Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Songs of Summer Explore Premium Audio Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing little wonder, May 25, 2012
This review is from: Olympus OM-D E-M5 16MP Live MOS Mirrorless Digital Camera with 3.0-Inch Tilting OLED Touchscreen [Body Only] (Black) (Discontinued by Manufacturer) (Electronics)
First, who I am: I'm an avid street photographer who usually has 1-2 gallery showings a year and occaisionally gets my photos picked up by the papers--I've been into photography for alomost 50 years and teach it at the university level. While I bought the camera with the 12-50mm kit lens, most of my shooting has been with the Panasonic/Leica 25mm f:1.4 lens, as I just prefer shooting with a fast, standard focal length, prime lens. I'm just telling you this because some of the things that might wow me might be inconsequential to a novice photographer who just wants to point and shoot (although the camera does that as well).

All of that out of the way, this camera is just plain nuts (in a good way). Unless you're really splitting hairs, this tiny little camera can pull in virtually the same shots that a big, bulky, pro DSLR can. Honest. I've been getting stunning images in the most photographically problematic situations ever since I started shooting with this thing--If you don't believe me, go to [...] and do your own side by side comparisons. Did I say it was small? Not only can you carry it with you all day, but when you hold it in your hands you just know that the magesium frame is going to take all the abuse you can throw at it. This camera doesn't just look like the legendary Olympus OM-1 & 2 cameras from the 1970's it's inheritted the very same strong and sveldt spirit which made them so appreciated by both professional photojournalists and enthusiasts.

Aside from the size and image quality, this camera is also blistering fast with its autofocus--as in how can it do it that fast? But as frosting on the cake, the auto zoom-in of the EVF when manually focussing makes going that route a snap, even for somebody with poor eyesight, like me--way beyond what one can do easily on a DSLR. And while a mere 9 frames per second might just be so-so for a pro DSLR, it's plenty fast for more than 99% of the photographers out there. I could go on and on.

The worst part of owning this camera now is that every day I have to look at well over $10,000 in my DSLR gear which I haven't touched since getting this mighy mite.

If you're serious about photography and want a cary-with-you-anywhere-do-anything camera, and you can afford the serious money that Olympus is asking for this camera, just do it.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-6 of 6 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jun 2, 2012 9:02:10 AM PDT
Thanks for your comment! I appreciate it very much coming from someone with your background in photography.

Posted on Nov 3, 2012 8:11:03 AM PDT
Jose Rivero says:
"And while a mere 9 frames per second might just be so-so for a pro DSLR" The 6,000 USD Nikon D4 does 9-11 fps and the 3,000 USD Nikon D800 does only 4 so I really would not call it mere 9 fps. (even with irony). Thanks for your review.

Posted on Nov 13, 2012 5:40:22 PM PST
Howard P says:
Thanks for the review. As a semi-pro photographer with thousands of dollars in SLR film equipment, I've been looking to go digital (bye darkroom). Problem is due to a neurological condition I can't handle the heft of a full-size camera. I also shoot with a fast prime lens, and manually. I've been looking at the digital Olympus Pen line w/interchangeable lens. What was missing was a viewfinder. It seems like this camera has it all. Close in features to full-size SLR, and I assume fast glass like yours would enable me to shoot with a narrow depth of field. If all of this is true, I'd love to know, and I'm sold. (BTW-still have several Olympus film cameras; built like tanks.)

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 31, 2012 5:43:46 PM PST
The D800 is a 36mp camera. It's not intended for sports-but rather for landscape

Posted on Apr 29, 2015 6:23:31 AM PDT
S. Adams says:
Amazon took out your reference to the link you had to your pics in your review. But, if you post it in this comments area, it won't be removed. Could you please do that? I'm a street photographer hobbyist myself and would love to see your page. Thanks.

Posted on Apr 29, 2015 6:38:08 AM PDT
S. Adams says:
Never mind, Al! I found you on Flickr. Very nice stuff! :)
‹ Previous 1 Next ›