), raw eggs also work to make your hair super soft. Combine avocado and olive oil and you have a great hair mask (leave on 10-20 minutes covered in a shower cap or plastic wrap, then rinse out and shampoo as usual). I'm surprised you mentioned lemon, the acid totally dries out my hair and turns it blond in the sun...

Posted on Feb 10, 2012 6:32:15 PM PST
Crystal says:
I just had a great haircut, only marred by the fact that the stylist kept trying to sell me this B&B product. I couldn't bring myself to buy it, too expensive. She also tried to get me to by a hair treatment that cost $37. In looking at the ingredients, it all goes against all the natural and simple products I usually try to stick to. Thanks for bringing me back to Earth!

Posted on Nov 27, 2012 11:36:45 PM PST
Kaulika says:
I just got my hair cut, and the stylist used this to bring out and enhance my natural waves. It worked really well, and I got a lot of bounce and curl that wasn't there before (time will tell if that's just the cut or if the product really did make a difference). I think a lot has to do with the cut you have and the method of application. I didn't buy it because I don't use these kinds of products in my hair on a regular basis, but it did work for me.

Posted on Jun 10, 2014 9:27:01 AM PDT
bob says:
The vinegar smell will wash completly out of your hair
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.2 out of 5 stars (54 customer reviews)

$30.99 $29.00