ARRAY(0x9868fbf4)

5.0 out of 5 stars Book Provides an "Aha" Experience, May 23, 2005
This review is from: Moneyball: The Art of Winning an Unfair Game (Paperback)
I never understood nor really liked baseball. I bought the book mostly to read about the inspired use of statistics, and the creative thinking that went into looking for the real keys to victory. I can safely say that while I may not have fallen in love with baseball, I will never find it boring again. If you have someone you want to turn into a fan, this book a superb gift option. The amount of detail in this book--for example, just the description of the strike zone and what different pitches and batters do to narrow the zone, what can be known about specific individual propensities and vulnerabilities associated with that little box, are truly inspirational.

This is a really excellent book. If we managed the national security budget the way Billy Bean managed the Oakland A's, we'd have faster better cheaper military hardware, and a lot more plowshares. I was also impressed by the way in which Billy Bean built a team, in which players who might not have been individual stars excelled at setting up others in a true team effort where the group as a whole is stronger than the sum of the parts. Others have written better reviews from a baseball fans point of view--as a non-baseball fan, I can attest to this book's being an "aha" experience.

See also:
Watching Baseball Smarter: A Professional Fan's Guide for Beginners, Semi-experts, and Deeply Serious Geeks

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-6 of 6 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 22, 2012 2:37:40 PM PST
Citizen John says:
I keep stumbling on these great reviews of yours years after you submitted. After reading what you wrote, I just bought the audiobook as it's a promotion today in Audible.

Thank you for this review!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 22, 2012 2:55:46 PM PST
Thank you. Amazon has refused for years to listen to me, the only way to find my other reviews sorted by the 98 categories in which I read is to visit Phi Beta Iota the Public Intelligence Blog. Your votes welcome -- I am one of the originals, still tops for non-fiction but Amazon keeps changing the rules and deleting substantive reviews to try to clear out the old guys. Anyone that votes for me too many times becomes a "fan" (I have over 600 of them) whose votes are NOT COUNTED. Just pathetic. In any event, I advise that you read (and vote for -- smile) ten of my reviews for every book you might buy. Of course the other reviewers are a varied lot, but it is indeed possible to learn a great deal at Amazon without spending a penny.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 22, 2012 4:47:07 PM PST
Citizen John says:
I certainly became a fan long ago. Unfortunately I didn't check whether my vote incremented your total for this review.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 22, 2012 4:49:50 PM PST
what I have been told is that when a "fan" by their definition (which is top secret) votes, that vote does not count. Kind of like Diebold except they just screw the reviewer out of a vote but don't credit another reviewer.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 22, 2012 5:03:57 PM PST
Citizen John says:
You've got YouTube fans too. And Amazon Hall of Fame badge. And all books you've authored.

Why did you add "Vivas" to your name for reviews? Just curious.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 22, 2012 5:19:42 PM PST
Am Latino on my mother's side. In Latino culture, or at least the upper class, but I believe generally, it is customary to have both names. In Brazil they reverse it, mother's surname then fathers. When I was under cover overseas my US Government business cards had my full Latino name. Then I came back to the US and ran into morons at the Defense Hearings and Appeals Officer who thought Vivas was a "pseudonym" that was proof I was deceiving the US Government about who I was. I do not make this stuff up. Plus the US is being deliberately invaded today, with the Mexican government being the lead for an all out assault on the US with both legal and illegal Latino immigrants, this would not be a problem except that the banks have hollowed out the USA and left the pre-Latino elements to starve.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.5 out of 5 stars (951 customer reviews)

$15.95 $9.01