5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding for CPU-intensive games and everything else, June 20, 2012
This review is from: Intel Core i5-3570K Quad-Core Processor 3.4 GHz 4 Core LGA 1155 - BX80637I53570K (Personal Computers)
I recently upgraded from an AMD 955 CPU to an i5 3570k CPU, and I must say that Intel has gained another convert. This CPU will chew through any game, and I get much better performance than I ever did with the 955--the 3570k simply blows AMD out of the water. I do not do any sort of image editing or video encoding, so this review is written entirely from a gamer's perspective.

PROS:
-Great for extremely CPU-intensive games like the Total War games (Empire and Shogun 2 in particular). These games are fairly difficult to run smoothly at very high graphics settings due in large part to incredible (but demanding) particle effects, high unit density, shadow effects and many others, but the 3570k has no problems handling Empire at max settings (assuming you have a decent GPU to boot).
-I get much higher frame-rates and better performance in games like Crysis, Crysis 2, BF3, Max Payne 3, Empire: Total War, and Deus Ex 3 as well as older games like FEAR, Half-Life 2 and Rome: Total War.
-Achieves an overclock of 4.3-4.6GHz without much trouble at all (I've got mine at 4.5 GHz), at least on a Gigabyte Z77-UD3H motherboard.
-Using the Gigabyte Z77-UD3H MB I managed to OC to 4.3GHz with no stability issues at stock CPU Vcore voltage (1.13 V).
-Built-in Turbo boost feature clocks the 3570k up to 3.8GHz--which is a pretty decent boost and would be a good option for gamers who are uncomfortable with messing with BIOS settings to OC their CPUs.

-Almost identical to the 3770K in terms of gaming performance. Benchmark scores for a number of games show marginal (if any) improvements for the 3770k. Other benchmarks and certain games like the Total War series actually see improved frame-rates with the 3570k versus the 3770k.

CONS:
-It does run somewhat hot--I get temps in the high 70s, low 80s (deg C) with the Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO (with Arctic Silver 5 TIM) at 4.5GHz and 1.35 Volts. However, IB CPUs are designed to withstand more heat, so this is not a huge issue, but it may warrant considering a pricier cooler if you want to OC to around 5 GHz or higher.

OVERALL: The 3570k is an excellent CPU for any game on the market with a great performance-to-price ratio. Virtually all gaming performance benchmarks that you will find give near identical results for the 3570k and 3770k, so I would save yourself $100 and take the 3570K over the 3770k and put that money into a better graphics card or an SSD. If you already have a 2500k I would say that a 3570k is not worth the upgrade, but if you have anything older or are looking to switch over to Intel from AMD I would highly recommend it!

My PC specs:
Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz 8GB DDR3 RAM

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 6 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 13 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Sep 17, 2012 4:23:40 PM PDT
Saiko says:
Brian, what case do you use in your build? Thanks for the good review.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 17, 2012 6:31:04 PM PDT
Bryan says:
Thanks, Saiko. My case is a Cooler Master HAF 912. You can check it out here: http://www.coolermaster-usa.com/landing/haf912/home.php?page=specs.
I would highly recommend this case--it's pretty cheap (~$60), and it can accommodate virtually any build, and it has a lot of space that should be able to fit any heatsink currently on the market. It also supports water cooling, and has a great ventilation/air-flow setup. I'll also mention that I've got six 1850 rpm Scythe Gentle Typhoon fans cooling my case, and two GT fans attached to my Cooler Master 212 EVO in a push-pull configuration. Hope that helps!

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 17, 2012 6:35:23 PM PDT
Saiko says:
Thanks Bryan. I am getting the sibling of this case (the HAF 922) as part of a combo-deal at Newegg. Your feedback helps quite a bit since I know my components (very similar to yours) should all work fine in this setup.
Cheers!

Posted on Mar 1, 2013 11:34:41 AM PST
Chris says:
Hello, can you please recommend a ATX case for this ?

