4.0 out of 5 stars Not so MINI, but a good surge product overall., November 16, 2008
This review is from: Belkin 3-Outlet Mini Travel Swivel Charger Surge Protector with Dual USB Ports, 5 Charging Outlets Total (1 AMP / 5 Watt) (Electronics)
I've been searching for a product that can extend the outlet on my bathroom for the electrical products that I use. I finally came across this Belkin mini surge protector and features:

- 3 AC power outlets
- 2 USB outlets ONLY for charging (not data transfer) at 5V / 500mA at each port
- Surge protection on all 5 outlets
- 918 Joules Energy Dissipation
- 125V / 15A / 1,875W Continuous Duty Electrical Rating
- 36,000A Maximum Spike Current
- Lifetime Warranty on product
- USD75,0000.00 connected equipment warranty
- 360 degree rotating plug lockable into 4 possible positions

Simple, elegant design in a smooth plastic casing of white and light grey colour. Once plugged, the green LED light will indicate if the power source is grounded.

The box comes with one USB to mini-USB cable to get you started in charging your USB devices as well.

DO NOT throw the prong cover that initially comes attached to the surge protector prong. As the manual states (for those who still care to read the User Manual these days), you can use this plastic prong cover to help further balance the device against any surface. You do this by inserting the plastic prong cover on the bottom of the surge device via a small notch. Also, the plastic cover is handy to use when traveling. Before dumping the surge protector along with your other devices, cover the prongs to prevent it from scratching other objects.

The prongs can be rotated 360 degrees loosely. However, there are 4 positions that enable you to lock it so it doesn't flail along clumsily in any direction. You do this by pressing into the rear a "release button". It's not a raised button, but a flat plastic portion that you have to press hard in order to release the lock. It's quite difficult (at least with the model I received) at first and feels like I'm going to break the plastic button. But I guess if this is normal then it can be construed as a safety measure so it doesn't easily rotate with a simple touch.

IMPROVEMENTS:

The term "mini" is subjective. It isn't really that compact as I would assume from seeing the photo. It is small, yes. However, as a surge protector that can take 3 AC and 2 USB outlets, I will give Belkin the benefit of naming it a mini device.

I would STRONGLY prefer the re-design of the spacing on the AC outlets by allowing larger plugs connected side-by-side. As it is right now, only normal AC plugs and not block-style plugs are allowed without loosing all three outlets. So my proposal is to delete the middle AC outlet and move it to the end-cap of the device (opposite to the 2 USB outlets). As of now, there is nothing there so rather than cramp the 3 AC plugs, then move the third at the end and thus allowing for block-style plugs to be used and still retaining the 3 AC functionality.

OVERALL:

I would not hesitate to recommend the purchase of this surge protection for compact spaces as well as travel purposes especially with the lifetime warranty and amount of protection is offers.

Take note of the selling price Amazon and the others are selling this at. It's ridiculous to see the selling price of this exact device can range anywhere from USD10 to USD30.

Lastly, BE AWARE of the SPECS so you know if the USB device you are plugging is capable of being charged.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 8 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 19 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Aug 17, 2009 12:00:36 PM PDT
Unfortunately, you cannot use it internationally because Belkin says it isn't rated for 240 volts:

Belkin Response Aug 17 2009 17:48
Thank you for contacting Belkin Customer Support.

Hello Mr. Lucchesi,

The Mini Surge Protector with USB Charger ~ Part #BZ103050-TVL was designed to support 110V-120V (U.S.) wall outlets. It has been suggested to locate the appropriate Surge Protector that would support the international 240V wall outlet within the region or you may review the link provided below for further information. Hope this helps.

Go to link ~ http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=240v+surge+protector&aq=0&oq=240v+sur&aqi=g1

Good Day,

avam@belkin.com
Customer Support
Belkin International, Inc.

Posted on Jan 10, 2011 3:12:03 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 10, 2011 3:14:02 AM PST
"DO NOT throw the prong cover that initially comes attached to the surge protector prong."

Dang! Too late.

This has been working great for me. I pack it in my laptop case when I travel. Yesterday in the airport lounge all the 115 volt outlets were full at the laptop table.
No prob. I whip out my Belkin Mini Surge Protector and plug in. I always need it on the hotel nightstand to charge my phone, laptop, USB headphones and iPod.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 26, 2011 3:01:48 PM PDT
Was thankful to have seen your comment just before completing my purchase. Support for 240v is key for me. Have you found a similar device (portable, USB, and multiple outlets) that will work on both 110 and 220/240?

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 6, 2011 6:45:36 PM PDT
Seems like a nice device, but why is it's protection of 918 Joules Energy Dissipation so pale in comparison to the larger Belkin surge protectors? I just bought the BE112230-08 Belkins 12 outlet surge protector wth 3940 Joules Energy Dissipation capability. I did so to better protect my PC, modem, router, etc. I would have like to also have a small protector like this min-, but the very low joule rating indicated to me it would only provide minimal protection.

Posted on Nov 21, 2011 12:47:17 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 21, 2011 12:47:49 PM PST
S. Lokshin says:
If you look at this.

you will see that each port only has 500mA power. Most new Smartphones including my Droid x can charge almost twice as fast if this were rated at 1000mA for each port.

This Product is rated at 1000mA for each port.
Griffin PowerBlock Dual Universal Charger for MP3 Players and USB Devices (Black)

Posted on Jan 5, 2012 8:38:25 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 8, 2012 8:46:28 AM PST
Caponsacchi says:
Spot on, and I was unaware of the intended use of the prong cover. I'd agree the device isn't all that compact ("mini" only because it's 3 rather than 7 or more outlets), and as you say most owners won't be able to squeeze in more than two AC plugs (a shorty cord would enable use of all 3). I didn't find the assembly difficult to rotate, but I can see some people forcing it before discovering that little "lock," so important to find that out. What puzzles me most is the reason for including a mini-USB connector, which doesn't work with any Apple product I'm aware of (I don't have an iPad). I also question whether the plug cover is all that useful (mine doesn't seat very snugly in its slot at the other end), but thanks for pointing it out.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 5, 2012 9:39:22 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Jan 8, 2012 8:47:57 AM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 3, 2012 8:10:12 AM PDT
Thanks for your input Samuel. I was thinking about buying this because of the USB ports I planned on using to charge our iPads. Thanks for saving me the disappointment.

In reply to an earlier post on May 28, 2012 9:58:35 AM PDT
Donna McMill says:
Outside of apple products mini-usb is the most common connector for portable devices, it makes perfect sense.

Posted on Jun 7, 2012 5:52:34 PM PDT
Bohdan K. says:
Thanks for listing USB specs. I was planing to use it for my tablet charging, but it requires 2A :(
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›