Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc CaseLangVeirs Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors

3.0 out of 5 stars Hip, loud, understated., May 22, 2013
This review is from: Timex® Men's Analog Camper Watch #T41711 (Watch)
This fills a niche left by my very expensive Citizen Eco drive. That's a solar powered, elegant and rugged metal strap watch that's in the 2-3 hundo range.

The problem with the metal band is that when sweating, I get a black ring around my wrist. I dunno what this blackness is, maybe the blackness of the heart of the taskmaster who wrought its steel from the belly of the forge.

Anyway, this camper watch doesn't leave such a mark. Boom, +1 star.

Also while exercising, no one wants their expensive watch scratched or dirtied. So far, this thing keeps on ticking, despite the occasional licking (I have a dog). Star number the 2nd!

The dial glows in the dark at the appropriate points. Chalk up one more star.

I've noticed that watches are getting bigger. So big, in fact, that people are walking with an obvious tilt. This is a very counter-culture statement, and canvas strap camping watch for 20-something dollars. I could buy 1 a year for ten years, make interest on the remainder in the bank and walk away better off than with the citizen. +1

When my wife gave birth to our second kid, she complained about how loudly it was ticking. The other night I forgot to leave it in a hermetically sealed acoustic chamber, and she threw it at me while I was brushing my teeth. Minus 1 star.

What are we at? 3? 3 it is.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-3 of 3 posts in this discussion
Initial post: May 29, 2013 12:42:26 PM PDT
Rifleman says:
Very cool review. You should write for a magazine. I had a watch just like this while in the Army at Ft Knox KY. I payed about $15 back in 1984 and it never let be down...I cannot remember where it has gone too, but I'm buying one to replace it.
Keep writing these humorous reviews...I like it!

Posted on Feb 3, 2014 7:12:59 AM PST
The "blackness" from your Citizen watch, is dirt and grime. Clean the band on a regular basis and you shouldn't have any problems. I use some denatured (isopropyl will work fine) alcohol and an old toothbrush, allowing the band to soak in the alcohol for a time (keeping the watch body out of the alcohol). Warm water and soap will suffice.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 4, 2014 9:57:04 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 4, 2014 10:04:08 AM PST
Erik J S says:
I wonder why some straps are more prone to this. I'm wearing an ironman timex now w/ plastic strap, and whether I bicycle to work, run 10k or eat too much thai food: never a mark. Same with my vintage 1950's pobeda w/ leather strap... Maybe the metal is oxidizing to some small degree and contributing to the crud? Seems like the field is wide open for some research here. The google results are plagued by postulations of allergies to nickel, but that doesn't sound right considering it washes off with water (and what kind of wacky allergy is blackness?!). Maybe it's just that the crude washes off the metals easier when you get sweaty. Plus I have a vague recollection of another plastic band causing this as well.

Back on topic, the camper timex watch has been relegated to the closet - it was too loud and distracting. It's been replaced by the standard digital ironman.

Edit: Almost forgot about the rest of this saga. I was wearing my timex during my bicycle commute, and left my nice citizen on my desk at work overnight for looking nice without needing to truck it around. Someone stole it off my desk. 200$ gone - poof. I had an old eco-drive, first gen that an old X-GF bought me back in 2000, it was 13yo+, and the capacitor was long dead. I had a local jewelry store replace it for 50$ (woah) and it lasted a DAY. The jewelry store claimed they needed to do a "cleaning" for another 50$, so we raised hell with them to return the capacitor and refund the original 50$ - surprise, they didn't want to. A quick call to the BBB fixed that. With my 50$ back I bought an ironman timex, since I'm training for an ironman I figured that was ok. For a more dressy watch, found a vintage mechanical watch on etsy for 40$ that can sit in a drawer for 10 years and wind right back up again. Take that citizen!
‹ Previous 1 Next ›