4.0 out of 5 stars Much improved over previous models, February 16, 2012
This review is from: Foscam FI8910W Pan & Tilt IP/Network Camera with Two-Way Audio and Night Vision (Black) (Camera)
I purchased this product directly from the manufacturer due to the disclaimer on their website that states they only offer support to products purchased from them directly. Click the camera on their website to read the disclaimer.

This is my second camera from them. My first camera was the 8905W and it worked fine for a year then the wireless stopped working. I'm hoping my new camera lasts longer.

Here is my review...

I had the unique opportunity to see this camera in action before I purchased it and was impressed with the specs and ease of use. It's daylight picture is fine for my needs as I only use it to cover the first floor entrance way. It's field of view is adequate and the picture is clear enough to make out details such as objects on the floor or on the table in the other room. It's night vision is fine for a good 20 feet, maybe a little more of complete darkness and 50+ in low light. The wireless setup was a breeze and the web control works great. The only reason I give this four stars is it's lack of Zoom. This is a PT Camera ONLY. There is no zoom and that would have made this a perfect camera for the price. The camera has an outdoor setting that greatly improves the picture quality when viewing the outdoors. Unfortunately this is an indoor camera but viewing through a window pane produced no noticeable glare.
However, viewing through the window screen blacked out the picture completely. Night viewing through a window pane was useless as the IR LED's produced a blinding glare. If your going to use this camera outdoor, I suggest taking the environment into account and glare through glass enclosures.

The audio works well. I used a stereo Mic and mini computer speakers to test it (Just wanted to see if it actually worked) as I have no real need for a permanent hook-up. The wife just yells up the stairs anyway.

They offer a software bundled package from the manufacturer for a better deal than purchasing both separately.

All in all, not a bad camera for the price.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 5 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 10 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Feb 29, 2012 8:04:42 AM PST
SoPo says:
Purchases from Amazon receive "receive free telephone based technical support" according to http://foscam.us/products/foscam-fi8910w-wireless-ip-camera.html which says:

Please Note: In order to receive free telephone based technical support as well as our domestic (US/Canada/UK) 2 year replacement warranty, you must purchase your camera directly from Foscam Digital Technologies LLC using the online checkout system on this website or from one of the Authorized Retailers located on our Where to Buy page.

Posted on Mar 18, 2012 1:16:54 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Mar 18, 2012 1:17:06 PM PDT]

Posted on Mar 18, 2012 1:17:16 PM PDT
JT says:
Can this camera easily snap pictures? To explain further, I need to take photos of clients faces to upload into my software. Also, does it save in a friendly format? BMP or JPEG?

Thank! :)

Posted on Mar 28, 2012 4:10:28 PM PDT
Scott says:
Great review, Thanks!

I too am wanting to use this as a surveillance camera through a window to survey my car at night (I spotted some guys attempting to break in last week). I'm concerned since you said you received a lot of glare from the IR's blasting through the window, as well as poor performance through a screen... any way you could post a snapshot of your results? perhaps on the "customer images" option.

I'm fine with having a little glare but having the whole image washed out really defeats the purpose. I have a street light on my car so I'm hoping that perhaps disabling the IR feature may produce descent image quality.

Also, are you aware of an audio alarm feature? Like if the camera picks up a sound it would send an email alert? I know it has the motion alarm feature, but audio alarm would be a huge selling point to me.

Posted on Apr 20, 2012 1:34:43 PM PDT
IR does not travel through glass - that's the reason you are getting 'glare' - the infrared simply sees the glass as opaque.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 8, 2012 8:46:33 AM PDT
28/M/Ohio says:
Agree!

If you check the website:
They State " Please note: In order to receive FREE TELEPHONE TECHNICAL SUPPORT as well as our US Based 1 Year Replacement Warranty, you must purchase directly from Foscam.us or from one of our Authorized Dealers listed below. If you do not purchase from an authorized dealer, you will not receive technical support or our 1 year warranty "

Amazon is an authorized reseller so you get the full warranty and support -- they wrote that up so " if you buy this from your buddy down the street or off craiglist with no receipt ... they aren't going to give you support or replacements ..

You should modify your review as you are incorrect, Original poster.

+1 SoPo

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 6, 2012 9:47:03 PM PDT
M. Paganini says:
Wow, I'd be a little concerned about supporting this kind of behavior from the manufacturer. I understand they're having a hard time fighting counterfeiters, but still, forcing the consumer to buy directly from their site (at a premium) seems like an over-reaction to me. They should at least have a list of supported retailers, and Amazon could easily be on that list.

Come think of it, we buy much more expensive stuff on Amazon (DSLRs, Lenses, camcorders, to name a few.) Their "solution" to the problem feels a bit over the top.

I'd also like to remind people that if you buy a product through most Visa and Mastercards, you have an automatic warranty extension of up to one year. This is little known, but can be a life saver.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 7, 2012 5:44:18 AM PDT
28/M/Ohio says:
They do have a list and amazon is on it... Do some research b4 ya post.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 7, 2012 9:17:11 PM PDT
M. Paganini says:
I'm not a researcher and I don't work for either Amazon or Foscam. My comment is a reply to the previously policy of only providing warranty for products purchased on their homepage. Of course, reading again now they support other vendors, which is good, so the point is moot now.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 21, 2012 10:25:12 PM PDT
M. Paganini says:
Actually, I've done some more research on this topic. It turns out that for *some* Foscam cameras, the warranty is extended to products shipped by certain third party providers (Amazon is one of them.) In fact, if you look at http://foscam.us, you'll notice that for most of their cameras, this is not true -- you need to buy the camera from their website to get your warranty.

This is indeed very bad.

On top of that, they only give you a 14-day money back warranty and charge a 15% restocking fee for returned products.

Again, I'd really prefer not to support this kind of behavior.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›