Thanks
Chris

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 1, 2013 1:40:54 PM PST
Hi Chris,

The Cooler Master HAF 912 is an ATX case that I would highly recommend. It goes for about $60, which is a pretty good deal, considering that it can accommodate almost any build. My HAF 912 fits every component very comfortably (see my PC build specs in the review above), and it can accommodate virtually any size CPU cooler on the market. If you're looking for max comfort (or plan on going SLI with say two GTX 680s or two 690s), then you might consider the larger HAF 922. It's a significantly bigger case, and it comes with a giant cooling fan on the top vent (controlled by LED touchscreen on front of case) as well as a few other fans, but it costs about $100. Both the HAF 912 and 922 are great choices--it just depends on if you're willing to spend extra $$$ for more space to work with. I'd go with the HAF 912 myself--plenty of room, easy to work with, and reasonable price.

Posted on Mar 6, 2013 9:57:22 AM PST
Kyle Johnson says:
Hey Brian, great review! I saw this video ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JIPtENTK7oo ) and I found it pretty much has the same items you listed.
Two questions:
-Would you not recommend a water cooling system(I read that they can break on you and leak)?
-That simple cpu fan is enough to keep the cpu from overheating even though it's clocked at 4.5?
-With this setup, can crysis1-2-3 be run on the highest settings/resolution?(just want a feel of how powerful it is)
Thanks for your time!

Posted on Mar 6, 2013 9:58:28 AM PST
Kyle Johnson says:
Woah! I meant three questions haha..

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 6, 2013 11:36:39 AM PST
Bryan says:
Thanks for your comments/questions, Kyle.

1. I have no experience with water cooling systems other than information I've gained from some basic internet research. As you mentioned in your question, my main concern with water cooling is the potential for breaking/leaking, which I've read in several cases permanently damages hardware components. I've also read that air cooling is at least as effective (if not more effective) than water cooling in many cases. I'd stick with air cooling, just to be safe (read my review of the CM 212 EVO--highly recommended CPU heatsink).

2. If you read my comment above (in reply to Saiko), I mentioned that I have six 1850 rpm Scythe Gentle Typhoon fans cooling my case, and two more Gentle Typhoon fans attached to my CPU Cooler Master 212 EVO in a push-pull configuration. These are great fans--very quiet, move A LOT of air, and they seem very durable. They'll cost you about ~$20-$25 on Amazon, but they're definitely worth the price. With the push-pull setup that I have on my CM 212 EVO, I can achieve an OC of 4.5, and I don't get temps above mid-80s deg C (based on RealTemp CPU stress test). The case stock fans are mediocre--they're alright for basic cooling, but they don't move nearly as much air as the Gentle Typhoons.

3. With my setup, I can easily run both Crysis 1 and 2 at max settings on my 1900x1200 monitor (1080p). Both games look gorgeous, and although I don't know exactly what frame-rates they run on my system, I can tell you that they both run extremely smoothly--no lagging or choppiness whatsoever (I'd guess ~60 FPS) for either game on my system. I have not yet purchased Crysis 3 (I'm waiting for the price to drop on that one), but I would expect that to run smoothly at max settings as well. My setup should be able to run almost any game at max settings for the next few years, so it's definitely a good investment if you don't want to upgrade for some time. However If you're a little strapped for cash I might suggest the GTX 670 over the GTX 680. Both are great cards, and the GTX 670 is nearly as good as the 680 for about ~$100-$150 less. For me, I like having the latest hardware, and price is not a huge issue, but even so I'm not willing to shell out $1000 for the 690 or Titan...

Hope that helps!

Bryan

In reply to an earlier post on May 15, 2013 9:49:54 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 15, 2013 9:50:20 AM PDT
dannomite says:
Thanks Bryan for advocating air cooling. I also stay away from water cooling, for the same reasons you stated.

Posted on Jul 21, 2013 12:04:36 AM PDT
G. Hakes says:
I bought the AMD FX 8350 and it hands every Video game out there at there highest setting with Ease. I have them all running at 1080P and 70 plus FPS and it never stutters at all, matter of fact it only uses 20 percent CPU resourses at it's most demanding times. So yeah there is plenty of Life outside of Intel.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›