Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon St Lucia easycohice_2016 All-New Amazon Fire TV Beauty V-Day Valentine's Day Cards Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Shop Now DOTD

5.0 out of 5 stars Open NAT for xbox 360!, March 28, 2008
This review is from: Cisco-Linksys WRT54G2 Wireless-G Broadband Router (Personal Computers)
This was very easy to set up. It took about 5 minutes total to set up the router and have a wireless connection to my desktop. I have an excellent reception to my desktop that sits about 30 feet away in another room. Also, I have my desktop and laptop (both running vista), xbox 360, and ps3 connected to it wirelessly. the xbox 360 NAT is open and the ps3 NAT is type 2. I'm not sure what that stuff means technically, but in normal person terms it means that I can connect to others with no problems. The back of the router has 4 10/100 ethernet connections on it as well if you want a wired connection.

The design of this router is really excellent. The antennas are built into the router and the dimensions of it are really small and thin! This gives you more flexibility of where the router can be placed.

Streaming recorded TV, music, and pictures from my desktop to xbox (using media center) work well for both being connected wireless with no reduction in picture quality.

With the release of the new Xbox 360 dashboard I am able to stream HD video from Netflix wirelessly through my 360 with this router. The wait time for video to start is short and the picture quality of HD shows like Heroes and 30 Rock is great.

*Update* I have had the 20" 2.66ghz iMac since May 08 and connecting it to my linksys was as simple as selecting the network and typing in my password. The router has been up and running several months now with no resets or connection issues. This is a very stable router that requires little to no maintenance. Now my connections to this router are a laptop with Vista every now and then, Mac with OS X 10.5, ps3, 360, and 2 iPhones. There are no problems when 2 or more devices are using the connection. I am connected to a 6mbps cable connection.

Recently I got the new unibody MacBook and an eyeTV hybrid 2009 model. I use it to record TV (mainly the HD shows sent via QAM from comcast) on my iMac. I want to stream a HD show like The Office from my iMac to my macbook that is connected my my 46" samsung (lnt-4665), but I have found that "g" is not fast enough to stream a show recorded in HD. It is fast enough to stream a show recorded in SD, so I need an "N" router if I want to stream wirelessly.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 3 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 16 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jul 11, 2008 10:09:40 AM PDT
Mac Waran says:
I would like to understand how and what is required to stream music/videos from desktop to xbox. Thanks in advance.

Posted on Jul 25, 2008 5:53:47 PM PDT
S. Saxon says:
Sounds like a good router.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 26, 2008 2:33:34 PM PDT
John Mccool says:
I used Windows Media Center that is built into Vista. Go to the media blade on your 360 and you'll see Media center as an option on the bottom. Select it and the 360 will guide you through a set up to connect to your computer.

Posted on Sep 14, 2008 12:46:37 PM PDT
Manu Anand says:
Thanks for adding the Mac info!!

Posted on Dec 27, 2008 12:43:37 AM PST
Danny Lugo says:
im actally struggling to set my ps3 with this router help any one?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 4, 2009 8:13:56 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 4, 2009 8:15:44 AM PST
John Mccool says:
check the wireless security on your router. if you have not changed the ip address you can type in 192.168.1.1 in to the url of any browser, sign in to your router, then click on wireless. I have security mode set to wpa2 personal, and WPA algorithms set to TKIP+AES. I also have it set to send out a G-only signal because all my wireless devices are g or n, and it is set to channel 11. Hope this helps.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 13, 2009 2:30:03 AM PST
Daniel Kirk says:
Nice review. I also stream my videos from Netflix using the Roku player. This player just went HD with a 720P output just by updating the firmware wirelessly! The netflix movies work great streaming from my wireless router with a 4star quality connection. My Comcast service is 12 to 15kbps.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 24, 2009 8:07:22 PM PST
John Mccool says:
I just experienced the loss of the DHCP info on my router (2/21/09). The router was not talking to my modem at all. I had a wireless signal, but the router could not get the IP information from my provider. I did a reset of both the modem and router (wait about 10 seconds in between plugging the modem in and the router), I reset the router by pressing the little button on the back of it with a pen, and even clicked the DHCP release and DHCP renew buttons once i was logged into my router directly (default is 192.168.1.1; user name is admin and password is admin by default). That did not work so I left it to figure out later. I came back later and everything seemed to work fine. There was some bad weather in my area so I wonder if it had anything to do with my problems.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 18, 2009 1:12:30 AM PDT
Y. Hwang says:
Your ISP may renew your IP address, which means your modem needs reset before the linksys get DHCPed.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 29, 2009 6:40:23 AM PDT
John McCool says:
Yeah that is true. The only problems that i have had with this router is when it loses the IP info from my cable modem, but that could be an issue with my ISP messing things up and not the router. The local IP is always there and my computers have always been able to connect to my router so that is a plus.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›