Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Jessy Lanza Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Grocery Father's Day Gifts Amazon Cash Back Offer LoveandFriendship LoveandFriendship LoveandFriendship  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $149.99 All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Outdoor Recreation SnS

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Game of 2011, January 31, 2012
This review is from: Dark Souls - Playstation 3 (Video Game)
I love Dark Souls. I have played it for four months now. I usually lose interest in a video game after two weeks. I honestly believe this is one of the best games I have ever played.

For the uninitiated, Dark Souls is a combat-oriented RPG. The world is beautifully designed and rendered. The aesthetic of the game ranges from gorgeous, breath-taking vistas to eerie, haunted locales. The sparse NPCs are laconic, have their own agendas, and come and go despite your desires. There are no random, unimportant NPCs in this game. The world of Dark Souls is dangerous, mysterious, and lost. The game designers leave a lot of details unspoken and allow your imagination to fill in the gaps.

That said, this game can be very frustrating. I die a lot. I have fallen off cliffs. I have lost encounters with monsters much stronger than my character. I have been killed by other players repeatedly. I have been poisoned. I have been ambushed.

So is it fun? Yeah, I think so. There is something exciting about exploring your way through a booby-trapped fortress that would give Indiana Jones a run for his money. It is rewarding to fight a near invulnerable opponent until you find his weakness, beat him to a pulp, and walk away with his magic ring. It's exciting to truly be worried about what is around the next corner when you've come way too far to go back, but don't want to dare fate and push ahead. It's exciting to sneak through the dark hoping you hear the monsters before the monsters hear you. This game has lifted my spirits and brutally dashed my hopes.

Will you like it? Maybe. I love it. It's a hard game. I spent an hour trying to figure out how to finish the tutorial level. Here are five things I have learned playing the game that might help you:

1) If you're stuck (especially on the tutorial level), ask yourself "What am I missing here?" because you are probably missing something. Check every corner.

2) The best offense is good defense. Wear a shield and keep it up. In general, let your enemies make the first swing and then hit them. Learn to dodge.

3) If you are really struggling, watch a walkthrough. I highly recommend the GameFront Dark Souls walkthrough by Mitchell on YouTube. Mitchell's commentary is very funny. Sometimes seeing it is possible to overcome some great difficulty is all you need to do it yourself.

4) Patience is the key. Starting over sucks. Dying when the boss has one hit point left sucks. Falling off that ledge AGAIN sucks. It's easy to get frustrated, lose your patience, make more mistakes, and then die again. It can quickly spiral into an unfun gaming session. Turn the game off when this happens and come back later. It's so much easier.

5) Finding the Drake Sword early in the game will make the game so much easier. Upgrade your weapons and armor. Better equipment makes a huge difference.

I hope there is a sequel. I'd buy it in heartbeat. I haven't played Demon Souls yet, but I'm going to play it if / when I am tired of Dark Souls.

[Add comment]