5.0 out of 5 stars My first Eco-Drive, December 17, 2004
This review can't be completely comprehensive since I've only had this watch for two weeks now, but it sure is attractive, comfortable and easy to use.

I typically shy away from quartz watches except as cheap work knock-abouts. My best watches are all automatics. I have several Omegas, 3 Rolex's, and 2 TAG's and a Breitling. All Automatics. I also have a Luminox as my "cheap" quartz knock-about. I feel that it is silly to have an expensive watch and it be reliant on using a battery. A good watch should be self-sufficient.

Citizen has performed an amazing technological breakthrough with the Eco-Drive movement. It is powered by light through a solar cell underneath the face. The cells are so efficient that they are invisible and it is impossible to tell it is there. They seem to have overcome any limitations of face design, and they now come in a multitude of colors and configurations.

The watches are claimed to never need a battery. The solar cell keeps a capacitor charged and the watch needs amazingly little light exposure. A few minutes a day is all that is needed. Not only that but the power reserve on some Citizen models is meaured in years. I'm not sure about this one but I think it is at least 6 months. AND, the watch can go into a power save mode where the movement is disabled and still keep time. Take the watch into the light for a minute or so and the movement resets and you're back in business.

This watch has a perpetual calendar that knows the month, date and leap year status so the date calendar is always right. This is a terrific touch. There is a little dial that tells you the day of the week, as well as 24 hour dial. Mine the two tone model, gold on a black face and looks terrific.

It has an alarm that while low in db is at a frequency that seems to be able to wake anyone from a deep sleep.

Did I mention that this watch is classically beautiful and can hold it's own quality-wise with any of the high dollar competition from Switzerland. Most people when they see it think it's a Breitling.

The bracelet is heavy and is in my opinion superior the the Rolex Submariner bracelet in terms of feel, comfort and heft. Plus, the clasp has these two little tabs on either side for a nice positive lock similar to the Omegas. Both watches make the normal Rolex Sub bracelet and clasp look cheap, flimsy and unworthy of the price.

I find almost nothing to fault about this watch, but I would have liked to have luminous markers, but the hands glow well and last all night. This watch gives up nothing to a $2500 Breitling.

I am not a watch chauvenist by any means, but I have always like the autos better knowing I am not reliant on an outside thing such as a battery without which my expensive watch is nothing better than a fancy paperweight. I am satisfied with the Eco-Drive concept.

Like most watch guys I value accuracy and this watch has it. I have all my autos tuned to be within a few seconds a month when worn. Wearing an automatic watch in the different arm positions throughout the day averages out the mechanical factors that lead to inaccuracies. In reality and normal use even the best quartz watches generally cannot keep time like a well-tuned automatic.

If a quartz movement is +3 seconds it will always gain no matter if worn or in the box so the time drifts. With an automatic, it may be +3 sec up, but -2 down and +1 sideways etc. When worn a lot the averages stay at near zero variation.

Maybe I got lucky with this one, but I set it to my atomic clock 2 weeks ago. As of this writing it is to the second with the atomic. Your results may vary but I suspect that Citizen has done their homework in the QC department.

This watch is inexpensive yet looks very expensive. The quality of the watch is what I have come to expect from a watch in the $1,000 - $2,500 range. Fool your friends. This watch is a bargain at $475. At the Amazon price of $235 it a steal. I may buy another of a different color. Yes folks this is that good.

Buy one and see for yourself.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 3 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-7 of 7 posts in this discussion
Initial post: May 31, 2008 10:53:04 PM PDT
Dana B. Wood says:
good review

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 6, 2008 7:19:00 PM PST
Gary Kurtz says:
Sounds like this guy works for Citizen. Come on now, let's be real about this. The watch is a bit of a monstrosity. No directions on such basics as how to read month or year, and believe me, it's not in the directions. This watch is a genuine nightmare...push this button, pull the crown, stand on your head during full moon. Don't take my word for it, give it a try. Buy one from a dealer that takes returns, take it home, and try to figure this watch out. After a couple hours messing around with it, you too will be heading back to the dealer to return it. Citizen may make a good watch, but believe me, unless you want to make it a hobby learning how to use it, you'll be returning it.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 6, 2010 7:55:08 AM PST
I agree it is convoluted mainly but mainly becuase once you learn you will possibly not have to do it again and it's easy to forget. It's really not too-too bad. I left mine in the drawer for a couple of months and had to reset it, I was able to figure it out in a few minutes.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 24, 2010 11:28:38 AM PDT
Thexder says:
I just got this watch and the basics you are missing are in the manual. It really is in there. The watch doesn't show the year and isn't advertised as doing so. If you don't know what year it is then a watch isn't going to do you much good. I love this watch. If it only told the time I'd expect it to be a no-brainer, but it offers more so I'd expect to have to learn how. I figured out all of its functions without issue, some without the manual and some with. The main review above stands for me.

Posted on Aug 15, 2010 7:47:28 PM PDT
cosmicmes says:
This reviewer is a shill...It "is" a damn nice watch, albeit a bit complicated to learn all the functions. The manual also has an DVD, which I haven't viewed yet. I expect that the learning curve shouldn't be too steep.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 11, 2010 7:07:58 AM PST
if you dont know what year it is what good does knowing the time

Posted on Jun 1, 2012 1:24:53 PM PDT