5.0 out of 5 stars Falling in love with Starcraft 2 all over again, March 12, 2013
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: StarCraft II: Heart of the Swarm Expansion Pack (Video Game)
First off I would like to say that While i love Starcraft 2, I was never much one for the eSports competitive side, so I cannot comment on super balance of everything and how the new units figure into it all and what not. I am more interested in the Campaign, and playing with friends against AI. So that is what My impressions are on!

I have only played the game for 4 hours so far (finished 5 levels), I woke up at 3am just to play it! And I feel like I have fallen in love with Starcraft II aaaaall over again.

The Campaign starts right where wings of liberty finished, if you haven't finished that campaign you owe it to yourself to do so! It's still an amazing campaign and well worth the time to play.

The campaigns starts out a tiny bit slow for veterans, but for new players it quickly shows you the ropes of how to build up a zerg army and other necessary tutorial based things. After the first 2 missions you get to really get into building an army of zerg and stampeding over your enemies. And I am loving every second of it.

Zerg being my favorite race in Starcraft II does help my love for this game, but even still the game is done so well. The Graphics in and out of actual gameplay are great, the story is amazing, and the voice acting is top notch (All things you expect from the SCII Saga).

What's new:

They added a few things to make the campaign more... interesting. First of all is the leveling. Kerrigan can gain levels by completely story missions and extra side missions, every 10 levels or so she gains a new (and often extremely overpowered ability). For instance at level 10 you get the ability to either have Overlords build instantly and provide 50% extra control, or, whenever a zerg unit dies it revives at your hive after 10 seconds. You can only chose one, but you can switch them around between every mission.

Evolving Units is not something new but it is handled differently. Each unit has 3 different choices, for instance zerglings can be Faster, Have more health, or Attack faster. Again you can switch between them between missions freely, each unit also evolves into a more advanced unit. Zerglings can become a leaping Raptor for example. You get an amazing amount of customization choices in this.

The Achievements in missions are done the same in this as was in WoL and I enjoy that. There are 3 achievements for normal mode, and 1 for Hard mode, and some of them are quite difficult but rewarding. One of my favorite things to do in WoL was to try and get the achievements, some of them really made you think or change your strategy completely in order to complete them, and added a great deal of replay value for me.

Vs AI Mode has been added, and by that I mean you and your friends will be pitted against AI that is balanced to meet your level of skill. And it's awesome. It will chose the varying levels of difficulty automatically based on how you play so you don't have to think "Well maybe I can do hard...I don't know" You can still chose if you want but only in custom game mode. I find the auto choice to be more fun!

There are also added tutorials and things for new players, show them the ropes even get into some of the more advanced skills to learn for SCII, and the Challenges are back to teach you the REAL hard things.

New Units:

At this time I cannot comment much on any of the new units as I mentioned above I don't play Multiplayer so the whole balancing issues and such are lost on me. I can say that the new Zerg units are cool and offer a great deal of versatility, particularly with the Viper's pull skill. But that's sadly all I can really say for now on it. I only watched videos of them in action (and they all look awesome).

All in all, I think the game so far has been amazing. I feel that the campaign this time is shorter, but with more re playability than WoL even had, considering the amount of variations in evolution and skills you can go into missions with. I have been reminded how much fun SCII is to play and how well it's made. You aren't just getting a small expansion, like brood war was to SC1, you are getting a whole new game.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 11 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 13, 2013 10:54:12 AM PDT
G. J. Nunez says:
I agree the graphics are completely beautiful in this game, so far as I have only completed five or six missions. I can tell I will replay those missions a few hundred times.

Posted on Mar 13, 2013 11:01:59 AM PDT
Shanghaied says:
Solid review; Ill have to agree with your points and your rating. This is clearly a five star game.

I plan to post a review after I spend some more time with the game this weekend. So far the first few missions have been phenomenal, and the focus on Kerrigan this time has really made the game far more interesting. Kerrigan is probably Blizzards best character.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 13, 2013 11:43:49 AM PDT
Thanks :3

I'm more than half way through the campaign and I am still loving every second of it. I think I may knuckle down and get through the rest of it tonight then start going after some of the achievements.

Got to play a bit with my friend last night, we were both struggling to remember how to play the game in multiplayer, I got so used to have 9 larvae at a hive in Single Player that having 3 again was painful.

I also agree with you that Kerrigan is one of blizzards best characters, and I prefer the story of Starcraft above Diablo and Warcraft personally.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 13, 2013 11:53:19 AM PDT
Shanghaied says:
Absolutely. While SC is probably my least favorite gameplay wise, the writing and story is far, far better than any other Blizzard IP. It's great to see they're keeping the standard high here.

I don't even know where to begin with MP. Sometimes I think it's on par with studying chess.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 13, 2013 12:39:36 PM PDT
"Sometimes I think it's on par with studying chess. "

I get beaten in it just as badly :p But I still like playing chess.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 15, 2013 11:37:30 AM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Mar 19, 2013 4:58:23 PM PDT]

Posted on Mar 20, 2013 9:10:54 AM PDT
Klahlass says:
The achievements are almost all, if not all in the "Normal" difficulty, and none of them seem too hard to do. I won the game in Normal mode in about 6 hours, only one or two missions only had 1 achievement when I finished. Most had 2 done, and a few (4-5) I had all 3 on my first "normal" run. The ones I missed tended to be "Destroy 20 buildings before X happened" and I had 18. I don't know of any of the achievements that requires anything more than "Normal" difficulty (but not positive, hence "almost all" used before).

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 20, 2013 9:37:22 AM PDT
There are a set of achievements in the challenge section. 1 Per mission, that requires you to do something more, and do it on hard mode.

Posted on May 24, 2013 9:10:32 AM PDT
J. Hall says:

Posted on Aug 21, 2013 10:39:21 AM PDT
Nakkiel says:
The WoL campaign sucked... not sure what you are talking about. Yes the story was actually very good, albeit slightly predictable. (I expected it to fit Blizzard's new "games are only for kids" storyline regime, which it did not.) However it was so easy... the achievements easy, "brutal" mode still super easy. The one hard mission was the last Protoss vision mission; that was it. While the reviews for the expansion are good... I have to figure most were made by people not completely disappointed with WoL. (~1700 WoL reviews vs ~300 HoS reviews lol.)

I already know I will hate multiplayer. I hate the fast throw units at each other and watch things die BS. It is easy and gets boring fast. No chance of me buying this at the current price, but is the story worth buying this when it falls to $15-$20?
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.4 out of 5 stars (486 customer reviews)

$26.45