4.0 out of 5 stars Great game, captures the HK theme really well, August 25, 2012
This review is from: Sleeping Dogs [Download] (Software Download)
I was surprised how well they put the Cantonese dialect in here. Bystanders, radio stations (some not all) were completely in Cantonese making it really feel like you're in Hong Kong not some stereotypical Chinatown with broken "Engrish". Even the NPCs that do speak English do the accent really well even if it is stereotyping. But this is completely how Chinese speak English so props to them for capturing it just right.

The dialogue in this game is great I think. Though some transitions from English to one-word canto phrases can get some brush ups, but for the most part it flows nicely.
Although many can probably argue about this, but I think you gain a greater appreciation for the game if you know Cantonese. Myself being canto, I crack up at conversations solely spoken in Cantonese in the game. Although you definitely do not need to know Canto to play this game, understanding it will enhance your attachment to sleeping dog's world. Even the billboards with Chinese are hilarious to read.

SPOILER: Mr and Mrs. Chu's babbling in the kitchen is hilarious.

This game is a lot different from any sandbox game I've played thus far. The environmental attacks and interactions are great (tho it can sometimes be a bit repetitive?) The fighting can get hard if you do not time your counters (fighting is similar to Batman games if you ever played it). It offers a great alternative to your typical guns blazing GTA tho.

I did not give this 5 stars because I think this game can be completed fairly short for a open-world sandbox game. I'm only 7 hours in and I already found about half of all the secrets and 30% into the game. I feel like I can completely finish this in 20-25 hours, that's short for any game I believe as I love taking my time to explore, which I am doing within those mentioned 7 hours.

Driving on the other side of the road will get accustomed to you quickly after a few rides here and there. It's not like you follow the law in these games anyways (that's right, all those who drive in the middle of the road! Including me..>.>)

Driving is a lot different here than in GTA games I've played, it's much more intense. The air car jacking is awkward in my opinion. Because close enough will easily get you to automatically take control of the car without a fight. I would love to see them require you to perform button responses to successfully air jack a car whilst you're on the roof.

To Sum Up:
Pros:
-Great dialogue (better if you know Cantonese)
-Great story (like a real Hong Kong Cop Drama movie)
-Colorful city (all the neon lights are purtyyyyy)
-Bone-breaking action fights
-Nice driving (screen blurs when driving high speeds)

Cons:
-Secrets are easily exploitable (and in legal non-cheat methods!)
-Repetitive fighting moves and take-downs.
-Some fights are REALLY REALLY hard (you're very vulnerable apparently)
-Map is somewhat small compared to say GTA:San Andres (though still an appropriate size)
-Believed to be a very quick play through and 100% game completion (THIS IS JUST MY SPECULATION)

Conclusion: if you like Open-sand box games, get it. If you are Cantonese, DEFINITELY get it. I recommended this to friends who hate GTA games and they are playing this!

Performance on PC:

Specs:
AMD Phenom x6 1055T 2.8GHz OCed to 3.0GHz
12GB G.Skill DDR3
6850HD 1GB Sapphire DDR5 GPU
Asus Crosshair Formula IV Mobo
256GB 830 Samsung SSD
Frio Thermaltake CPU Cooler
1TB Samsung Spinpoint F3 7200RPM (although I'm pretty sure this piece is irrelevant here)

I run on 1920x1080 60z with high AA, high shadow and filter, and maxed settings on everything else.
I run a constant 30, max at 60.2, and min at 20

USE A CONTROLLER it's so much better to play with than mouse and keyboard...

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]