95 of 102 people found the following review helpful
Awesome clarity and color, Dell quality and looks fantastic with edge to edge glass!,
Verified Purchase(What's this?)
This review is from: Dell S2740L 27-Inch Screen LED-lit Monitor (Discontinued by Manufacturer) (Personal Computers)
I purchased this after a co-worker purchased the Dell Ultrasharp series monitor for graphics work. This monitor is flawless and beautiful in every way. No dead pixels. No fuzziness or aberrations at the corners or edges. AMAZING color and clarity.
DIMENSIONS: Important note about size - the Amazon description gives the size of the monitor in the box, not the actual measurements.
- Actual screen dimensions without the frame is 23 1/2" wide X 13 1/4" high.
- Screen dimensions including the 7/8" frame is 25 1/4" wide X 15" high.
- Height including the base stand is between 18" and 18 1/2" depending on how much it is tilted.
(These are physical measurements, not to be confused with stated "screen size" which is measured diagonally, which of course is 27" in this case)
RESOLUTION: AMAZING! I have it set at the maximum 1920 X 1080 and I LOVE IT! I can fit so much on the screen its amazing. Photos and graphics are vivid and clear, text is crisp and easy to read with Outlook emails, and everything just "pops" with vivid clarity. One important note is that 1920 X 1080 is a widescreen format, and gamers might want a 1920 X 1200 format. But otherwise there is NOTHING lacking in the visible resolution.
WARRANTY: 3 Years. This is somewhat confusing, as I have seen this same monitor listed on different sites with both a 1 year warranty and a 3 year warranty. Even the Dell website shows this monitor as having only a 1 Year warranty. So I called Dell customer support, provided the serial number of the S2740L purchased from Amazon, and they confirmed that it DID have a 3 year warranty when purchased separately, and I got that in writing. If you were to purchase this same monitor as part of a Dell computer system, however, it would ONLY HAVE A 1 YEAR WARRANTY. This doesn't seem logical, but that's what they said. So if you plan to buy this monitor, buy it separately and not as part of a system.
- Edge to edge glass looks VERY sexy and sleek.
- Minimal frame, only 7/8" wide border means maximum screen size for the space it takes up.
- Amazing color and clarity; deep blacks, bright whites, no dullness at all.
- Super thin! I had that same surprise like when I first took my Kindle out of the box - WOW it is is thin!
- External power supply! I was specifically looking for a monitor with an external power supply. First, the power supply is the most likely thing to go bad in a monitor. A bad external power supply is so much easier to replace. Second, the external power supply can be kept further away from the user, keeping more harmful EMF radiation further away.
- Excellent low-profile base, looks sharp and very balanced. Not likely to fall over.
- Comparable almost to the Dell UltraSharp - If you are a professional graphics person and you have the extra dollars, the Dell UltraSharp has reportedly better true color and better rendering, but you truly would have to be a professional to notice or appreciate the difference. Unless you do graphics for a living, this is definitely good enough.
- 3 Year Warranty! (When purchased separately - See above)
- A minor thing, but the glass is so shiny that it could reflect distracting light. Consider where you are using this, you may need to change the angle or change the locations of your lamps. This is a very small trade-off for the quality, but worth considering. You would be frustrated if you have a bright window behind your chair.
- Height of monitor not adjustable, but another very small thing, and a worthwhile trade-off for the stability of the base.
- USB ports do not maintain power when monitor is off. (Minor but worth mentioning)
BOTTOM LINE: You would have to spend hundreds of dollars more to get only a slightly better monitor. Buy this, you won't be disappointed.
*****UPDATE 05/25/15 - 2 1/2 years of constant use. Not ONE dead pixel. Not one issue. This monitor is SO good that I am now buying a second one. There are many other newer types of monitors on the market, but this one is such a solid build, I figure I would stick with a winner.
Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-9 of 9 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 10, 2012 6:25:23 AM PST
Michael T says:
What is the warranty on this Dell S2740L IPS monitor??
In reply to an earlier post on Dec 10, 2012 2:22:33 PM PST
Bob H says:
Mike, the warranty is 3 years. This wasn't initially clear to me either, so I called Dell. See the updated details in my review in the WARRANTY section. Thanks for finding my review helpful.
In reply to an earlier post on Dec 13, 2012 5:36:54 AM PST
Michael T says:
Thank you so very much - placed an order for my S2740L today.
Posted on Dec 17, 2012 3:38:00 PM PST
just ordered from newegg which also states 3 year warranty.........i guess i will have to get the warranty in writing........this should be easier!!!!
Posted on Jan 19, 2013 12:15:48 AM PST
The size is always measured from corner to corner diagonally
In reply to an earlier post on Jan 20, 2013 6:39:01 PM PST
Bob H says:
Yes, you are correct. But I was referring to the physical measurements that were listed in the Amazon description (length X width), not the 27" screen size. But good point though, and I added a statement on my measurements sections to make sure that I am not confusing anyone there.
Posted on Feb 3, 2013 2:10:09 AM PST
Larry Almeda says:
Dells site right now has it for $2.89 dollars. A few dollars over 300.00 because of tax but free shipping and its for a limited time as of now.
Just in case someone wants a better price than Amazon.
In reply to an earlier post on Feb 26, 2013 2:44:38 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Mar 2, 2013 3:04:07 PM PST
Garald D. McKinley says:
Bob,I have spent 4 days with amazon.com and Dell customer service, back and forth. The best I have come up with is just a 1year warranty from Dell ?
Posted on Mar 8, 2013 6:27:27 PM PST
Very helpful info. Does this monitor have a vesa mount?
‹ Previous 1 Next ›