5.0 out of 5 stars Smart, and Easy to Use, May 3, 2012
This review is from: LG Cinema Screen 55LM6700 55-Inch Cinema 3D 1080p 120Hz LED-LCD HDTV with Smart TV and Six Pairs of 3D Glasses (2012 Model) (Electronics)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This handsome TV features a thin bezel and modern look, ease of use with attractive menus and very good picture quality.

Set Up

Like all other flat panel TVs, once you unbox the set, you'll need to assemble and attach the stand. LG's stand seems a little flimsy. There's some give when you touch the TV and the manual gives specific instructions on where you should grab the TV when you pivot it on the stand. I've had no problems, but a more substantial feel would be comforting.

When you first turn on the TV, it takes you through a few easy steps to set it up. Pairing with the remote, joining your wi-fi network, choosing your energy saving preferences and the like. My TV also found a software update once it was connected to my wi-fi and prompted me to upgrade. Easy.

Performance and The Flaw

I'm a TV production veteran of many years. I'm really picky about picture quality in some respects, but don't care a bit about some of the things some TV reviewers seem obsessed about. What you can see with test signals isn't very important. What matters, in my humble opinion, is what you are seeing when you sit down to watch. Are you watching the movie or watching how your TV performs? The LG's picture quality is very good, but there's one Flaw that takes me out of the moment and makes me pay attention to the TV.

The LG 6700 uses LED edge lighting. It results in splotchy light leaks around the perimeter of the screen. The Flaw is visible during dark scenes and in a darkened viewing room. How bad is it? It's invisible 99% of the time, but when the movie ends and the credits come up, there's those glowing globs around the edges. When the hero goes into the haunted house with a flashlight, there's those ghosts all around him. Turning on the Energy Saver feature, which reduces the backlight when the room is dark, lessens The Flaw somewhat.

It's pretty easy to overlook The Flaw since the LG has a great picture otherwise. Good, well saturated color, plenty of contrast and good brightness. 3D performance is stunning. If you want to change something, you'll find every adjustment you can think of in the settings menu. So overall, I rate the LG's picture very good despite The Flaw.

This LG is one of the many new TVs that use glossy screens. Glossy screens give a more vivid and colorful picture than non-glossy screens, but at a cost. They are much more reflective. Is a glossy screen for you? Pretend your TV screen is a mirror. If you're sitting on your sofa looking at that mirror, would you see a strong light source, like an unshaded lamp or a window? If so, you'll prefer a TV with a non-glossy screen.

This LG's audio performance is mediocre. There is an EQ built-in the settings menu, but using it to boost the bass makes little difference. The speakers just can't reproduce it. While the audio is fine for dialog, I think LG assumes you'll use a sound system if you care about fidelity.

3D

The LG uses passive 3D glasses. They produce a good 3D viewing experience and have an advantage over active shutter glasses in that they are much cheaper to buy, don't use batteries, and are universal among brands. Next time you see a Real D 3D movie in the theatre, hang on to your glasses. They work fine with this TV. You get 6 pair of 3D glasses with this LG. Your local Best Buy carries additional glasses from LG and Real D including kid sizes and clip-ons and high-priced premium stylish ones.

Here's the part of the review where I expected to dismiss the 2D to 3D feature. The LG, like many new BluRay players, will synthesize 3D from regular 2D content. Darned if it doesn't work pretty well. It's not as good as real 3D, of course, and you probably won't use it that much. (Are you going to start watching CNN in 3D every night?) But for a few choice programs, it's surprisingly good.

There's a button on the remote that toggles 3D on and off with one button press. All in all, LG has done everything possible to make 3D simple to enjoy with a minimum of fuss. Push the 3D button, put on the glasses and eat your popcorn.

Smart TV

This TV has apps, just like your smart phone. There is no longer a menu where you adjust picture and sound settings. There's an app that does that. There are apps to switch inputs, search for available video you can download, browse the internet, turn 3D on and off, display media from your smart phone or computer, display the user's manual and on and on. 21 apps come preloaded on the LG, and you can download more. Most of those are gateways to other content, including a lot of children's programming. Most are free.

You can get to the apps you've installed through the My Apps menu, or through the home screen which also has a "Premium" menu where you'll find Netflix, Hulu, Vudu, YouTube, Facebook, Twitter and more. The "3D World" menu has a number of streamable 3D programs. Most menu screens keep the program you were watching when you entered the home screen boxed in the upper left corner. You can select it to close the menu and return to your program.

LG's operating system seems rock solid, but some of the apps are buggy. The internet browser, for instance, seems impressive at first with tabbed browsing and flash installed. But some websites will lock it up, even to the point where it's difficult to make the browser quit. And while flash is present, using it will bring a warning that you're using an old version and it won't be supported for long. Another app, AccuWeather, gave me a face full of error messages when I tried to add Fort Lauderdale to my favorite cities.

Still, LG has sent out at least one update since my set was built, so there's reason to believe the bugs will get squished eventually.

Media Link allows you--theoretically--to view your computer's media files on the LG's screen. It requires a third party app, Plex, to be installed on your computer. I have a MacBook, and the Apple version of Plex crashed immediately when I launched it. No Media Link for me!

The Remote

LG has gone its own way with the remote control. Instead of a wand with a zillion buttons, you get a wand with a few buttons that works like a Wii controller. You wave it in the air to move a cursor on the screen. It's clever, but I have gripes.

First of all, the buttons are mostly surfaces flush with the face of the remote. Also, there is no light or glow-in-the-dark lettering on the remote, so when it's dark, you're left to fumble about on a seemingly featureless wand. I don't know how many times I've moved the cursor over the icon I want, then pressed the button only to have the muting come on. That's the button directly below the select button.

While you're waving the remote around, it stays on. When you're still for a few seconds, the remote turns off. So if you're perusing the menus and pause to read something, the cursor will disappear and you'll have to shake the remote to get it back. When this happens over and over, it gets annoying. Also, if you take a swig of your drink, then bump the remote when you put down your glass, a big red cursor pops up on the screen to spoil the mood your movie was trying to build.

While I struggle with this remote, everyone else in my household like it. Pointing at icons on a big screen is much better for them than searching for the right button on a crowded remote. Ordinarily, I put the original remote away and just use my universal remote. Not this time. Everyone but me wants the LG remote. It stays on the coffee table. But I'm not out of luck.

Even though the LG remote is an RF remote, the TV accepts IR signals, so my universal remote will work with it. Well, up to a point. I can navigate using arrow keys, but there is no button to call up the "home" or "My Apps" menu. The upshot is that I'll be able to do all the non-smart functions with the universal remote, but apps and on-line content will require the LG remote.

The Bottom Line

The LG is a smart, easy-to-use TV with a lot of really cool features. Picture quality is very good and highly adjustable. Plus it's a handsome piece of hardware with its thin frame and nearly all-glass face. Yes, I have a few gripes, but there were plenty of cool surprises to offset them. Five stars.

[Add comment]