Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PME Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro STEM

5.0 out of 5 stars Wildly Good, June 5, 2012
Never before have I been so happy about playing a card game.
That being said I'm not a huge LCG or CCG fan.
Also, this isn't really a card game: it's a game WITH cards.

Summoner wars plays much like a dice based combat miniatures game, with the strategy of deck based card games where you have to plan for what is ahead in your deck. Also, Chess.

There are tons of videos and reviews that describe how this game is played so I won't do that. You can even download the rulebook off of Plaid Hats website.
No doubt this is a great game so instead I will talk about what I really like, and what I'm not a fan of.

CAUTION: I'm really nit picky about components.

+Pros+

This is super accessible: Rules are super easy to explain and all the cards explain themselves.
The card art is great: it's my style of art.
The box is BIG: You can fit your kids in there.
The board is great quality: Nice and slick for sliding cards around.

-Cons-
The Box is BIG: You can lose your kids in there. Also, it's hard to take around for just a card game. There are many different storing alternatives though.
The dice are bad: They are blah dice. Boring. I would love some SW themed dice.
The cards are American shape: Meaning that no stores around me sell sleeves for them. (Order Mayday Chimera).
If you sleeve the cards they don't fit in the box: Well actually they might depending on the sleeve.

Notice how all the cons are super nit picky stuff, but that isn't too uncommon among board gamers. These quips do not detract from the fantastic PvP experience this game provides.
If you are on the fence about this game, don't be.
Buy it.
It's a great game from a great company.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 14 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Aug 1, 2012 3:01:40 PM PDT
BucNasty says:
Does this version have the fold out paper board, or the more durable mat?

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 28, 2012 9:50:26 AM PDT
The Master Set has a two-piece mounted-cardboard game board. It lays flat and is very sturdy.

Posted on Sep 7, 2012 3:15:44 PM PDT
I saw on the Plaid Hat web site they sell dice for the different factions, so you can replace those humdrum dice the master set comes with.

Posted on Jan 1, 2013 5:56:47 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 1, 2013 6:00:31 PM PST
Gravy229 says:
Just got this game Christmas 2012 and the box is not near as big as some have reported. There are only 2 main areas for cards. I think would be considered the 2nd edition master set.
It's pretty much the exact same size as my Dominion box.
Also, the board is still very nice, but it's a 1 piece that folds out from 1 quarter size to the full board.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 7, 2013 1:12:12 AM PST
Aaron says:
Thanks for the update. Did you order it from Amazon? I think I'd prefer to have the larger box.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 14, 2013 3:26:20 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 17, 2013 12:57:28 PM PST
Just bought the dice 15 for $20.00 from Plaid Hat games. One dice for each faction. These just give you one extra dice. You need a whole set for each faction . I found on Plaid Hat web site for $7.00 you can buy each set of dice (5 dice) for each faction. Really nice sets. Worth the money for Summoner Wars game. Great game....

Posted on Jan 14, 2013 3:30:27 PM PST
Mayday 59 x 92 regular blue Euro sleeves will fit much better........or I think so. I like large boxes, got more room for storage...enjoy gaming...

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 17, 2013 1:01:28 PM PST
Aaron I talked about finding the large box and Plaid Hat said it is a matter of luck. Most of the older sets are already sold. I am like you the large black liner is much nicer for me. I hope my next purchase comes that way. Check Plaid Hat Games for shirts and dice and info. Very informative.

Posted on Jan 18, 2013 10:50:14 AM PST
[Deleted by the author on Jan 18, 2013 10:51:29 AM PST]

Posted on Jan 18, 2013 11:16:01 AM PST
Daniel Rose says:
Would just like to add that I did not but this from Amazon but rather a local store where I saw the giant box. I can see the appeal of the big box but as a college student who travels with games a lot, it's not always the best option for me.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›