5.0 out of 5 stars Great little thing, September 10, 2010
This review is from: Apple iPod shuffle 2 GB Silver (4th Generation) (Discontinued by Manufacturer) (Electronics)
I just got my new shuffle in the mail today. I needed something for running and dreadmilling when it is too snowy/icy to run outside.
My initial impressions:

Pros
Great little thing (small)
strong clip
easy to use (hooray for buttons!)
simple, multi-position switch on the top lets you play in order or shuffle. Voice over button is easy to use and works well.
Easy to sync (choose playlists, genius playlists, albums, artists, podcasts, etc...)
Looks good (see my notes about online photos at the bottom)
Long (15h) battery life.

Cons
None. (As far am I concerned, there are cons like "no screen" and such, but if you order this to get an ipod shuffle, not a nano or other mp3 player, you will not be disappointed. I was not let down at all).

EDIT: After some thought and use, I thought of some cons.
$50 for 2gb is not a great price compared to other mp3 players.
2gb might be limiting to you. This just means you have to choose or let itunes choose what music goes on there carefully.

Conclusion:
If you know what an ipod shuffle does, need a reasonable music player that syncs with your itunes, and don't need more. GET ONE!!! I can't imagine you will be let down.

One last note: From all the photos online, you can't really tell, bu this is not a matte finish ipod. The finish is shiny, but not mirror-y. And actually, no one will care about this, but the top and bottom are matte silver. It looks good.

EDIT: 7/6/11 I put it through the wash last month, oops, but it's still going strong!

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 3 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 10 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 1, 2011 4:53:36 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 1, 2011 4:55:06 PM PST
Chang says:
Thanks for the very detailed evaluation.
Could you add or answer the following?
(1) can it loop one song?
(2) what's new compared it to the 2nd generation?
Thanks, --- Chang

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 3, 2011 7:57:49 AM PST
D. Bodington says:
The shuffle does not have the capability to loop a single song by changing settings, you only get the shuffle, or play in order options, however, if you were to create a playlist with only one song in it, you would get the same effect because the shuffle will loop the playlist by default.

As for the comparison to the 2nd gen, I never had a 2nd gen shuffle so I cannot say much about the differences. The voice over feature is very nice and allows one to select playlists and get song information with the touch of a button. This shuffle is smaller, and also seems to cost about the same amount new. I would imagine the battery life is longer. That's all I can really say without knowing much about the 2gen. They serve the same simple purpose, but the new one has more bells and whistles.

Posted on Feb 25, 2011 12:44:51 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 25, 2011 12:48:25 PM PST
Dr. Haze says:
You say...

"EDIT: A "hold" function has been added, just hold the center button to activate and deactivate, good feature. It would be useful if I had just gotten mine, but I learned how to use it without the feature so I don't end up using hold much."

..and then...

"Because the buttons take up most of the front of the ipod, it can be hard to use the clip while it is turned on without pressing the next button."

--> Hehe.. exactly that's why there's the hold function you even described by yourself before. :)

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 25, 2011 12:57:58 PM PST
D. Bodington says:
Yeah, the "EDIT"s might not make complete sense in the context of the original review. The edit about the hold function came after the Cons edit, but I imagine there are other people who will not want to bother with the hold function when they clip/unclip the ipod.

Posted on Jul 15, 2011 10:50:06 AM PDT
Voice of Zip says:
great info...thank you...glad your shuffle is clean!

Posted on Jul 19, 2011 4:36:42 PM PDT
I did not get this last one yet, my comments are for the old one that after using it a couple of years, just died on me. I expected to last longer.

Posted on Jul 28, 2011 4:29:54 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Jul 31, 2011 12:19:13 PM PDT]

Posted on Mar 1, 2012 5:13:38 PM PST
Khoi Trieu says:
I was actually searching for some system specs for this thing. I have one myself, bought it about... two and a half months ago about. Currently, for some reason, the battery only lasts me roughly an hour. I thought it was strange because I only go exercising for about an hour a day. I play the music shuffled with the volume set to max. Yesterday, I left it on the charger overnight and when I went to the gym today, the voice over was giving me the "battery life" low notice before the hour was even up. Anyone know a reason for this?

Posted on Aug 21, 2012 12:33:41 PM PDT
Deimos says:
went through the wash and still works? I would have to see that to believe it as being in the wash for 20 secs killed my shuffle.

Posted on Dec 23, 2013 2:46:58 PM PST
i had an ipod shuffle for less than a year and it started stopping in the middle of a song and turning itself off. so i got a new one. had not used for more than three months and the same thing happened. it turns off in the middle of a song, wont restart, and only plays 1/3 of the songs i have loaded on it. if you look at the songs on it it shows which ones have played and how many times. mine shows that about 30 songs are the only ones playing and the rest are not. Its a piece of junk i will be getting a non-apply product this time!
‹ Previous 1 Next ›