Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Stephen Marley Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer showtimemulti showtimemulti showtimemulti  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Water Sports

5.0 out of 5 stars A no nonsense guide to a healthier life - fast read, January 7, 2014
This review is from: A Short Guide to a Long Life (Kindle Edition)
I recently read an interesting article about David B Agus MD in Wired magazine about his clients and what he did for them. Many celebrities swear by his way of treating illness, cancer and promoting a healthier lifestyle. Among the many patients Dr. Agus treated were Steve Jobs, Neil Young, Robin Quivers, Ted Kennedy and Lance Armstrong. In fact, Howard Stern lauds Dr. Agus for saving Robin's life.

I recieved my Kindle download and immediately started reading this 208 page book. A lot of information to digest and I'm sure I will go back to reference many sections and reread this book many times.

Dr. Agus divides the book into three sections - What to DO, What to Avoid & Doctor's Orders. Each section has rules to live by, many you have heard before, some may be controversial, but all are explained in a simple, easy to read, fun to read, and expertly explained style. Some of my favorite rules were "Get Naked" and "Get off Your Butt More" and of course "Pick up a Pooch". Being a dog owner and lover, I found this very satisfying and certainly a confirmation of how I feel.

In the Doctor's Orders section, Dr. Agus goes through a quick checklist of guidelines for keeping up with your health for each age group from the 20's to the 70's and beyond. Common sense guidelines like prostate exams for older men, routine breast exams for women to A1C diabetes blood tests in your 20's if you have a family history.

The back section also has Top 10 lists, like Top 10 Foods High in Trans Fat or Top 11 Fish with Omega-3. I found these lists both interesting and useful, a tool to be referenced often.

Some of Dr. Agus' rules are already part of my life and routine, but in reading this book I am sure to look more closely at what I'm doing, eating, thinking, my relationships with my doctors and my daily activities and how they affect my quality of life and possibilities for a longer life.

Excellent, fast read. Highly recommended. I'll be buying copies for friends and relatives.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-4 of 4 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 11, 2014 8:48:28 AM PST
Caroline Y says:

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 11, 2014 8:54:33 AM PST
Nitty's Mom says:
I agree that some "rules" are controversial, as I stated in the review. This is what Dr. Agus believes and it's his book. I like to look at the positive and adopt those rules I feel best fit my lifestyle and what I feel will improve my health. Like all books, what you take out of it, is personal.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 13, 2014 7:33:52 AM PST
Caroline Y says:

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 13, 2014 7:55:47 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 13, 2014 9:52:30 AM PST
Nitty's Mom says:
I don't think Dr. Agus would disagree that having children is a serious issue. He states the rule won't be for everyone and he is expressing the statistic that people who have children outlive those who don't. As with the rest of this book, I'm confident most people will find rules they disagree on, but it shouldn't diminish the entire book. There is Yin and Yang in everything, including this book.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›