Automotive Holiday Deals Books Gift Guide Books Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Black Friday egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Grooming Deals Gifts for Her Amazon Gift Card Offer cm15 cm15 cm15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $30 Off Fire HD 6 Kindle Cyber Monday Deals Holiday Music in CDs & Vinyl Outdoor Deals on HTL

5.0 out of 5 stars One Reason You Must Buy the Blu-Ray..., January 13, 2011
This review is from: Dances with Wolves (Two-Disc 20th Anniversary Edition) [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
I wont bother going into details about the film itself. If by chance you haven't already seen Dances With Wolves or haven't at least heard about it then there are already hundreds, if not thousands, of reviews already written that go into detail about the film itself. At this point I really dont think I can significantly add to whats already been said about this film. Ill simply say that it was, and still is, one of my all time favorite films.

I am writing this review urging people to buy the 20th Anniversary Blu-Ray Edition for one reason and one reason only, the soundtrack. This is not to say that the soundtrack is the only worthy upgrade in this version, quite the contrary as I think this version is outstanding in every possible way (unlike the previous releases). Its simply because its worth upgrading to just for the soundtrack alone. Its hands down one of the best soundtracks I have ever heard and until you have heard it in all its glory on Blu_Ray....well your really missing out as this is one of those rare films where the soundtrack takes the film to a completely new level and this Blu-Ray version is so superior to the previous releases that its really like hearing it again for the very first time.

I have been a HUGE fan of this score since I first heard it. In fact, its pretty much the only thing I listen to when I go storm chasing every year. I just play it again and again and again and again and I have been doing this since I first started chasing over 10 years ago. I just never get sick of it and its really become one of the staples to my entire trip. The people I chase with actually make jokes over the radio. Statements like "Oh no, he is playing it again" followed by laughter are extremely common.

Anyways this release certainly doesn't disappoint in this regard. The 7.1 DTS-HD master, running roughly over 4600kbs, is absolutely breathtaking. Actually breathtaking doesn't even properly describe just how stunning it is. Its really futile even trying to put it into words. I purchased a new audio system from ADA last year and I have never heard my set-up sound this good. I literally sat in awe for the first 30 minutes of the film. It really must be heard to be believed.

Bottom line - There are a lot of reasons to buy this Blu-Ray but for me one reason stuck out far above the others, the score. If your a fan of this film and even remotely enjoyed the score then you should be ordering this as soon as humanely possible. If you haven't seen this film and are a fan of quality scores then your missing out on one of the most iconic American scores ever produced and its never sounded better than it does on the 20th Anniversary Blu-Ray edition. Its like your standing right in the middle of the orchestra. This is really what hi-def is all about.

5 stars

[Add comment]
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Tracked by 5 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 18 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 15, 2011 12:07:05 PM PST
HardyBoy64 says:
I too LOVE this score, and it's why I love the movie so much too. I have over 100 film scores and this one is easily in my top 5! I can't wait to watch the new blu-ray!

Posted on Jan 15, 2011 7:57:40 PM PST
Dennis Yenn says:
You should considering getting the audio CD soundtrack and the book(s) if you haven't. Both are on also.

Dances with Wolves

Dances with Wolves

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 17, 2011 7:56:16 PM PST
OrangeCrush says:
Oh yeah, I have the soundtrack. As I stated in my review, its pretty much the only thing I listen too when I go storm chasing every year. In all honesty I dont think I have every played a CD as much as I have played John Barry's score for Dances with Wolves. I have played it so much that I have actually had to have the CD resurfaced twice. Now that i think about it I should just buy a new one.

I am right with ya. I love scores and soundtracks and have well over 300 of them. If your a fan of scores you should check out the score from Inception. The final Track "Time" is absolutely stunning work. Overall the score is fantastic but that track in particular is hands down one of the best musical pieces I have ever heard in regards to films. You should check it out if you haven't already.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 10, 2011 2:15:53 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 10, 2011 2:30:21 AM PST
Coltbear NJ says:
Hello, OrangeCrush!

I have close to 9,000 CDs, and "Cinema Themes" (instrumentals and scores by the original composer), are among my top three favorite genres. I have nearly 700 of "Original Motion Picture Soundtracks" and scores alone, and "Dances With Wolves," as well as John Barry's "Out Of Africa" have been favorites since their release, and he absolutely deserved to win an Oscar for both, as well as a Grammy Award for "Dances With Wolves."

