3.0 out of 5 stars This book is truly awful, but THE PLAN WORKS!, January 31, 2008
This review is from: 21 Pounds in 21 Days: The Martha's Vineyard Diet Detox (Hardcover)
I'm on DAY 6 and I've lost 8.5 pounds!

Having said that, let me add that my success so far has been largely due to my own ingenuity and prior knowledge of the many poorly presented concepts this plan adheres to.

Reading this book, I was amazed at the general negative undertone throughout, especially when combined with the insistently surprising references by both authors to their personal religion and faith. While both authors describe in detail their negative health influences over the years (the book reads like one bad health crisis after another), when it came to the positive elements of their recoveries from these health issues, not much was said. I noticed many opportunities where the authors could have pumped up their dialogue with lively positive feedback to empower their reader, yet did not. It would seem to me, if you want to inspire people to drastically change their habits, playing up the positive would be crucial. By the time I got to the "story" about sisters who died after binging on beer and bar food because they did not come off their 21 day cleanse as prescribed, I was done with the bad vibe this book gives off and was left with the distinct feeling if I ever met the authors in person they'd have dark clouds hovering over their heads.

As well as the book being a downer to read, the majority of the program is presented in a very secretive way. Detailed info on supplements, processes and assured recipes are nearly non-existent (the products can be found on an accompanying website, though what you can expect to get in the detox kits sold here is also vague). Who writes a book to help people, then snatches away all the "help" at the last minute? There's that dark cloud again. Clearly the focus for the authors was on making a buck. Offering up true, accessible healing to their readers seems to be secondary, if at all.

Still, once you figure out where to find the program necessities, the diet does work and I couldn't love the results more. Here's the scoop:

The drink mixes and "cleansing herbs" kit are all from a company called Garden Greens. You can find their products by googling "Vegesplash", "Essential Greens" and "Inner Cleanse". You can also double check this info on the MV Detox Diet website by clicking "Buy Detox Products" and thoroughly reading all the info and links in the kit descriptions. Clicking many of the links highlighted in blue will bring up ingredient and nutrition info for the products offered.

All of the other products listed in the book for the program are easy to find at Whole Foods or Super Supplements. If you tell the store clerk what you are using the item for they can guide you to the right one.

I couldn't find the Garden Greens products locally and chose a different brand (with the help of the clerk at Super Supplements) based on the somewhat vague guidelines given by the author. So far, I feel great and the program works as outlined with these products too!

Many of the concepts here are based on principles found in the raw food movement. If this book leaves you thinking, "ok, but why?", check out the books by Natalia Rose. She empowers her readers with an incredible amount of inspiring knowledge, and her vibrant lust for life and good food is immediately contagious. Her book titled, "Raw Food Life Force Energy" is particularly upbeat, fun and packed with info.

FYI: I am a 165 pound female with 25 pounds to lose.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 7 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 15 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Aug 3, 2010 1:35:16 AM PDT
I found this diet to work as well, and that it had amazing positive effects. It was great to see all the different health choices rolled into one, cleansing veggie juices, parasitic cleanses, sauna, exercise, etc. I have to agree that with your opinion on how it was written in such a way that you can't really get a handle on "exactly" what to do, and so are left with reading and re-reading and still being unsure.

I got the impression that it was the "journalist", James Hester, who tried the diet at her retreat and saw he could make a quick buck by throwing a book together as fast as he could. The creator of the diet, Dr. Dr. Roni Deluz, was not the author (except for an intro message); she runs a retreat in Martha's Vineyard where one can live during the detox and have all the work of juicing, etc. done for you for those who can afford a fine pricetag! I cannot help but believe that she gave him the info because he convinced her she could make $ off of those who could not afford the retreat! Still and all, however those omissions and confusions remained after the final edit is beyond me as well.

The diet does work and it is sound, when compared to other natural health gurus. I do it every year and the results are always amazing. (FYI: One can control how much weight they lose by adding protein shakes, if one is not overweight. This is not a diet to lose weight, as much as it is a detox diet to remove toxins, and by doing so you can lose up to 21 pounds or more.) Join the online e-mail group and you will receive daily guidance and support and can start at any time with others starting on the same date as you. Any questions one may have when reading the book will be answered by one of the bloggers.

