Automotive Holiday Deals Books Gift Guide Books Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_plcc_6M_fly_beacon Adele egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Subscribe & Save Gifts Under $50 Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Gift Card Offer bf15 bf15 bf15 $30 Off Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Black Friday Deals Outdoor Deals on Tikes

3,475 of 3,589 people found the following review helpful
4.0 out of 5 stars My 3rd Garmin - New Features and how they worked, November 25, 2011
This review is from: Garmin nüvi 2595LMT 5-Inch Portable Bluetooth GPS Navigator with Lifetime Maps and Traffic (Discontinued by Manufacturer) (Electronics)
This is my 3rd Garmin GPS. I have become accustomed to their user interface and performance, so I can't compare to other makes. I wanted to talk about the new features that attracted me to this unit and how I evaluated their usefulness on my first 3 hour road trip to a location I know by heart.

Feature 1 - 5 inch screen. I am older and am having to use reading glasses to see the GPS mounted to the dash. My earlier unit was a 4 inch. I considered a 7 inch Magellan, but when I found out you couldn't install custom POIs on the Magellan, it ruled that one out for me. We go camping frequently and I have all the state parks as custom POIs. I also have truck stops I like to use. The 5 inch display was definately an improvement for me.

Feature 2 - Automated voice recognition. I definately don't like being distracted by touching the screen to see how far the next roadside rest is (see custom POIs above). So I thought telling the GPS what I wanted made a lot of sense. When it comes to "commands" this feature works OK, but I have discovered I have to turn the radio volume down or talk VERY LOUDLY. The latter disturbs my wife :-) However, when you want to provide an address to locate, the unit performed badly. I couldn't get it to correctly locate any of 3 addresses correctly... i.e. "4810 Whitewood Court" ended up with something very strange.

Feature 3 - Turn lanes. Knowing which lane you need to be in to correctly exit the highway and be ready for the next turn. There are two distinctly different features on this unit for knowing the turn lanes. One is "Viewing Junctions" which displays a picture of the upcoming junction, complete with signage. This takes up about the right half of the screen. The other turn lane feature is a small area in the upper left corner that shows , by using arrows, the number of lanes. The lane(s) you are to be in are bright white, while the others are grey. I found the arrows to be VERY useful and quick to absorb at a glance. I found the "Viewing Junctions" not very useful, as you had to look over a much larger area of the screen to absorb the information in a glance. I found I had to glance at the "Viewing Junctions" image several times before I understood which lane it wanted me to be in. For me at least, the "Viewing Junction" feature was of no use to me.

Feature 4 - Traffic. On my trip there were no traffic problems, so I didn't get to experience any rerouting due to traffic conditions. This feature appears to only work when you are in or around larger cities. Between cities, pressing the traffic button indicated that there was no or weak signal.

Feature 5 - Posted speed limits - As you are navigating a small sign appears on the display showing the posted limit and your actual speed. If your actual speed exceeds the posted limit, it turns red. Nice little feature to keep honest people honest.

Other Notes:
I found the estimated time of arrival to be more accurate than my previous GPSs. Perhaps because it knows the posted limits as they change along the route??? The menu system is different from my prior GPSs.

There is an icon composed of 3 horizontal white bars that, when pressed, bring up other options. Sometimes this icon is in the lower right of the display, sometimes it is located elsewhere depending on where you are in the menus. Since this was a little different than prior units, I am having to get adjusted to this.

[Add comment]
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Tracked by 18 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 95 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 26, 2011 11:35:49 AM PST
MissP says:
Ummmm... why is the 2595 review under the 2555 review???!!!!!

Posted on Jan 5, 2012 10:26:31 AM PST
gps 4 life says:
For voice commands of addresses, make sure to say the address in the following format: "123 Mulberry Lane, Los Angeles, California". If you add the zip code you'll have problems.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 9, 2012 6:44:53 AM PST
P. Donnelly says:

Why are all the Garmin products showing the same reviews by the same reviewers?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 13, 2012 4:18:23 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 28, 2012 6:54:43 AM PST
doctor don says:
Are not all of the features the same for the Nüvi 2500 series? The differences are in the lifetime maps and lifetime traffic and Bluetooth.
And I am still waiting for someone to tell me the main differences between Garmin models 1490 and 2595, both with LMT.

