5.0 out of 5 stars Fast, quiet, solid, February 20, 2011
This review is from: Western Digital Caviar Blue 500 GB SATA III 7200 RPM 16 MB Cache Bulk/OEM Desktop Hard Drive - WD5000AAKX (Personal Computers)
My use for these drives is to replace a couple of aging five year old 80GB drives in Windows XP and XP Media Center machines. Those drives are still running fine, however, for the price, I had absolutely no reason not to upgrade them at this time.

I came across this drive middle of last week and Amazon was selling it new for $29 - I was scratching my head thinking "what's the deal" and "what's wrong with these drives"? Sure, even though they were above $25, Amazon was still charging for the shipping - so I took two to bring the per drive shipping down slightly. The old 3Gb version of this drive was selling for over $40 - so again, scratching my head about this. Maybe it was a pricing mistake? Whatever - it was a great price.

The drives arrived yesterday, same standard OEM packaging all of my six other WD drives have come in over the past 9 months. I used Clonezilla to clone the old drives on to the new, it went smoothly without any issues. I'm storing the old drives just in case these new ones have any issues I won't have to rebuild the system drives from scratch.

I know that the motherboards in my machines cannot make use of the 6Gb throughput, however, these drives are definitely faster than what they're replacing - older WD drives which indicate they are 7200RPM and 3Gb. Specs on the older drives indicate performance shouldn't be all that different, but it is, and for the better. I won't question it.

The drive indicates you can jumper pins 5 and 6 to limit it to 3Gb, but I didn't understand the benefit of doing it, so I left it unjumpered and it's working well.

To summarize - these drives are fast, quiet, and so far are performing excellently. I'm very happy with them thus far.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 14 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jun 19, 2011 2:10:03 PM PDT
Larry Russo says:
curious - did you install this drive on an iMAC 24" 2007 intel ? I was wondering about the 3gb speed limit as well?

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 19, 2011 3:18:15 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 19, 2011 3:24:06 PM PDT
Howard says:
Sorry - they are in two XP boxes. Still performing well.

Here is the sheet from the WDC site with the jumper settings: http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/search/1/a_id/1400#jumper

I think the reason for having it is discussed at the link below - this is with regard to the SATA II drives providing the jumper to lock it at 1.5Gb/sec (SATA I), the reasoning for providing the same on the SATA III drive is also probably the same. Related to older SATA controllers possibly not being able to work with it.

Our SATA II hard drives use autospeed negotiation. This enables our SATA II drives to automatically detect the motherboard data transfer rate, making it backward compatible with SATA I data transfer rates. However, some older SATA I controllers are unable to support autospeed negotiation and cannot recognize the drive. This "drive not detected" condition occurs when a chipset is incapable of correctly negotiating the data transfer speed with a SATA II hard drive.

Solution:
You can purchase and install a third party PCI or PCI-Express Second Generation Serial ATA controller card for your Serial ATA hard drive(s).

To lock the drive at 150 MB/s data transfer rate install a jumper shunt on pins 5-6 (OPT1), shown in the picture below. (Only available on 3.5 inch (Desktop) size drives)

If the OPT1 jumper setting does not resolve the issue, please Contact Us for additional assistance.

Posted on Sep 21, 2011 4:34:43 PM PDT
Amazonian says:
Hmmm... Free shipping on Amazon > $25. Can you clarify that point in your review ?

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 21, 2011 5:06:16 PM PDT
Howard says:
Yes - this drive, when I purchased it for $29 required paying for shipping. Contrary to what is generally the case of orders > $25 having free shipping, it is not the case with all items.

Here is my invoice:

Items Ordered Price
2 of: Western Digital 500 GB Sata 6.0 Gb-s 16 MB Cache 3.5-Inch Internal Bare-oem Drives WD5000AAKX [Personal Computers]
Condition: New

HDMI says:

Posted on Feb 15, 2013 8:24:06 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 15, 2013 8:26:11 PM PST
Peter Jepson says:
Re: Howard Why would someone use Clonezilla when the WD drives come with Acronis free WD version ?

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 16, 2013 2:28:05 AM PST
Howard says:
Because this is an OEM packaged drive. It is not retail packaging and does not come with anything other than the drive itself.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 16, 2013 1:43:15 PM PST
Peter Jepson says:
thanks, nice of you to take the trouble to reply! What I meant was you can download the WD Acronis free from wd website. I heard Clonezilla is tough to use, and I would expect a mfrs. utility to be reliable ? But I am trying to learn here, and mabe zilla is the best.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 16, 2013 2:05:50 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 16, 2013 2:06:35 PM PST
Howard says:
Sorry - my misunderstanding. I've always used Clonezilla. I have about 10 or 15 drives that I use for backup (just clone the original) and it's very quick and easy for me. Just pop the Clonezilla CD in, boot, hit a few prompts and it does its thing.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 16, 2013 2:32:26 PM PST
Peter Jepson says:
Thanks much for yr reply....and so prompt too! You are a real good sport and a gent
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›