5.0 out of 5 stars An Acquired Taste..., April 26, 2012
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Dark Souls - Playstation 3 (Video Game)
I'll tell you what: when I first played this game, I thought it was a joke; I played for approximately sixty minutes and then gave up after I kept getting killed by the Asylum Demon at the very start of the game. I just didn't think it was at all fun, and thought it to be too hard. Plus, I'm not a huge RPG fan, so that was another turn off.

Several months went by, and I played through myriad other PS3 titles, and had run out of games to play. As I was sifting through my collection of games to find something fresh to play, I came across Dark Souls. I thought to myself, "Ah, what the hell... I'll give it another try." And, that I did.

Now, over 150 hours into the game, I AM HOOKED. I can't stop playing this game. Normally, prior to Dark Souls, I'd sit down and play videogames for three or four hours per day; now, I sit down and play ten to twelve hours per day, without so much as getting up to use the restroom (even if I have to do so).

I can only say that Dark Souls is THE most fascinatingly captivating game I've EVER played (and I've played a lot of games). Not only is it fun, it's extremely challenging (beyond challenging, actually), thought provoking, awe inspiring, frustrating (in a good way), and, in many instances, extremely frightening.

I recommend this game to ANYONE, but especially those who like to become fully immersed in their gaming experience. This isn't just a game where you go from start to finish in a linear fashion; this is a universe of its own, with vast landscapes and beautifully crafted worlds and characters and weapons and spells and dialogue and narrative. You could play through this game a thousand times and never have the same experience. Things are constantly evolving, and with such multi-faceted quest-lines, the number of different character builds and tools available to each player, the replay value is HUGE.

I really recommend that you visit the Wiki and follow a walkthrough so that you can get the most out of each level; it'll make things a lot less frustrating also. I mean, you'll still die regardless, walkthrough or no walkthrough, and you'll die a lot, but at least you'll know what to expect (kinda).

If I could, I'd rate this game 10 out of 5 stars.

Absolutely love it. But it's not really something for the "passive," or "average" gamer. You've really got to devote yourself, your time and your energy to this game.

Enjoy!

********UPDATE********

I wanted to check back in now that I've logged nearly 300 hours of time in this game, and am halfway through NG++ (third playthrough).

Not only have I NOT become bored with the game, but, rather, the opposite has occurred; I've become more intrigued and even more immersed in the game than I was prior. Not many games can do that (except, of course, for the one-and-only "Metal Gear Solid: Guns of the Patriots").

If someone like myself, who lacked a penchant for role-playing games, could become this involved in, and fall in love with, a role-playing game such as Dark Souls, then think of the possibilities for those of you who eat, sleep and breathe RPG.

I simply CANNOT wait for the follow-up to Dark Souls. I also have Dark Souls to thank for reintroducing me to a genre of gaming that I thought I'd lost any and all interest in; this game has rekindled my interest and love for RPG/Fantasy titles, and I'm glad to be able to expand my horizons instead of having nothing to look forward to except another FPS.

But, I digress... My main point is that this game is epic and beyond standard definition; terms such as "fun" and "amazing" don't come close to grasping this game's potential, its playability and its addictiveness. This is the first game I've achieved Platinum trophy status; no other game gave me a reason to try and achieve Platinum status (except, again, "MGS: GotP," however, trophies weren't present in said game; had they been, I'd have done everything possible to obtain each and every one).

So please... BUY IT, PLAY IT, BEAT IT... Then, start all over.

[Add comment]