Posted on Jan 28, 2012 6:14:03 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 28, 2012 6:22:42 AM PST
I also have owned prior Garmin on and off road models. I will not ever use any other brand. I am amused by the fellow above that says he has to get used to the new features. Well, when you buy a new anything like a car you learn where the same things like headlights are. The learning curve is minimal here. The feature of the JUNCTION VIEW is fantastic..! How could you screw up when an actual PICTURE of the intersection comes up either 1/2 screen or full screen. If you know an intersection where you travel well you can see that the view is absolutely accurate with road signs and all with a white arrow showing where your vehicle should be. This is like holding your hand. My favorite feature to tell you about is the WERE AM I feature. If you press this icon you get actual coordinates as to your location, the nearest intersection and the closest address on that road or street. On the right side of the screen is the offering of three very important items, especially when you are in another State with your family and have a small or large emergency. This shows you the local hospitals with and without emergency rooms, the local police and fuel stations nearby. The Hospitals show addresses and the phone number and milage to same. Hit go and Garmin will take you right there. If police are needed you also get address and phone number. Let's say Aunt Ethel is having heart pains. You have the local police number and you have on the screen the exact location needed to enable the police to get an emergency unit to you ASAP! This is very consoling to have even if you are traveling with kids who can need medical help for lots of reasons. No more looking for the guy on the corner and asking him if he knows where help is. Invaluable at least.
The modern models I have purchased all have LMT which gives you lifetime Maps and Traffic. I will admit that the traffic feature is only helpful if you are near a densely populated area and then it kicks in. Well, being I am mostly in the country those big traffic problems don't happen very often unless someones cattle get out and are standing in the highway. The Lifetime Map Update up to 4 times a year is great. There are always new roads being built and new intersections etc, under any other President that is, and you can hook your GPS to your computer and if you registered it whithin 60 days of when you purchased the unit, you can get the latest maps. My advise here is to do this about the time you are going to bed at night and leave it hooked up all night. It does take a while so just leave it there. ALWAYS REMEMBER TO ASK PERMISSION TO REMOVE HARDWARE before you unplug the unit from the computer just as you would for a flash drive. Otherwise you could come away loosing something like the voice that you have selected to advise you as you are driving. Being computer savvy I got burned badly by not asking permission to get SAFE TO REMOVE HARDWARE NOTE and drove 8 hours out and back in silence. Had I carried my USB cord in my suitcase, where it is always now, I could have repaired that mistake in 5 minutes at the hotel with the use of one of their free computers in the lobby area. Ask to unhook Hardware always..!
Garmin is the best. They have a wonderful support system and customer service help. You cannot go wrong with Garmin, just be sure to buy a unit with LMT. You can update older units for between $80.00. Only the registered owner can update the unit. I have had a problem with this as I gift my older units to young people in my family and if they live 3 States away it is not easy for me to update the unit for the kids. I don't like this feature because the unit has been legally purchased on AMAZON and immediately registered with Garmin. Garmin recognizes the unit's serial number immediately when plugged into the computer and can see that the update card has also been leagally purchased thru them or Amazon and refuses to update it unless done by the registered person themselves as they will not recognize the new owner of the gift. My complaint is this rule.

Posted on Feb 25, 2012 10:28:47 AM PST
Edison says:
I nearly purchased a Garmin GPS; however having read in the customer reviews that Garmin has added advertising - I WILL NOT BUY A GARMIN!

Sorry, but I am at a point where just cannot stomach any more "unsolicited" advertising. We currently are subjected a forced bombardment of advertising. There is no way I am going to spend $270.00 to see ever more unsolicited advertising.

I would reconsider my decision should Garmin give me a method (option) that would allow me the "FREEDOM OF CHOICE" to program my unit so as to NOT display any

Sorry but it's not business, it' Personal.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 25, 2012 11:03:06 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 25, 2012 11:06:04 AM PST
Dick, You are cutting off your nose to spite your face. I have owned GARMIN UNITS ON AND OFF ROAD FOR YEARS. I don't like adds either but they are easy to ignore and when you start moving they leave the screen. Yes this is a free country and you can decide not to buy this unit for $219.95 everywhere today not $270.00 as you incorrectly state. YOU CAN DISABLE LIFETIME TRAFFIC TO GET RID OF THE ADDS..!!
You can get up on your roof and yell it at the neighborhood if you'd like. YOU ARE NOT GOING TO BEAT GARMIN AT GETTING YOU AROUND ACCURATELY AND WITH THE NEWEST INNOVATIONS. Kick, scream and yell but when you end up with an inferior product....KEEP THAT TO YOURSELF BECAUSE WHEN YOUR BIG MOUTH GETS YOU BURNED DOING THAT...You will not be man enough to admit it! HAVE A NICE LIFE WITH YOUR TOM-TOM...OR MAGELLAN...SEE YA...! OneOWL

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 25, 2012 1:05:22 PM PST
doctor don says:
Garmin nüvi 2595LMT is listed at 8 different sellers, including Amazon and Walmart, at $249-250.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 25, 2012 6:44:30 PM PST
Brian Amazon says:
there is a good comparison chart of ALL Garmin Nuvi units and features ad this website

Posted on Feb 25, 2012 7:51:12 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 25, 2012 7:52:21 PM PST
This is where Amazon asked us to rate the Garmin Nuvi 2555LMT unit and most of us did that. Why would a review of a Garmin Nuvi 2595 LMT be included here. Can't Amazon separate the reviews as this review is useless to the people that hope to be reading about what they are looking to purchase by clicking on reviews..? I give Amazon very poor marks for this screw up..!
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next ›