5.0 out of 5 stars Good value for the money, July 25, 2011
This review is from: Sony Cyber-Shot DSC-W570 16.1 MP Digital Still Camera with Carl Zeiss Vario-Tessar 5x Wide-Angle Optical Zoom Lens and 2.7-inch LCD (Black) (Camera)
I have to disagree with some of these reviews regarding the build quality of this Sony. I have owned HP, an Olympus, two previous Sony's, two Nikon's, and two Canon's. They were all 100% plastic bodies like the DSCW570. I carried them in pants pockets or a shoulder bag. Some were dropped more than a few times onto garage or concrete floors. None including this Sony ever suffered any damage because of the plastic case.

If they broke, it was inside. The Nikon was dropped and the lens failed to extend. An earlier Sony became intermittent. They were sold or given away on Craigslist or BCKS. I carry this Sony in my pants pocket along with a cell phone. It has never been a problem.

I went away from Sony before because I was tired of paying a lot for their proprietary media sticks but there were features of those Sony's I always liked. For example, the infrared focusing beam allows composing in total darkness something my HP, Olympus, and Nikon's could not do. I liked a feature which showed up in my second Canon. It automatically would switch to Macro mode when necessary and would automatically select a Scene mode in Auto mode. In Program mode, it allowed adjusting the exposure, metering method (spot, central area, multi-area), etc. The Sony does the same.

All the other cameras were 3 to 1 optical zooms or less with similar f stop range to the 570 so I see nothing unusual about that. Some would automatically switch to digital zoom so it was necessary to watch out for that happening. The 570 does not do that. One of the earlier cameras had a battery compartment door switch which caused it to open when sliding it into your pants. I would reach for the camera and end up with a handful of batteries. The 570 does not do that either.

Some cameras have the flash near the upper left side of the camera unlike the 570 which has it in the middle. I used to accidentally put a finger over part of the flash when holding the camera with two hands. That does not happen with the 570.

What could be improved is that the electrical connector on the bottom of the camera is completely exposed unlike some cameras which have a rubber cover over it. I also miss the optical viewfinder that the Canon's had but they were larger cameras. A very nice feature is that the manual is actually stored in the camera. That feature was not in any of my older cameras. The written manual is pretty worthless since the camera's internal manual contains more information. The information does not entirely overlap. For example, the information about how many photos per battery charge is in the printed manual but not in the camera but the camera contains the information about all the onscreen icons.

I also like the feature that you can review the photos in the camera without using the on/off switch which extends the lens. Just hit the review button and the screen comes on without the lens opening. By the time I count "one", "two" the image is up. Another feature not available in my older cameras is the ability to review photos by date. The 570 can display a calendar, you select the date, it shows the photos from that date.

Some of my previous cameras had a battery low warning indicator but by the time it gave a warning, the batteries were about gone. The 570 indicator gives a more precise indication in bars like a cell phone signal strength indicator.

Panoramic mode has been available on other cameras for awhile. It is not a feature I found worth while in any camera. I think this is a perfectly satisfactory product which has been trouble free and a pleasure to use.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-1 of 1 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Sep 22, 2011 10:22:02 AM PDT
C. Wright says:
Thank you for your review. Just bought this camera last night and I was impressed with it's compact body, quick/clear picture taking, and easy access to settings. Take for example I set up on P mode I can scroll down to metering mode and it tells me the difference between multi, center, and spot. I compared cameras (at a store) ranging from $100 to $270 focusing on Canon's, Nikon's, and Sony's. Out all of them this one took the clearest pictures with the exception of the more expensive Sony and seemed the most well made. Plus it has a zeiss lens.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›