5.0 out of 5 stars The Resistance Trilogy - Book 2 - AMAZING!!, April 21, 2012
This review is from: The Gates (The Resistance Trilogy, Book 2) (Paperback)
Now folks I know that some of you may have read my mini-review back in February when I finished the book. But I also know that there will be those that didn't. So if you are one of the ones that did, please bear with me if I seem to be going over the same things as I did back then.

Firstly, my cover-art magpie side tells me to address the cover for THE GATES. So, let's get to it.
The cover for this is slightly darker than that of AMARANTH. This has a less ethereal quality to it than Amaranth did. It's slightly more edgy.
I didn't understand the symbolism of either cover at first. It wasn't until I read the stroies I understood their covers. So for me, having read this, I now look at the cover with fresh eyes. It really appeals to me and I love the things that were chosen to depict this great story.

"She's gone on long enough about the cover" I hear you shout. Okay, I will get on with my review.

As with the cover, the story itself was slightly darker this time. Though just as alluring as Amaranth was.
It was an action packed story that had me on the edge of my seat and staying awake late at night just because I was so captivated and couldn't stop turning the pages.
THE GATES has a mixture of love, happiness and joy, sadness, loss and sorrow. For me, it is the perfect amount of all of those things. It's not too 'fairy-tale love, fingers down throat etc'. But it's also not too much the other way either.

I love the whole Gavin and Camille relationship. They have a love that transcends everything. They may not have been together long but they are strong and battle ready. Which really is a good thing when you add the nasty little wretch Scarlet into the mix. I can't tell you who she is, or why I hate her. All I can say is well done Rachael. I hated Scarlet. I think she was added in like putting a cat amongst the pigeons. You'll never achieve a sense of equilibrium with Scarlet around. She was a minx and I despise her, but she was written well and the character fitted perfectly within he story. I hope we see more of her, but I also hope that one day Cam gets to tear her limb from limb. That would be a sight to behold! (hint hint Rach)

Her Majesty, Samira, is just as evil as she ever was. If not worse. We get to find out a secret she has kept from Gavin for many years. It reminded me just what a horrible woman she is. She brings a whole new meaning to the term cold-hearted *****!

The main bright points for me were the times when Gav and Cam were able to be alone and show each other that throughout anything and everything, their love can remain strong. It brings a new meaning to the phrase "Love Conquers All".

This book is action packed. Full of twists and turns that shock not only the characters but the reader too. The tear flowed for me at just past the halfway point. I swore I would not cry but my eyes betrayed me.
The phrase "It never rains, but it pours" springs to mind. There was never just one thing to get over, instead there were almost too many. I didn't think my heart could take any more of a beating. But just when I thought it couldn't take any more, the story was over and I was going to be okay after all.
I stayed up late into the night to finish this and found myself shattered and owed a big long sleep. I just couldn't put it down. Even when I knew I was tired and must go to bed, I still pushed myself beyond that. Such is my dedication to a good book? Yes. But also, such is my impatience to know what happened next!

I won't tell you more as I find my fingers are itching to run away with me and become too 'spoilery' and I know you would never forgive me for ruining it for you. All I can say is, I am really very happy that Rachael gave me an ARC. I am forever grateful to her. However, the one downside of having a book so early before its release, I will have to wait even linger for the next one!

I cannot wait for The Tragedy of Knowledge (book #3). Knowing Rachael, she will make it one hell of a kicker so that the trilogy goes out with a BANG!!

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]