4.0 out of 5 stars Nice monitor in $350 price range., November 16, 2011
Beautiful image set in a good, unobtrusive matte bezel. I replaced a deceased TN panel with this, it's wonderful no longer having viewing angle or a photo's location on-screen affecting brightness and contrast when I process things. The stand seems sturdy and has nice tilt, rotation and height adjustments.

Out-of-the-box default settings had the panel WAY too bright and it seemed to have a bit of a cold cast; if like me you don't have calibration equipment TFT Central makes available a color profile you can try. That plus the brightness brought down to 35 worked well enough for me and images are beautiful, without their ICC I'm not sure I could've tuned it well "by eye" (it's amazing how quickly our eyes adjust to compensate for color casts).

I'm glad they kept the 16:10 Aspect ratio instead of 16:9, 1920x1200 has lots of real estate, and the only reason I'm not giving this 5 stars is that Dell is a pain to deal with if you haven't purchased directly from them. I had to call them three times (and ignore a thread in their forum where their "liason" misinformed me) before getting an employee who would deign to entertain my questions without an order number or service tag, finally a tech rep acknowledged for me that yes, the manufacturer's 3-year warranty (from time of manufacture at rear) remains valid despite my inability to obtain an order number.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 11 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 25, 2012 2:38:23 AM PST
Insite4U says:

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 25, 2012 8:11:53 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 25, 2012 8:32:35 AM PST
You'd have a point if it were only the vendor I was downrating for. If you buy this screen and have an issue with it at any point in its life, it is Dell you will be interfacing with, regardless of the vendor you got it from.

That star knocked off was not entirely Dell customer service either; out-of-the-box display settings were bad and had I not had luck with a custom profile from someone with expensive calibration equipment, I'd be less than impressed with this screen.

It's a good screen, 4/5 is a good rating, and the information is spelled out there for anyone who thinks maybe a 5-point rating system can't convey a whole lot (hint: it can't). It's a 4.5/5 star to me so I rated it 4/5; half stars don't exist and 5/5 implies at or very near perfection. Now tell me why I'm explaining this to you.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 26, 2012 9:20:37 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 26, 2012 9:22:08 AM PST
CallMeChaz says:
I agree with Morf that rating Dells CS is important, as you may well be dealing with them in the warranty cycle. And Morf is totally correct about ordering direct from Dell. And his rating reduction was conservative and fair.

After shipping my order all the way to our local depot, Dell made the shipper to return it for some administrative problem they had with my order. Nothing like waiting till it's at my doorstep instead of working it out before shipping it! They called my cell phone, but left no message or specific phone number to call back. No one at the caller's ID number could tell me why they called me. Dell's website promises an EMAIL message if there is a problem. Their phone rep lied and said I did not give them an email address--funny since they sent me two order confirmations by email. Three minutes late when I accidently gave her a different email address, she said that was not the one I used on my order! She couldn't even keep her lies straight.

Long story short, she took the hold off my account and said I could go online and reorder! Akkk. No way. I will get it from Amazon or elsewhere for a bit more. Dell has always had HORRIBLE customer service--pray you don't need to use it!

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 26, 2012 10:24:36 AM PST
I in fact DIDN'T order direct from Dell in my case, DataMaster LLC was the vendor, but I had questions about the warranty and that's something you will always want from the horse's mouth (Dell). I wouldn't even rely on a local retailer's word on a warranty, let alone the distant volume-dealing warehouses we often buy from on Amazon.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 27, 2012 9:14:32 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 27, 2012 9:15:20 AM PDT
Book buyer says:
Phillip that's a stupid comment. It is a Dell product and therefore service is Dells issue. This is really obvious.

Posted on Mar 28, 2012 3:35:20 AM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Mar 28, 2012 3:35:45 AM PDT]

Posted on Mar 30, 2012 5:48:32 AM PDT
Acontius says:
A good review includes any customer service issues with the product. It speaks to the company that made the product and the total ownership experience of the product.

Let's allow reviewers give us their opinions without being scolded, as long as the opinions are honest and relevant to owning and using the product.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 30, 2012 6:07:28 AM PDT
Thien Tang says:
Completely agree! And let be civilized. If you have a contrary opinion make it known without resorting to harsh words.
I could see both sides. Wish Amazon has a separate ranking for service. Too often, the actual product rating was skewed because the users have ranked the service, the shipping delay, etc..

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 4, 2012 12:07:40 PM PDT
Book buyer says:
On what planet should those things NOT be considered about a product?

Posted on Dec 1, 2012 8:40:38 AM PST
Jimh615 says:
Reviewer is correct....Dell Tech Support is a massive pain to deal with. I bought a computer from them; eventually I had to trash the computer because the part to fix it was on back order for two months......hours on hold each time to talk to Bangalore, India.

Thank you for reminding me.....I'll skip this monitor.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›