The manufacturer commented on the review belowSee comments
4.0 out of 5 stars Proceed, but with some caution, March 27, 2012
This review is from: Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 4 Upgrade [Old Version] (DVD-ROM)
-------------------------------------------
Update (4/23/12):
Subject: Proceed, but with some caution
Rating: 4 stars
-------------------------------------------
Adobe - thank you for the comment and update release. I have since upgraded to 4.1RC. Initially, I did not experience a noticeable performance gain. However, I did find this article posted on your website helpful (Search: 'Lightroom Help / Optimize performance | Lightroom'). After following the recommendations, there was a noticeable increase in performance (after a couple hours of use). The changes I made were: Taking a Backup, Optimizing the Catalog, and Increasing the size of the Camera Raw Cache (from 1GB to 25GB). For testing notes - my catalog has approximately 6,000 images, mostly taken with a Canon 5D MKII. The total catalog size is approximately 600-700MB.

The current performance is still just a tad slower than my version 2 environment, but the current version has gone from being completely intolerable to very workable. In 4-6 hours of usage since the update, I have experienced 1 crash while using Noise Reduction in the Develop module.

Given the downtime I have experienced, in the future I will be waiting for an update release before considering the purchase of a new version. However, I have found two of the new feature considerably useful. The soft proofing, while not replacing the need for a hard proof, has helped me get closer, quicker in a few instances. Also, the ability to selectively edit white balance is an awesome thing. Blending light sources has always been a bit of a challenge for me, but it is a bit easier with this feature. Thank you!

Ryan

------------------------------------------------
Orig Post (3/27/12):
Subject: Don't buy yet...wait until they fix it
Rating: 2 stars
------------------------------------------------
Other reviewers have covered the main problem fairly well. The performance of the new version dragggggggs. It feels like you're trying to walk up a mountain in 3 feet of new snow (without snowshoes).

In my case, I have a dedicated PC for photoediting (Win764bit, i3 dualcore, 8gb ram). This should be plenty of machine. Almost no other software is installed, except for Lightroom and Photomatix Pro.

I upgraded from Lightroom 2 to 4, and I wish I hadn't *Yet*. The new version has great potential, but I advise not purchasing or installing until adobe releases a fix for the MAJOR problem that all of us early adopters (read testers / focus group) are experiencing. Keep an eye out for updates.

Cheers,
Ryan

stem
The manufacturer commented on this review(What's this?)
Posted on Mar 27, 2012 9:15:55 PM PDT
Hi Ryan,

The team has tracked down some performance fixes/tuning that will be available in build along with fixes for a few other top issues that were affecting users: http://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/topics/lightroom_4_update_from_the_team_update_scheduled_for_this_week

Thanks for your patience.

Jeff Tranberry
Adobe Systems, Product Manager, Customer Advocacy - Digital Imaging

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 3 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 11 posts in this discussion
A comment by the manufacturer   (What's this?)
Initial post: Mar 27, 2012 9:15:55 PM PDT
Hi Ryan,

Thanks for your patience.

Jeff Tranberry
Adobe Systems, Product Manager, Customer Advocacy - Digital Imaging

Posted on Mar 29, 2012 5:35:48 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 29, 2012 6:33:06 PM PDT
I too bought LR4 and can confirm that it is slower in the develop module in comparison to LR3. It appears that there is now an Release Candidate for LR4.1 that should be faster plus provides support for the 5D Mark III (a camera I will be getting soon). I am currently downloading the RC and will give it a try ASAP with a 5D Mark III RAW photo (from dpreview) that I've been waiting to process in LR4. Since this will wipe my current installation of LR4, I hope that this doesn't screw up my licensing.

LR4.1 RC: http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/lightroom4-1/?tabID=details#tabTop

Update:
I just tried the RC and it does seem faster when using the sliders and now similar to LR3, but just a bit slower. I'm running Win 7 Pro with a 3GHz quad core processor and SSD. However, the sliders seem a little bit more jumpy and not as buttery smooth as before, but only a little. This however isn't a big concern for me since I'm usually looking at the image while adjusting the sliders. I did process a noisy (12800 ISO) 5D Mark III image and I liked what I saw. Hopefully Adobe will be able to make it even faster.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 29, 2012 7:17:45 PM PDT
Thanks for the update Jermaine. I'll pass along your feedback to the team. And, yes, the team has continually tuned performance through all the version updates in the past, and will continue to tweak things.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 23, 2012 5:54:40 AM PDT
What I've found is that if you only use one monitor, everything is as smooth as you expect. When I put 2 monitors into the mix, be it 4.0 or RC4.1, things start to lag when pulling sliders around.

I've also found I had to nuke my custom monitor profiles. When I did that, moving sliders on a single monitor setup, even with the 4.0 release, was MUCH smoother than "right out of the box."

In reply to an earlier post on May 11, 2012 9:55:06 PM PDT
L. Aurich says:
I am using LR 4.1 RC2. It is faster for some of the Develop module adjustments; but still very slow overall. When I switch from using the 2012 process to an earlier one, the performance is much, much faster. With LR 3 I was very fast in processing a day's worth of shooting; now it takes 2-3 times longer. I keep checking back at the Adobe website hoping there will be another bug fix; but nothing yet. Sigh.

I'm using a MacBook Pro with 4GB RAM (the maximum possible) with a 2.2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo.

In reply to an earlier post on May 28, 2012 12:59:26 PM PDT
When is the final upgrade is going to take place?

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 18, 2012 7:49:54 PM PDT
Greg K says:
Hey Jeff

I love using Lightroom but what ever happened to the Auto Tone option?!! Now it is completely off and useless! I used to use it to get initial settings right but now it is very useless, it is either VERY dark or VERY light and is NEVER correct

Thanks and hope you can help in fixing this too

Greg

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 18, 2012 8:34:32 PM PDT
Hi Greg,

Thanks. Yes. This is on the team's radar. Add your "me too" here to get notified when it's been addressed. http://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/topics/lightroom_4_auto_tone_adjustment_in_2012_process_doesnt_work_properly

Posted on Aug 24, 2012 8:05:40 PM PDT
Ryan: 8 gb of ram is paltry: you need at least 24 and you will be happy

Posted on Oct 14, 2012 5:10:32 PM PDT
EdM says:
64 bit Win 7 is not only good but needed; OTOH a dual core i3 is woeful IMO. Plus, 8 GB or ram is not so hot. Also, you need a fast HD with plenty of free space for scratch space and the like.

I am aware that Adobe says that what you have is sufficient, but for fast processing especially of large batches of raw files, it really is not, IMO. For this reason, I give Adobe a black mark for not being more truthful about what the user needs for fast, performance processing, at least with more than a few tens of images to process. I typically do hundreds of raw files at a time.

I've been using a fast quad core Xeon with 12 GB of ram for the last few years for my photo-editing, and my only question is whether I'm going to up my ram significantly to the 24-32 GB area, or just get a whole new computer.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›

Review Details

Item

3.9 out of 5 stars (93 customer reviews)

Out of stock