I just wanted to let you know that when you do replace your CD copy of the "Dances With Wolves" soundtrack (as I did!), make sure that you get the EXTENDED, remastered 2004 release.... it has 24-tracks (as opposed to the 18-track, 1990 release), and sounds GREAT! I don't know how ANY guy can listen to "The Buffalo Hunt" and not want to run and mount something! (Uh... make that "someone," and I apologize for getting off-topic!) :-)

Seriously, OC, you're absolutely right about the "Inception" soundtrack, too. I also love "Mombasa" - it sure gives your speakers a workout as well. It goes without saying that my favorites are the artists I have the most releases from - John Barry, Hans Zimmer, as well as a few select others (though a conductor and not a composer, Erich Kunzel and the Cincinnati Pops are consistently superb), and I enjoy scores from Zimmer's current and former "disciples" as well - Steve Jablonsky, Geoff Zanelli, Mark Mancina and Harry Gregson-Williams being among them. Zimmer's score to "The Pacific" (with Zanelli), is elegiac and incredibly moving. Highly recommended if you don't already own it.

Finally, having many of John Barry's scores and compilations, including his 4-CD retrospective, "Themependium," which includes many of his Bond scores and much, much more - and his excellent "Moviola" and Moviola II," probably many still do not know that one who brought so much joy to millions of listeners is with us no more. John passed away on January 30th in his home in Oyster Bay due to a heart attack. He was 77 years young, and will TRULY be missed by all of his fans.

Rest in peace, John, and thanks for a lifetime of unsurpassed music that truly was a gift from you to all of your fans around the world. As all of these reviews show, you were and will always remain truly loved and appreciated, and you and your music will live on forever.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 14, 2011 12:58:03 PM PST
OrangeCrush says:
Hey Coltbear,

Yeah I was really sad to hear John passed away. The man has given me countless hours of entertainment and it was really his soundtrack with Dances with Wolves that initially got me interested in soundtracks and scores. Its now one of my favorite genres of music. I truly believe that Dances with Wolves is one of the most iconic American scores ever produced and I think well still be able to say that 50 years down the road.

I appreciate your heads up on the extended remastered version. I am already starting to prepare for the upcoming storm chasing season and I cant think of a better way of starting the season, and honoring John's passing, than by buying the remastered version. I actually didn't even know it existed. I dont know how that one got by me. Anyways thanks again for the heads up. It will be in my player soon enough.

I am also a big fan of Zimmer and have been really intrigued by his recent work with C. Nolan. Both The Dark Knight and Inception are really unlike anything Zimmer has ever done before. Basically I think Zimmer got in a rut where he was doing a lot of the same types of films and ultimately the scores, while still amazing, really didn't break any new ground and were similar in many ways. Nolan's films have really pushed him and I think its caused him to really grow as an artist. I cant wait to see what Zimmer produces this year. Regardless Inception is truly amazing and I am still in UTTER shock that the Academy Awards snubbed Inception's score. Simply unbelievable and further proof that those people really are clueless.

Posted on Aug 16, 2011 4:33:13 AM PDT
J. Jones says:
I can't tell you how grateful I am that you skipped reviewing the actual plot of the film. Too many people do this with blu-ray reviews when it's usually so unnecessary. Great review of the blu-ray, my friend.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 13, 2011 4:35:34 PM PDT
You are absolutely correct about the magnificent soundtrack. I used to love to listen to it while studying in Law School.

Posted on Feb 19, 2012 7:57:26 PM PST
Ike17055 says:
It would be difficult to overstate the magnificence of this score, so it is truly deserving of an excellent treatment in its technical reproduction. I can attest to the power of this soundtrack's appeal. One summer evening several years ago I dragged my sound system outdoors at my mountain cabin just to listen to this score under the bright stars of rural northern Pennsylvania, miles away from any other human being. I was not disappointed. This setting took the listening experience to a whole new level. Words canot describe how incredibly moving it was to fill the night with John Barry's inspiring music in that setting. I think of it often.

Posted on Aug 20, 2012 11:26:10 AM PDT
M. Hatter says:
Soundtrack never wears out...could listen to it over and over.

Posted on Sep 23, 2012 2:02:35 PM PDT
Which Blu-Ray Edition is it? Amazon has 2 2011 released versions.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›