5.0 out of 5 stars Very Pleased, December 9, 2011
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
I have researched for over three months now about what to buy. My set up requires me to play Xbox on mute most of the time which sucks, so I've been looking for some headphones to let me hear my games and not disturb anyone else. These are wonderful. I bought them along with the DSS Dolby Digital 7.1 Decoder *check my other reviews to see my thoughts on the DSS 7.1 Decoder*. I was looking for a pair that had the 7.1 (yes I know it's not "real" 7.1) built in, but I've read and heard bad things about the wireless (unless you go super-high end). The wire on this is really not a big deal and not a mess at all. The sound is phenomenal. My father works at an Acoustic Engineering firm and gave these a try and was very impressed for the price point. The sound is awesome and with the DSS makes you aware of where everything is as you move around. Understand that these are 2.1 channel speakers and Xbox only puts out 5.1 channels, so it's not true 7.1, but you won't care once you put them on. When I play an FPS I like to stand near explosions or fires and spin in circles just to hear the sounds move around in my headphones. It's not just for FPS either. I have played sports games, FPS, RPG and racing and it really puts you in the action. It's strange to take them off and realize how quiet it is in the room with how much sound those things really pump into your ears. The separate controls for chat and game are great and the bass boost really does make a difference. My first try with them was 3+ hours and they were never uncomfortable or required readjustment--they just feel nice.

I would highly suggest the wired version and if you want to move past the RCA outputs on the Xbox, get the DSS decoder (it has an optical input)--the sound is digital and you won't believe what you've been missing through TV speakers. I was a skeptic for a long time and have tried many of my friends and relatives various headsets (Tritton 360, Turtle Beach X41, and the new Tritton Trigger) this was better than all of them. For what I paid, you can't beat this product. If you've been on the fence about it, just get it. If you have been debating it, just get it. If you need to keep the place quiet and don't want to miss out on the mind numbing sounds, just get it. These are awesome.

If you would like to leave a comment with any questions you have, feel free--this took me a long time to reach a decision, so I've learned a lot. I would gladly offer my advice and OPINION. Remember that folks, reviews are opinions not the Gospel.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-3 of 3 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 17, 2012 9:16:46 AM PST
Garen says:
Hey man what would be your best pick of turtle beaches for under $100 and do you prefer these over the x31?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 17, 2012 9:29:01 AM PST
regularJason says:
Hey Bro,
I prefer wired headsets over ANY wireless headset. The problem is that most of the wireless (except the new Tritton Xbox Brand) run on 2.4 Ghz, which means you get a ton of interference (especially if you're using a wireless connection for your xbox live). Phones, microwaves, wireless (especially N) can all ruin your signal and give you loud popping noises. Now with the 31's you also need to know that the wireless technology is old (the 41's have a newer technology built in) what this means is the wireless transmitter and your headset need to be in direct view of each other at all times to work. Even someone walking in front of you can disrupt the signal and cause you to sync the set again.
So, I would say the X12's are great for fixing all of those problems, coupled with the fact that they have 50 mm speakers in them and are super comfy I would recommend them first and foremost. I have had zero problems with them and still love the sound. I use them almost everyday. Hope that helps, let me know if you need anything else.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 5, 2013 8:38:23 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 5, 2013 8:42:29 AM PST
MAUL xx says:
I use an avr for audio but need some cans for late night gaming. Can I connect the x12s so I dont have to switch wires when using xbox or ps3? Also, will I have to go into the audio settings for xbox & or ps3 and change settings every time I use them? I guess what Im asking is can I connect these phones & run digital audio via hdmi through my avr while similtaneously getting stereo through the x12s for both 360 & ps3?
‹ Previous 1 Next ›