5.0 out of 5 stars `My philosophy is simple - to cook from the heart, and to live in harmony with the seasons.', May 15, 2008
This review is from: Maggie's Harvest (Hardcover)
Between the embroidered covers of this wonderful reference book are 716 pages of Maggie Beer's memories, musings and recipes. Beautifully accompanied by colour photographs of dishes, places and ingredients, this is a book filled with inspiration and Ms Beer's passion for food.

I bought this book for myself as a present, and have spent hours remembering recipes from my youth and rejoicing in the offerings of the seasons. Ms Beer's book is organised by season: Summer; Autumn (Fall); Winter and Spring. Entries are alphabetic within seasons. The instructions are easy to follow and the recipes are foolproof (trust me: I've tested some of them).

This is a book to explore and to seek inspiration from. From almonds, anchovies and artichokes to venison, vine leaves, witlof and zucchini there is much to feast your eyes on. And should you want more than a visual feast, then there are recipes to follow as you create your own actual feast.

I bought this book for the pictures, but it continues to encourage me to explore new cuisine. I especially enjoy the seasonal approach. It may be true that many of us can obtain most items at any time of the year but there is something wonderful about fresh food in season that makes cooking even more satisfying.

Jennifer Cameron-Smith

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-7 of 7 posts in this discussion
Initial post: May 15, 2008 9:23:43 AM PDT
Misfit says:
Thank you, I'll have to look this one up. I really have to get myself back into the kitchen and really cook, it's been too long....

Posted on May 15, 2008 4:32:46 PM PDT
I like good cookbooks--from mainstream to quirky. Several of my cookbooks use the seasonal motif; I'm not sure I find it useful, but if the recipes are good, what do I care? Anyhow, a very well crafted review.

Posted on May 16, 2008 2:48:53 AM PDT
R. Kyle says:
What a lovely philosophy.

Posted on May 17, 2008 3:53:27 AM PDT
Paul Weiss says:
I really don't like cooking at all so I don't think even a stellar review like yours could persuade me to purchase a cookbook. But I can certainly enjoy a well written review, Jenny.

Posted on May 17, 2008 3:10:33 PM PDT
Karen Joan says:
Jenny, my husband, who is the cook in our family, would love this book. Thanks.

Posted on May 19, 2008 1:18:15 AM PDT
A. J. Cull says:
A nicely prepared and seasoned review, Jenny. My compliments to the chef!

Posted on May 19, 2008 4:02:02 PM PDT
Linda Bulger says:
This sounds wonderful, Jenny. I like (and agree with) your point about seasonal food. It's also a good thing for the planet to challenge oneself to "eat local" whenever possible. I like exotic ingredients as well as anyone does but there IS something satisfying about locally grown foods.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.5 out of 5 stars (11 customer reviews)

$125.00 $110.35