Facility Spring Cleaning Spring Reading 2016 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Sixx AM Fire TV Stick Beauty Gifts Made in Italy Amazon Gift Card Offer out2 out2 out2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors Kindle Paperwhite ReadyRide Bikes from Diamondback SnS

4.0 out of 5 stars I really like it! (NOW UPDATED, 1 year later), March 21, 2012
This review is from: CTS 2.5-Inch HD Rotatable LED IR DVR Video Camcorder with Camera Holder Brand: Lingstar (Electronics)
This product us well worth the 30 or 40 bucks you pay for it. If you want HD picture, GPS, & G-forge readings there are plenty of OTHER options but they will be hundreds. I see this camera as something that will provide non-bias evidence if ever needed to defend myself.

It IS low resolution, but not close to a deal breaker. It reminds me of the quality of digital video cameras 5 or so years back as far as picture quality is concerned.

The on-board LCD really should only be used for aiming the camera to the car's center. Other than that the LCD is very low quality. Once you remove the video from the card, it looks mush better than on the LCD. I am able to make out clearly the license plates in front of me for one car length, out of that it is too pixelated, but still shows a good view of what is going on. There is also a digital zoom if you need to get a little closer, albeit lower resolution, to your subject while driving.

You CAN turn off sound which I thought helped and saved space on the SD card. The IR should also be turned off due to at night it reflects off the window back to the camera. It can be turned on again if you need to take the camera out to record outside damage without a light source.

Night vision (IR Off) is lacking. You would still be able to use it in court to show how the other cars moved, but you couldn't use it to ID people or plates.

Battery lasts a couple hours but I just keep mine plugged in because the charging cable they sent is LONG. It wrapped from the review mirror (Where my camera is), around the frame of the windshield, down the door, under the carpet, under the chair, and into the center console (2004 Toyota Camry).

Mount is EXCELLENT, the most solid part of the package; never moves aim or loses suction.

Case of camera is medium-grade plastic and seems to hold together well, not too bad by any means.

Overall: I will be getting another for the second car. Happy with purchase.

1 YEAR UPDATE:
The camera is still running just as it did when I first set it up. The only thing that broke was the most solid part of the item... the mount. The suction ring came off of the mount so I could not attach it to the window. It has a standard camera mount screw so finding a replacement was not hard. My overall opinion of the product has not changed: It is a GREAT camera for the amount you have to pay! Video is not great, but it will hold up in court if you needed it (Which is why most of you are getting it anyways). It was HARD to set up but once that is done, it works forever. I will be buying more and am happy I got the first one.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-4 of 4 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 21, 2012 7:49:25 PM PDT
Leon. says:
this cam is most likely out of focus. if you take a risk to disassemble it, and find the sensor unit, it's probably consists of 2 parts: a lens screwed into a lens holder with the sensor inside. if this is the case, there's also probably one drop of a glue on the thread which can be removed with a sharp knife and the lens repositioned. To find better setting, just put some marks on the lens frame aim at object on a needed distance and record video turning the lens a bit noting the next mark. Then review recorded video and turn the lens to the best position. I have a similar camera but with the turnable lens and I can read licence plates easily after this fix.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 15, 2013 4:14:42 PM PDT
Sweetboy says:
Is it auto delete the old videos when the memory full or Do we need to format every time its full? If yes what the settings?
Thanks

Posted on Mar 28, 2013 5:45:01 PM PDT
KnollAdmin says:
Bob says:

Can anyine tell me how to program this unit to record longer than 30 seconds? I tried all the record time and it stays at 30 seconds.

Posted on Feb 14, 2014 3:48:31 AM PST
I hope no one payed 30-40 dollars for this. I realize that this is an older review with a one year update, but since i just did my own one year update I have to comment that with DashCams getting better and better and even before then this model has horrible night time video and even in the day time video is rough.
I always recommend all drivers go to DashCamTalk and do a little research and check out This G1W on Amazon as the best entry level camera. I would not buy anything cheaper.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›