3.0 out of 5 stars Does not work with Windows 8 (Update below), November 19, 2012
This review is from: Plugable UD-3000 USB 3.0 SuperSpeed Universal Docking Station for Windows 10, 8, 7, XP (HDMI/DVI/ VGA to 2048x1152, Gigabit Ethernet, Audio, 2 USB 3.0 Ports, 4 USB 2.0 Ports, 20W Power Adapter) (Personal Computers)
This dock does not work with Windows 8: it causes my machine to crash just by plugging in the dock and connecting it even with the updated drivers.

Turns out, the displaylink chipsets this dock uses (and almost every other USB 3.0 dock) do not have the right drivers for Windows 8 available yet. This is something I figured out after the fact browsing the internet. However, Displaylink seems to proclaim that they support Windows 8([...]). Now, this is what baffles me: Everyone knows that Windows 8 was in the works with a slew of public beta's and even RFM release available to anyone interested in testing it. How is it that DisplayLink's drivers are not ready when Windows is the only operating system they officially support and Windows 8 is the single biggest refresh of a single product they need to support by the time of its official release? I can only deduce they don't take this seriously enough.

Personally, it is a bit unfair to blame Plugable for all this mess but nonetheless they should take a bad review here. One cannot isolate the chipset from the end product. They are all the same as far as I am concerned.

Update: After my review was posted, Plugable support reached out to me with updated drivers and see if that made any difference. When that did not work, they even sent me a new tested unit to make sure that there was no hardware issues with my original unit. Unfortunately, the problem still exists. The drivers in the installation CD cause my machine to crash and the latest drivers from displaylink website (Version 7.0 M3) never finish installation (the process'es are there in the task manager). I understand display drivers are complicated things, but there is no excuse for shipping software that does not finish installation. If you head over to DisplayLink forums [...] you can see several other problems with Windows 8 from other vendors too. I wish I saw these before I purchased the unit and all the ensuing trouble.

All in all, Plugable has been awesome. They tried to do their best and then some more to help me out but I have not been successful in using the dock with Windows 8. And, just for that I am giving them 2 additional stars.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 5 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 14 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 27, 2012 7:28:38 AM PST
Charles Rice says:
That is surprising about the drivers. As you said, it's not like Win 8 snuck up on anyone.

I see that Dipslaylink released updated drivers on 11/22. Have you had a chance to update and try again?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 27, 2012 10:34:30 AM PST
Kriore says:
Yes. I did and that did not help. I updated my review to reflect latest findings. Thanks!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 27, 2012 11:37:05 AM PST
Charles Rice says:
Bummer, thanks for the update. Hopefully they get it worked out soon.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 5, 2012 6:59:33 PM PST
Have you tried a different product with better success? I am running windows 8 and would like to avoid the problem. Thanks.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 6, 2012 1:26:16 PM PST
Kriore says:
I have not tried other products but I most likely you will run into the same problems if the chip-set in these products is from DisplayLink.

Posted on Dec 13, 2012 8:31:05 PM PST
Charles Rice says:
Since I am switching from a 3-screen desktop to a laptop as my primary computer, I went ahead and ordered this with the expectation that a fix for Windows 8 would arrive, and I am happy to report that it is now working! I now have 3 screens for my new ultrabook:
Built in display
HDMI output
USB 3.0 to Plugable UD-3000

This is where I wanted to be. I now have an ultrabook that gives me all of the usb connected peripherals and screen real estate that I had with my first-gen core i5 desktop, but now I have better performance, and I can unplug 3 cables from it (power, usb, hdmi), and take it with me when I travel. Perfect!

The instructions are on the plugable website with the title "Windows 8 and Intel USB 3.0 Host Controllers."

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 23, 2013 12:36:03 PM PST
PeterM says:
Charles, I am interested in a similar configuration - Ultrabook laptop with Windows 8 os and full size screen and keyboard, etc. Does your ultrabook have a touch sensitive screen? Which brand and model? Thanks,
Peter Martin

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 24, 2013 8:38:23 AM PST
Charles Rice says:
I bought a Vizio CT15-A5 during Thanksgiving weekend sales. It is not a touch screen, but the trackpad is quite good.

Some of the early reviews for the CT15 (for the -A1 or -A2 version) were fairly negative, but judging by mine, they worked out the initial production issues. I've had mine for a couple of months now, I use it for 10 hours or more most weekdays, and I am very happy with it.

Posted on Mar 5, 2013 4:43:24 PM PST
G. Riggs says:
FWIW, this worked okay for me with no problems so far on my Surface Pro running windows 8. DVI Monitor, keyboard, mouse, Ethernet, external USB3.0 drive and sound all working okay for me. Maybe they fixed the problem with windows 8 by now? Or I just got lucky with the Surface Pro hardware?

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 24, 2013 5:38:44 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 24, 2013 5:41:22 PM PDT
Charles -- what model ultrabook are you using?

Just saw your later post ... NEVERMIND!

(I don't know that I have the cahones to buy a Vizio Ultrabook, tho ... :-) )
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›