1.0 out of 5 stars Bland, Boring -- Would not play again!, March 7, 2010
= Fun:1.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past (Video Game)
Perhaps it's my fault. I played the original Legend of Zelda for NES and I loved it. The gameplay was fantastic and it kept me busy for many weekends. So when Link to the Past hit the shelves, I hit the ground running to the nearest game store to pick up a copy. I can't tell you how disappointed I was after four hours of playing -- but I'll try to tell you anyway.

The introduction to this game is beautiful -- cutscenes and wonderfully rendered 16-bit graphics laying out the lore of Hyrule and preparing you to start your journey as Link. This is as good as it gets, people.

The game begins with you (Link) in your uncle's house. As link awakens, he sees his uncle, dressed for battle. The uncle instructs Link to wait for him to return as he leaves the house.

Minutes pass. More minutes pass. Link's uncle said we couldn't leave the house, but he didn't say anything about the bed, right?! I hop down from the bed and walk around the modest home my virtual uncle has made for himself. It's pretty boring.

An hour passes. I try to play with some of the assorted jars on his shelf, but to no avail. Oh ho, but there are some pots I can pick up next to the bed -- they're quite breakable, though, I learned. Link's uncle would be most displeased to find his pots in a crumbled mess on the floor -- if he ever CAME BACK.

After three and a half hours of waiting, I shut off the Super Nintendo, and sold my copy of the game. Nintendo, I don't know what you were thinking, but making an adventure game that imposes rules on the player and confine them to a home is NOT my idea of adventuring! "I'll be back in the morning." Were you trying to teach children about coping with patriarch-figure abandonment? This uncle left Link to rot!

I would not play this game again.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 41 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 13, 2010 11:35:50 PM PST
Hylian Link says:
With all due respect, this is quite possibly the worst game review I have ever read. I find it very hard to believe that anyone who plays The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past would not think to leave Link's house in search of his uncle. And to think that the same person actually completed The Legend of Zelda 1? Everyone who's ever played the game - except for this reviewer, apparently - has figured out that s/he needs to leave the house. There is Princess Zelda's call for help, telling the player where she is, there's the wide open door at the bottom of the screen, and there's a Lantern in the treasure chest, which can be used to lighten up dark areas. How the reviewer completely failed to realize that s/he needed to leave the house is beyond me.

Anyone who is even considering playing A Link to the Past - on the Super NES, the GBA, or the Virtual Console - should avoid this review of the game. Instead, they should read reviews written by people who actually figured out the easiest "puzzle" in the whole game (leave the house and try to find the castle), not that it's even a puzzle... Of course, the review could also be just a blatant hoax by someone who strongly dislikes the game.

Posted on Apr 12, 2010 11:51:37 AM PDT
Sean D. Hall says:
That was really funny. The game has enough 5-star ratings that it can stand a 1-star. It shows that even this near 20 year old game is not linear; you were given the choice to find your uncle or wait in the house and smash pots.

Posted on Apr 22, 2010 8:09:55 PM PDT
That was HALARIOUS!!! I'm just gonna happily assume this was a joke because theres NO WAY somebody would smash 3 pots FOR 4 HOURS and NOT WALK OUT THE DOOR!

ROFL!!!!!!!

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 11, 2010 2:37:50 PM PDT
M. King says:
Hahaha, wow. I thought it was a joke at first and thought he shouldnt type all of that just to give a bad review. I wonder if he will ever find out what we are saying about his review or if he ever playes it again and notices the door at the bottom. How could you sit down for 3 hours anyway looking at the same thing. And he even said it was for the snes not the gameboy. Like @Hylian Link said at the top of this page "And to think that the same person actually completed The Legend of Zelda 1?" hahahahaha!!!! this made my week.

Posted on Aug 19, 2010 9:42:47 PM PDT
Anne says:
LOL, damn dude.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 31, 2010 7:43:34 PM PDT
Gamer says:

Posted on Sep 3, 2010 6:58:20 PM PDT
Joke reviews are the best! Ha!

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 14, 2010 1:26:01 AM PDT
A. Dorman says:
*whoosh*

Posted on Sep 14, 2010 7:17:42 AM PDT
DonHefe says:
The same thing happened to me. I bought the game on SNES years and every few months I check back in with Link. I am starting to think that Uncle is not returning, but I will not give up.

Posted on Sep 14, 2010 8:43:07 AM PDT
S. Recinto says:
See the problem is that you only waited 4 hours, if you waited a full 8 - 10 hours, Links uncle returns only he is covered in mud, bruised up pretty badly and in a very foul mood. He then proceeds to beat link with a belt for being out of bed and for breaking pots... this is where you can decide to defeat your uncle (since you only have pots at your disposal this may be difficult) or call out to the guards for domestic violence, prompting an endless flow of guards to come in and attack your uncle until he is defeated. Having inherited the house from your now departed uncle, you get a letter in the mail explaining instruction on how to make money by improving his dilapidated farm. There is a small town you can purchase seed and tools from as well as by live stock (i.e. cows and chickens) and you can even find a nice girl in town and get married. It was a pretty cool game at that point so I would at least give it 2 stars (2 to offset the long wait time for your uncle to return and 1 for after you get married, the wife starts nagging you about things to do on the farm... its very annoying)
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.8 out of 5 stars (205 customer reviews)

Used & New from: $31.97