3.0 out of 5 stars Good Game, Shoddy Console Port, April 27, 2012
This review is from: The Walking Dead [Online Game Code] (Software Download)
Episode 1 Review:

I'm a fan of the both the Walking Dead show and the comics, and I'm also a fan of Telltale and adventure gaming as a whole. This game creates its world from the comics and has a similar sense of dread and terror, sprinkled with some mild humor. It's an original story that intersects with characters, locales, and events from the comics. It's all about the characters, and the decision-based gameplay will definitely encourage multiple playthroughs. The graphics are pretty good for a Telltale title; it won't win any awards but the look captures the comics (and an overall comic feel) pretty well. I'd give the game about 4 stars - pretty good, but not for everyone.

My main gripe, however, is that this is clearly a console port with little-to-no care in tailoring it to PC gamers. The "Controls" option just brings up a picture of an Xbox 360 controller - no options to remap keys or even anything to tell you what the keys are. It's not too hard to figure out in-game, but not even simply showing Keyboard/Mouse users what the controls are before starting the game (not even counting the fact that you can't reassign the controls), seems to me like a pretty big omission.

I have a 360 controller for my PC and am getting accustomed to developers favoring a particular control method (Darksiders and Mass Effect come to mind), so I thought I'd just switch to that instead. That's when I noticed that the game doesn't have any option to invert look. That, to me, was an even larger omission/error than not being able to reassign KB/M controls. I imagine to some gamers, this could be an absolute deal-breaker with either input option. I was (kind-of) able to get used to non-inverted looking, but it still caused many user errors on my part because of what my brain is trained to do naturally.

Overall, I still think it's a good game and worth the price. Being that (as of my writing this), only 1 out of the 5 episodes has been released, there is still time for some of these egregious omissions to be remedied. Just be wary before buying if these issues would affect your good time.

It also uses Steam. I like Steam but, clearly, not everyone does so keep that in mind as well.

UPDATE 7/31/13:

I've finally gotten around to finishing the game and, unfortunately, many of the issues I had with the game were left unfixed. The only change was in the "Controls" option which now has a picture of the KB/M controls instead of just the Xbox controls, depending on what you are currently using. I used a PS3 controller with MotioninJoy to invert the Y Axis as tools like x360ce, Durazno, and JoytoKey were unable to do the job with the 360 controller.

My 4 star review of the game itself still stands; I thought that the game was very good, not exceptional, and certainly not for everyone. Though the choices you make don't amount to a whole lot in the end, the journey and possible variations, I believe, can still lead to some replayability.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-5 of 5 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jul 16, 2012 12:55:14 PM PDT
Kattmandu says:
I, too, play with the 360 controller for Windows and invert the Y-axis. It is disappointing that all games which support the controller don't incorporate a feature to invert.

Posted on Sep 16, 2012 7:58:29 AM PDT
Ugh man, thanks for the heads up about the controller stuff. I want to get this when there's a 60%+ discount deal on Steam or elsewhere; but not being able to invert the Y-axis is just horrible. I've always thought it's completely unnatural feeling to play with the "regular" Y-axis for controller aiming and can't stand games where you use the axis frequently for viewing, aiming, etc. that don't have the option to change it. Man I hope that maybe they'll fix this with a patch because it's just ludicrous not to have that option on games that use it in this day in age.

Good, overall informative review, thanks! :)

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 29, 2012 7:03:23 AM PDT
R. Dege says:
Agreed. The inability to invert the y-axis means I'll be spending my money elsewhere. Guess I'll settle for watching the TV series instead =)

Posted on Nov 5, 2012 9:23:58 AM PST
Steven says:
So many people complain about it when developers omit the Y-axis invert, you'd think all developers would freakin' understand how important this is by now. It's been years since this has become a major issue.

Posted on Dec 27, 2012 8:12:11 PM PST
Chris Arthur says:
Wow, I'm SO glad I read this comment. No invert look? I'd be all over the freakin place. Sad, because I really wanted this :(
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

3.9 out of 5 stars (323 customer reviews)

$24.99