5.0 out of 5 stars Well Worth the Wait, October 17, 2011
This review is from: Masterpiece Classic: Downton Abbey Season 2 (Original U.K. Edition) (DVD)
I cannot review this set, as it has not yet been released. But I can tell others that it is well worth the wait. Here in the UK we are on the 5th episode of 8 and are promised a Chrsitmas special as well. I hope that will be included in the US version, hence the February release. The story is set during World War I and there are some spectacular twists to the story! Those you love and those you love to hate are all back, with some new characters as well. The scripts are very well written, Maggie Smith has some fabulous lines! The costumes and scenery are again lush. I am enjoying this series so much I have pre-ordered this set for my brother in the US. If you loved series 1 and got involved with the characters you will love series 2 which continues their stories. It is a huge hit here and they are already talking about series 3, to be set in the 1920's.
Update: the DVD set has come out in the UK. I cannot know what will be on the US version, but the UK version has a section of deleted scenes. Have a look at them, some bits of the story make more sense. The reveiws here are mixed, as many thought it got too "soap opera" and predictable, while others felt it was unbelievable.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 19 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 18, 2011 10:03:54 PM PDT
eileenpr says:
Thanks for your review -- and preview -- Lizzie. My friends and I here in Boston loved Season 1 and are eagerly anticipating Season 2. I just wish we didn't have to wait until February! It's torture. I am so glad to hear a Season 3 is planned and I hope more. I was so sad to see Lark Rise to Candleford end after three and a half seasons -- I highly recommend it if you haven't seen it (but I think it was pretty popular in the UK). For some strange reason, Lark Rise never made it to primetime on our local PBS station. I discovered it on amazon. Have a good day -- and enjoy the remaining three episodes of DA season 2. Eileen

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 20, 2011 7:22:48 AM PDT
S. M. M. says:
Eileen, you can order Season 2 from Amazon.co.uk. It releases on 7 November. I have ordered from Amazon UK before and it takes about a week to get to the US East Coast. (The estimated delivery is 14-18 November on my order.) This will be a region 2 DVD, so you will need a region free DVD player. Amazon sells them for about $40 but I found a way to convert my Phillips DVD player so it will play all regions. There are several "hacks" online to convert DVD players. The DVD is 17.66 GBP (pounds) which converts to about 28 USD. I did not want to wait until February and PBS seems to cut too many scenes when they air these shows.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 21, 2011 3:04:05 AM PDT
lizzie says:
Hi Eileen, Lark Rise was very popular here and there was quite an uproar when it was cancelled. Supposedly the BBC thought it had run its course, but I suspect it was about money. It is so much cheaper to put on "Dancing on Ice" or "X Factor" or these other rubbish reality/celebrity game shows rather than quality drama. Another good one was Cranford, which the US changed the name for some weird reason. If you're into such things, there is a book out called "The World of Downton Abbey" with lots of pictures and behind the scenes stories as well as the chronicle of the TV show. Enjoy!
I used to live in Boston, enjoy the fall!

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 21, 2011 3:09:27 AM PDT
lizzie says:
Dumb question, why does PBS cut scenes? Downton is shown here on ITV, which is a commercail channel so there are ads and the programme isn't 60 minutes long. Is it because it is shown in the "pledge drive season"? As I remember Masterpiece Theatre it only had a little intro at the start, so surely that doesn't take up so much time.
Thanks for the info to all on region 2 dvds. So many foreign buyers ignore this and then give bad reviews because they couldn't watch on their TVs.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 21, 2011 7:27:35 AM PDT
S. M. M. says:
Hi Lizzie, I wish I knew why PBS cuts scenes. I had watched the 2009 Emma on YouTube in 9 minute intervals just to see it. I had set my DVR when Emma aired on PBS so I could see it on my TV without interuption. They cut the scene with Knightley and Emma sitting on the bench after the proposal! When I received my own copy I noticed there were several smaller scenes they did not think important. I would guess it was to add more commercials at the end. I had purchased Season/Series one of Downton Abbey before it aired and did not bother to watch it on PBS but I read the comments about cut scenes. It annoys me when people leave negative feedback on things like that or shipping problems also. We need more shows like Downton. US TV is filled with reality trash shows. I was thrilled to find Amazon.co.uk is releasing Season 2 of Downton so soon.
My husband was stationed at RAF Molesworth in Northampton in the late 90s. There were not many Americans and the base was not large, so we got to experience more of the real England. Some days I wish we had never left!

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 21, 2011 6:37:25 PM PDT
eileenpr says:
Hi, S.M.M. and thanks for tipping me off to the fact that I might be able to convert my DVD player to accept region 2 DVDs. I don't have room in my entertainment armoire to add another piece of electronics equipment, so I think for now I will keep my combo DVD/VHS tape player. When you say there are several "hacks" online to convert DVD players, I'm afraid I don't know what you mean. Could you explain how I would go about converting it? I would so love to find a way to convert my player so I can see DA2 sooner. Thanks again! Eileen

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 21, 2011 6:44:22 PM PDT
eileenpr says:
Hi, Lizzie-- I agree with you -- I love Cranford (it actually is called Cranford here in the US too) and have watched it several times. I wasn't as crazy about Return to Cranford because so many of the beloved characters were missing. Thanks for the tip about the book. I absolutely love Downton Abbey -- everything about it, including the opening music. Fall is about two weeks late this year so we are not even near peak yet, which is ok with me because this is my favorite season and I only wish it lasted longer. I hope you liked your time in Boston -- where do you live now?

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 21, 2011 6:55:15 PM PDT
eileenpr says:
I agree with you, S.M.M. about the reality TV shows. Saves money becsause they don''t have to hire actors, but most of it is trash and panders to the lowest common denominator. I agree that we need more quality programming like Downton Abbey and the many other excellent period dramas from BBC and Masterpiece here in the US. How did you find your life in England to be different from here? Even though I've never been to England (been to Ireland and many other countries in Europe), I sometimes think I was born in the wrong country and would be happier across the pond.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 22, 2011 7:31:27 AM PDT
S. M. M. says:
Hi Eileen, there are websites where people post "hacks' for several DVD players. If yours is older you will have a better chance of getting it to work. By "hack" I just mean a way to convert. I have a Phillips DVD player. I had to go into the menu and type a number, it then let me change the region number from "1" to "0". Some players are easier to "hack", hopefully yours is one of those. I understand not wanting to buy a new player. The website I used was videohelpdotcombackslashdvdhacks. Amazon may erase it because I don't think you are suppossed to post web addresses on here. I wrote it out so maybe they won't find it. Just put the make and model of your player in the search area to see if there are any hacks. It only took me a minute to change the region code, after I found the remote that is! If you can not convert yours and have to wait till February, you may be able to see it on YouTube. It is currently blocked, but I did watch all of the 2009 Emma that way. (Sounds desperate, I know.)There are trailers for DA2 on YouTube now. If you do order from Amazon UK, you can use the same sign on for this Amazon. If you have any stored CC, it will bring those up also. The only thing that does not transfer is the Prime membership. (Prime has me spoiled with shipping times.) I guess I will be stalking my mail carrier during the second week of November! Good luck in converting your DVD player!

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 26, 2011 9:15:34 AM PDT
lizzie says:
Hi, born and raised near Cape Cod, university days spent in Boston (Northeastern) and then Newton Centre. Later moved to Springfield for work. I now live in the northeast of England, north of Newcastle.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.9 out of 5 stars (12,181 customer reviews)
 (11,152)