Posted on Jul 25, 2011 11:34:21 AM PDT
Hi Kadie,
I'm just finishing up the detox, and I agree with you that doing it really does work, (I've lost 15 lbs and still losing), the book leaves much to be desired. I found it to be unclear and confusing. Making it WAY WORSE is trying to inform yourself further by going to their website and/or Facebook page. They consistently provide conflicting information with what is presented in the book, making figuring out the process even more difficult. Their "updated schedule" on their website simply reflects the use of the products that they would love to sell you through their website. The "support" that one receives on their FB page leaves much to be desired also. You are not allowed to post anything negative regarding the process...if you do, you are attacked, chided or just plain ignored. When I finally expressed my severe frustration with being presented with yet more confusing information that is NOT presented in the book, I found that all my posts had been deleted from their page. That's some "support". You're right that the program works, but it is in spite of the way the book is presented, and in spite of the nutjobs that run their facebook page.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 25, 2011 11:37:21 AM PDT
R. Pohli says:
I totally agree with everything you've said here, except for the part about getting good support from their team. See my comments below regarding my experience with their Facebook page. Total waste of time, and a very undesirable part of the process. But yes, doing it DOES work...but I think you're right on when you say that the book was put together in a hurry to make a buck and most of what has followed is continuing that trend.

Posted on Jun 2, 2012 8:40:55 PM PDT
I compiled the ingredients for the MV detox diet here on Amazon (except the multivitamin), and the price is about 1/2 the price of the kit on the website, which is about $215. Am I missing something here?

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 3, 2012 2:36:47 PM PDT
No, right from the beginning, I (and others on the support group mailing list) found it was always much less expensive to purchase the individual ingredients from vitacost or vitaminshoppe or Amazon.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 17, 2012 1:37:55 AM PDT
Dual citizen says:
Can you list the products on Amazon? I would really appreciate it.

Posted on Mar 14, 2013 12:43:45 PM PDT
Hey Kadie,

My name is Roxanna and I was reading your review here, I have a friend of mine that has bought the Martha's Vineyard Diet Detox kit and she bought this book. I was thinking of doing this cleanse as well. I am guessing that you did not buy the kit, right? You just bought the book and you are following that? I was thinking about purchasing the book. I noticed you said, "I couldn't find the Garden Greens products locally and chose a different brand." May I ask what what product brand you are using so that I might try it?

Would I need to buy the kit or could i just buy the book and follow the program that way? I Googled: "Vegesplash", "Essential Greens" and "Inner Cleanse" and I found a website where I can buy all 3 of those items and you mentioned that the other products listed in the book could be found at Whole Foods or Super Supplements. We have a whole foods here, so I could just go there. Are the other products (the ones you can find at wholefoods) are these supplements?

Thank you so much for your post and insight, I am so glad I read this and I will check out that book by Natalia Rose.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 14, 2013 12:53:21 PM PDT
R. Pohli says:
Do NOT waste your money on the "kit". It's an overpriced joke. You can definitely do it without having to buy any products from them. I did. Just another note of caution. If you're doing this because you really want to "cleanse" you body, then it may be a worthwhile effort...but if you're mainly doing it to lose weight, I wouldn't necessarily recommend this program, because although you do lose weight while doing it (who wouldn't when you're consuming only about 500 calories per day!), the weight loss is not the kind that works long term. If you want to lose weight and keep it off permanently, then this is not the road to take. Just to let you know.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 14, 2013 1:08:03 PM PDT
could you send me a link to where this is on Amazon.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 14, 2013 3:03:08 PM PDT
R. Pohli

So after doing some research and reading these comments here, I have decided not to buy the kit. Should I buy the book tho? I need some kind of guide line to know what to take and how to go about this, or would you mind sharing what you did? what products and vitamins you used? ect... So I know what to do. It would be much appreciated.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›

Review Details

Item

3.5 out of 5 stars (276 customer reviews)

$24.95 $18.36