5.0 out of 5 stars The ONLY college textbook that I STILL READ!, April 25, 2006
This review is from: With Good Reason: An Introduction to Informal Fallacies (Paperback)
After being given the assignment(s) to read and execute the assigned problem sets in WITH GOOD REASON, I decided that this text ALONE was worth all of the thousands upon thousands of dollars I spent on my college education. It changed my life! No longer did I flounder trying to support my 'intuitive' ideas about life, I was now armed (and considerably more dangerous -- ie: effective) with the tools of discernment, brilliantly illuminated by Dr. Engel.

THANK YOU Dr. Engel!! Thank you, thank you, thank you, ad infinum!

My degree work in math, physics, and fine art, paled in their importance to what I learned from Dr.Engel's succinct discourse of informal fallacies. I finished in 1989 and as the tag line stated, I still read and proseletyze from this book-- in fact, I am writing and producing a radio show on informal fallacies based upon WITH GOOD REASON. The show is slated as THINK AGAIN! and will premiere within the next 3 months on RBNLive.com. (today is 4/25/86 ).

I am replacing my well worn, weathered, rubber-banded copy of WITH GOOD REASON with a brand spanking new copy... I encourage EVERYONE to read this book, and more importantly, lobby all school boards to make this book a mandatory course prior to graduating from high school-- yes-- HIGH SCHOOL! Our children need this book.

**If anyone out there in the internet ether knows how to contact Dr.Engel, please contact me, Barbara, at RBN (800)313-9443. Thank you!

BUY IT! (And donate as many as possible to the school districts in your area!!) This is serious business- no one is teaching kids how to think or discern "what is reasonable and what is not".

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-3 of 3 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 13, 2007 8:26:00 PM PST
I just wanted to say that I concur with you on what you have said about Mr. Engels book. I found this book at a Church give-a-way and thought it would be something interesting to read over the summer- boy was it ever interesting! I find myself returning again and again to this book because of its profound importance as well as Engels highly accessible style!

Posted on May 25, 2008 9:35:42 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 25, 2008 9:37:27 PM PDT
tk221 says:
Thank you Barbara. I think you said it best. I definitely agree with you 100% that kids should be aware of this kind of language manipulation. But as much as the kids, I think adults need to be just as aware, because after reading this I was left wondering if the popular support for bad political leaders and ideas are also influenced by these types of exploitative methods. I mean, the kids who are wise will influence tomorrow, but also today's generation has to be aware, because they might not have intuition about this as you did.

Posted on Aug 11, 2010 10:15:50 PM PDT
B. J Robbins says:
Indeed, in the 11th grade, I was given not this book, but another excellent book that defines and explains all the major fallacies one will meet in life, and although I lost my original copy, I bought two more, for each of my boys.

Critical thinking skills are not taught in school, but are essential if we are to remain an informed electorate. It does not really matter which book on logical reasoning and critical thinking one reads, as long as one is able to spot fallacies when someone is arguing a position that doesn't smell right, or a sell you a car that looks like a lemon, or a politician telling you on a TV ad that he/she is the best for the job, while falsely accusing her opponent of untrue acts.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.8 out of 5 stars (12 customer reviews)

Used & New from: $11.65