Automotive Holiday Deals Books Gift Guide Books Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Black Friday egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Grocery Gifts Under $50 Amazon Gift Card Offer bf15 bf15 bf15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $15 Off All-New Fire Kindle Black Friday Deals Black Friday Video Game Deals Outdoor Deals on HTL

4.0 out of 5 stars good value at costco, March 12, 2012
This review is from: Fujifilm S4500 Compact Digital Camera (Electronics)
As with the other reviewer, I bought mine yesterday at Costco for $179. The costco bundle includes a 4 gig class 6 sd card and a carry case.

I have only had a couple of hours with it but I think it is a good value. Depends on what you want it for of course.

I changed my old Kodak 850, a similar priced/featured camera because it was giving some issues and the newer cameras offer some terrific technology upgrades. (And I am a Kodak retiree......when I was working Fuji was the enemy!)

I specifically wanted a better zoom, with image stabilization. (I have an old man's tremor.) We spend some time in Hawaii during whale season. You really need high zoom if a lot of your whale watching is from shore. We also want Bald Eagle pictures when they land is some trees 200 yds from our house.

Another "nice" feature for my usage is the option of iso 6400. Also handy is the 1/2000 fastest shutter speed.

Several relatives have dslr's but I wanted the zoom without the bulk, and without the expense.

I have done some experiments with the 30x zoom. I found I could take sharp daylight pictures at 30x zoom (the equivalent of 500mm focal length) by using the 6400 setting and 1/2000 shutter speed, using shutter priority. I handheld the camera for these. I judged sharpness subjectively on my computer, from the pictures of bare twigs high in trees.

The only problem I experienced is that at such high zoom even the slightest movement can take you off your intended subject, same as with a telescope. So in the future I think I will use my walking stick, which has an optional male screw mount and the stick can become a unipod. And of course one can always use a tripod.

There is a "digital" and "optical[default]" zoom selection in the menu. I tried both and the sound seemed similar. I was assuming the digital zoom would lose sharpness in telephoto. It did not seem to do so, as viewed on my computer screen.

A feature I like is the fuji-unique "f" button. Without going into the menu you can change iso and several other settings, in many of the shooting modes.

Some caveats: The largest lens aperture is f3.1 in wide angle and f5.6 in telephoto mode. If you want to take really neat blurred background photos portraits this may not be large enough (to reduce the focus range).

another caveat; file size. With my old Kodak I was happy with the 2.1mp (mega pixel)setting. That setting resulted in file sizes in the 3/4 MB range. I have gotten good enlargements up to and sometimes including 8x10 with that mp setting, and that is all I need, so why take up more memory? With the 4500, you only get to choose Large, Medium, and Small for mp settings. On the small settings I am getting file sizes in same 3/4 MB range, maybe slightly larger but certainly under 1 MB.

Another caveat: Zoom motor noise in video mode. I like to take a lot of video, editing them into dvds after major family get-togethers. There is some zoom motor noise with the 4500. the good news is that the experiment I did had no voice narration other than my comments. The verbal narrative seems to be much higher level than the motor noise so I do not think this is going to be a significant drawback.

[Add comment]
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-4 of 4 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 12, 2012 11:36:55 AM PDT
Ian L. Rowe says:
Great comments. How is your battery life? Rechargeable or fresh batteries?

Posted on Mar 12, 2012 12:07:11 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 19, 2012 5:58:16 PM PDT
Gary Sawicke says:
I'm glad you are having a good experience with the 4500. I still think it's a good buy, a nice camera with lots of features. I was just turned off by the non-working flash & posted internet criticisms about the company. I know Costco will sell a lot. Hmmm. I ended up buying one today and you can read my review. So far I'm very happy with it and will be testing it out this week.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 12, 2012 12:56:55 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 12, 2012 12:58:17 PM PDT
E. Tucker says:
I just cked the cd manual. It says 300 stills with alkalines, 500 with rechargebles ni-mh.

info is there for lithium, i just did not commit it to memory.

I am still using the supplied alkalines.

You can probably get to the manual online.

At .25 or less each at either sams or costco it is hard to justify going with the alternatives. Still, each to his/her own.

Posted on May 30, 2013 11:53:08 AM PDT
The answer to "old man tremors" is to invest in a tripod. Im not an old man yet, but anybody is going to have some degree of camera shake. Tripod is important especially for video mode. With this $200 range point and shoots, camera shake requires the camera to constantly re-calculate its focus, and if you're doing any video-mode in low light, and you have camera shake, the results are not going to be good. so use a tripod. Plus on a computer with some editing software, you can get a video frame freeze, and get a still photo from your video. Video mode is preferable to still photos for any action shooting. Image stabilization is a feature Im not impressed with. It distorts your image, to achieve a stable image. golden rule: use a tripod. Buy a cheap tripod, but use a tripod. I would rather lug around a tripod, then use image stabilization.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›