5.0 out of 5 stars Incredible picture!, May 22, 2011
This review is from: Panasonic VIERA TC-P55GT30 55-Inch 1080p 3D Plasma HDTV (Electronics)
I could not be more impressed with this TV. The picture is incredible, the set-up was very easy, it has tons of features, it is by far the best TV I have ever owned.

I mounted it to the wall using a VideoSecu Articulating TV mount which holds it securely to the wall. I did not feel comfortable having this TV rest on the stand it comes with because I have 4 boys, and the living room sometimes transforms into a wrestling arena. I would hate to have to put one or more of the boys up for adoption because they knocked over the TV. So mounting it to a wall helps ensure they will have a place to live for a few more years...

The TV comes with a wireless LAN adapter that plugs into one of the TV's USB ports. That saves the hassle of running a network cable to that room. So far I am very happy with the connectivity and have used it to watch instant movies from Netflix, shows from Amazon on-demand, and we also use it to check our weather reports. The TV has many other features that are Internet based like Facebook, but we have not tried that because we do not have a wireless keyboard, and because we have a PC in the same room, so we will probably never use that feature.

The only downside I have noticed so far is the sound quality. We have the TV in a pretty large, open room. When things are quiet the sound quality is great, but things get noisy around here sometimes and I am also a little hard of hearing (or so my wife says) so I need to crank up the volume on the loud side. I may have to hook this up to a home theater system, which is probably a good idea anyway. In a normal house the sound quality will probably be more than adequate.

Once again I will get back to the picture quality. It is very impressive, especially in HD. I have satellite TV and had to upgrade the receiver to an HD receiver. Watching the shows in HD is incredible. I cannot speak highly enough about the excellent picture quality. I am very happy with this purchase.

I did quite a bit of research on TVs before buying this one. This TV was very highly rated and I am happy and convinced that I made the right choice.

**While this is a 3D TV, I have not purchased 3D glasses so I cannot review that feature. Since 3D gives me a headache, I will probably never get a set of 3D glasses. Actually I should clarify the previous sentence, 3D on TV gives me a headache. Luckily I am ok with 3D in real life, or that would be a huge problem.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 3 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 10 posts in this discussion
Initial post: May 22, 2011 7:57:52 AM PDT
AM says:
Have you noticed a crackling noise when watching vcast(netflix, amazon)?

In reply to an earlier post on May 24, 2011 4:00:18 AM PDT
I have not noticed any crackling noises, but I have not watched any vcast over the last couple of days. Give me a day or two and I will test it out and let you know.

Posted on May 25, 2011 3:14:36 PM PDT
Ok, did some testing. I did not get any crackling noises, except during the first 20 seconds of starting a movie. I also get a little picture freezing/jumping. I believe that is due to the TV downloading the movie, but once it gets downloaded or buffered I do not see any problems.

Maybe it is a speed issue with the Internet? I have DSL. not the fastest, but it seems to be ok.

Posted on Jun 6, 2011 7:29:06 AM PDT
Have had any problems with amazon instant video? I have not had a good experience so far. I am using wireless internet. Amazon instant video was an important factor why I chose this tv instead of samsung which now has the amazon service too. Please let me know.

thanks

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 6, 2011 9:44:38 AM PDT
No problems with the Amazon instant video, except the price. $3.99 for a movie but $4.99 for the same movie in HD. The price should be the same for both if you ask me, and cheaper would be nice too.

The only other issue I have with Netflix and Amazon online is the wireless card. It works great, but I am getting spoiled and would like it faster. Once the movie starts everything is good, but if I try to rewind or fast-forward it has to re-buffer the signal, which only takes a few seconds, but I guess I am spoiled and like things instantly.

The TV does have a LAN port, so as soon as I can find the die for my Cat5 crimper I am going to run a cable to the TV and remove the wireless. I know that tool is somewhere in my garage, just gotta find it.

Posted on Jun 30, 2011 3:19:43 PM PDT
Bryan Tran says:
Hi,
What is your experience with the fan noise from this Plasma TV? I am thinking about buying this TV but I am worry about the fan noise that the TV this big can produce. A friend told me that I should buy an Sony LCD instead because LCD TV supposed to have less fan noise and I usually watching TV at low volume (15-20 out of 100)

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 30, 2011 6:47:00 PM PDT
Bryan, I have never noticed any fan noise. But then again I got a loud house. Four sons, two dogs, one wife. Never a quiet moment. I will have to look into this and get back to you.

Posted on Jul 9, 2011 1:38:55 PM PDT
Grumpy Matt says:
Chris, love your review and sense of humor. Wish I could watch tv and have beer with you. I have a 2010 42 inch panasonic S plasma tv and love it. I drool over the bigger ones but my wife made me send back a 46 for the 42. I guess size really does matter in our house.
Matt

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 9, 2011 1:55:14 PM PDT
Thanks Matthew.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 4, 2011 5:25:50 AM PDT
I have tried a few times and I cannot hear any fan noise at all.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

3.9 out of 5 stars (346 customer reviews)

Out of stock
Add to wishlist
Reviewer

Chris Jaronsky
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)

Location: NJ, the garden state