4.0 out of 5 stars The Good, The Bad, The..., November 22, 2009
This review is from: VIZIO VSB200 Universal HD Sound Bar (Discontinued) (Electronics)
I got this for $99. refurbished; no tax, free shipping. read all the reviews (here & elsewhere), and seemed like a great deal.

easy setup. i bought an optical audio cable in advance, so could hook that up to my samsung tv. hooked an airport express up to the analog inputs (wireless itunes from my macbook). at first, thought the unit was dead; no audio. turns out the remote did not work. replaced the battery and...still nothing. emailed the retailer. but...bent the battery contacts carefully with a small screwdriver, and now it's working. should not have had to do this.

the unit sounds great. i usually do NOT use the surround gimmick (but it sounds great on "big" movies, ie "the fifth element", etc). remote works ok, it HAS to be pointed in the right place.

what i don't like: when i first took it out of the box, it could sit right up against my tv; but, with the cables (in the back center), it has to stick out a bit. shame the cables weren't on the back to one side. and the silver plate with "vizio" is a mistake; my eye is drawn to it periodically; the unit would be better all black (like a lot of soundbars); i want to watch the tv, not the soundbar. the remote not working, and now, working (but finicky).

still, overall, a great deal (even new at $150). the remote could be better, would be nice to have some eq settings options (even presets like "movie" "stadium" etc), but a great deal overall and worlds better than the internal speakers in most tvs.

3 1/2 stars really (docked a 1/2 for the remote).

EDIT: bumped up 1/2 star. vizio (quickly) sent me a new remote; i also removed the faceplate (and replaced the default 'legs' with small black rubber ones...
and am happy(er)...

EDIT 2: 2 days later, and the new remote stopped working. had to bend the battery clips inside this one as well... so 3 1/2 stars after all...!

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 4 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 16 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jul 21, 2010 7:16:56 AM PDT
wow...good review..thanks for the updates.....stupid remotes...hahaha

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 22, 2010 12:15:23 PM PDT
J. Gracey says:
Had the same remote problem. Returned unit to costco and second unit was doa. Have great luck with vizion tv and blue ray player but this unit didn't work for me.

Posted on Oct 27, 2010 9:02:39 AM PDT
D. Simms says:
About the shiny Vizio name plate on the front: Yes, this is a REAL problem and not to be minimized- especially when you have a light behind you and it picks up the reflection. Not well thought out by Visio. But we solved this problem- and there are many ways to do it. Minimally, all you have to do is defeat the "reflective-ness." You can easily do this with a black permanant marker. You can also use some black electrical tape: we did this carefully, and you cannot see the patch-work. There are many stickers you can cover it with as well. Look around and you will find the remedy for yourself.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 2, 2010 2:52:56 PM PDT
fff3k says:
i found the faceplate easy to remove. had another remote die on me...but enjoying this thing overall..

Posted on Nov 18, 2010 5:06:01 PM PST

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 13, 2010 1:38:41 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Oct 13, 2011 9:44:32 AM PDT
Linda Krebs says:
First of all, all the flat screen TV's have lousy speakers. It's just a known thing.There is simply no room for decent speakers. This is really puzzeling to me. You research these wonderful huge screen TV's'. They have all these wonderful features. (I have a 55" Toshiba & a 73" Mitsubishi),& then you look at the specs.All of them have 10wt. speakers.So now you have to buy a sound system of some sort. Visio was my first sound bar I purchased. Although the remote control worked, it's still crappy. And I did'nt like the legs either.I removed them. the name plate I just got used to.No big deal.But the sound was fine.I don't have a sub-woofer with it, just wanted something simple. I'm very satisfied with it. For the reasonable cost,$99, you can't go wrong. If you do happen to get a remote that does'nt work ,Visio sends out a new one. I also have a Visio TV. When I first got it I had problems with it. I called Comcast to check it out. He could'nt solve problem so I called Visio & put the Comcast guy on the phone to relate what was going on with the tv. Visio imediately sent out a new tv in record time at no cost to me & had the other one picked up. The new one had the exact same problem & it turns out that it was a Comcst issue all along . I can't say enough good about Visio customer service.It's the best.As far as the sound bar, I'm satisfied. It sounds fine & the remote, so it could be better but it works fine.No big deal.The thing I don't like is that it does'nt have a HDMI port.I do agree with the name plate & legs complaint in that when you buy something you don't want to have to re-design it. But it all depends on how picky you are .

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 3, 2011 5:13:27 AM PST
anthony says:
good review! it helped me make my mind up on this as my main concern was the name plate also, now i know im not the only one thinking this. i will look elsewear. thanks!

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2011 5:35:24 PM PST
CKE says:
Hello Fisherking,

Thanks for the review...one question.... does it have a subwoofer output?

Thanks,

Kevin E

Posted on Jan 17, 2011 11:02:40 AM PST
GFX says:
For those with remote issues, try taking the foam off from in from of the censor.

Also I would like to hear more about replacing the legs with a shorter option.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 7, 2011 9:15:38 AM PST
Yes, it has a sub-woolfer jack.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›