5.0 out of 5 stars 4.5 stars - very pleased so far, November 5, 2010
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Kinect Sensor with Kinect Adventures! (Accessory)
First off, I have a hard and fast rule - never buy first generation equipment, especially from Microsoft, and especially when it's brand new technology. However, rules are made to be broken, right? :)

My boyfriend's birthday is today, and he really wanted the Kinect for his birthday - it was a sign that it was released the day before his birthday, right? :) So, like a good girlfriend (and fellow gadget addict), I ordered it from Amazon for him and it was waiting for us yesterday when we got home from work. Props to Amazon for flawless release date delivery!

He had it set up before I got home and reported that the setup was very simple. What took the most time was re-configuring the furniture and figuring out the best place to put the sensor. We have the 360S, so the device was plug and play.

We tried the Kinect Sports and Your Shape games, we also have the Adventures game that came with, and I plan on getting the Dance Central game as well.

So far we're very pleased with how the unit works. It definitely takes a little bit of getting used to, but that's the case for any new technology. I know there were reviews about how this isn't good for hardcore gaming - and for us that's fine. He's a gamer (MW2, excited for BlackOps), but if he's going to play those games he's going to use the controller. I am not a big fan of the controller gaming, I am a Rock Band fan - much happier with a mic :)

We bought the Kinect so we could burn some energy and not be such couch potatoes. The shape-up program is really great so far, but I suppose I should take my review for that over to the game.

The acid test for the unit will be tomorrow - birthday party for the boyfriend and we're going to have a bunch of friends over to play games with the Kinect. Kinect Sports has a party setting that should be perfect, but with that many people in the room and players of varying sizes and shapes, I will be very curious to see how it goes.

To sum up -
Pros: Easy setup, recognition is cool, actually burning calories while playing games, chance to get in better shape with a video game (the personal trainer feedback so far is really cool), fun party toy, voice navigation of the Xbox unit

Cons: Had to re-arrange the living room, and in a small apartment it's kind of difficult to do that. Only two players at once. Interface takes some getting used to.

So, all in all, I'm delighted with the purchase and can't wait to see what other cool things this can do. I'm really looking forward to the video chat aspect. I'm also looking forward to the future of video gaming. Using the unit last night I really couldn't help but to think that this is really going to change the video game playing landscape.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

A post-Kinect party update:

The unit worked flawlessly. Space was a little tight, but that's a function of the small house and tall friends. Everyone had a blast either watching or playing the games. Most popular were the games where you could challenge someone else there. The sports game and Dance Central (Yeah! Dance Battle!) were the most popular for that. The unit worked perfectly as far as working great with different people trying the games - 17 of us tried different games at various times and it worked without a hitch. Everyone at the party was jealous of our toy and several people left trying to figure out how they're rearrange their house so they could get one too!

Oh, and we tested out the Xbox Live feature with the ping-pong and boxing parts of Kinect Sports and were pleasantly surprised at just how well it worked. Very little lag and very responsive.

Them I spent an hour or so yesterday on the workout mode of Dance Central and boy I tell you what, I definitely got a good workout. Boyfriend has been doing workouts with the Your Shape game and is also quite pleased.

Love it love it love it love it....

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 3 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-7 of 7 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 10, 2010 7:57:02 AM PST
Thanks for the review - could you elaborate on how/why you rearranged your furniture?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 10, 2010 8:08:34 AM PST
jaimilyn says:
The Kinect sensor needs you to be in a certain zone. However, we had our couch and coffee table set up directly in that zone, so it wouldn't have worked.

For the party, we moved the couches against the walls (modular furniture is awesome) and put the tables elsewhere. That allowed for maximum traffic and player space.

Now that the party is over and it's just us and not 15 other people trying to move around the small apartment, the couches are back nearly to where they were, but since they're super light, I just move back the piece that's in the way of the game and move the coffee table up to directly in front of the tv (again, yay for modular furniture! Looks like this:http://www.amazon.com/Guildcraft-214CC-Quantum-Modular-Sectional/dp/B002FH1T56/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1289404994&sr=8-9). It takes under a minute to move the stuff around, so it's not a big deal.

If I had a bigger living room, I'd leave the couches further back, but there are bookshelves and a closet at the back of the room, so the couches can't stay against the wall permanently. We've talked about changing which wall the TV is up against to take better advantage of the room's rectangular shape (it's a dining room/living room combined space), but that would require buying a new entertainment center, so we're sticking with the cheap option for now.

Posted on Feb 2, 2011 10:29:16 AM PST
RWBurnham says:
So would you say that the Kinect is a good exercise device? I like the idea of losing weight and getting achievements.

Posted on Feb 11, 2011 10:19:11 AM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Feb 11, 2011 11:12:45 AM PST]

Posted on Jan 9, 2012 9:10:09 PM PST
MM says:
Can you please tell me if this kinetic box came with a power supply w/a USB add-on to connect to a computer?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 10, 2012 8:33:28 AM PST
jaimilyn says:
From the product description:

What's in The Box?

Kinect Sensor
Power Supply Cable
Kinect Adventures Game
Manual

So, yes there is a power supply cable, but no connection to a computer. I know that it can be done though, so do a google search and you'll find what you need!

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 10, 2012 2:43:15 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 10, 2012 2:49:00 PM PST
MM says:
Thanks Jaimilyn,

I just wanted to be sure because there's a great deal of confusion about this for us folks seeking to buy the kinect unit for animation purposes, not for XBox use. Most articles indicate that the kinect DOES come with both the power cable and a USB connection when you buy it as a unit separate from the XBox. But that is not what the description says, as you yourself reiterated above.

So just to be 100% clear, you have a standard plug with NO EXTRA USB connector, correct?

I just wanted to be sure before I spend the extra money.

BTW, there is a ZOOM product that seems to be getting rave reviews by some* for minimizing the space that you need to use the kinect.
-- Since you mentioned space being an issue for you I thought I'd let you know. I'll paste the link below, but if it won't post in this field then simply do a search for "Zoom for Kinect".

Zoom for Kinect - Xbox 360

*Note that I said "some rave reviews" as they are very bipolar and people are either strongly lovin' or hatin' the product. So either that's purely a QA thing OR it could be that some vendors are not selling the authentic product. As a high volume long-time Amazon customer I have seen this happen more often than it should, particularly with electronic devices.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.5 out of 5 stars (1,281 customer reviews)

$109.99 $83.65