4.0 out of 5 stars I wanted to throw something at it too many times, March 3, 2011
= Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Dead Space 2 (Video Game)
Dead Space 2 is a direct sequel that follows Engineer Issac as he tries to escape a space station over-run by the necrophage. It's more straight forward and less level oriented than the first game. This time around Issac has more personality, he has a past and he's more connected emotionally with what's going on. There's no more "just do this so we can escape. that's done, now this broke, go fix it" that drove the first game, nor is there a central point to keep returning to. This Dead Space just keeps following a straight line forward and the chapter changes are seamless.

The graphics are more open, very detailed and more diverse than the first game giving the game a less claustrophobic feel but the player a less repetitive visual experience. For some reason Issac still walks half-hunched over for reasons I don't understand but he looks more nimble regardless.

There's more weapons this time too and they're more diverse, it also matters more what you use what on since some enemies barely react to some damage. And there's a lot of enemies and more ways to deal with them than the first game.

The main issue I have with Dead Space 2 is how incredibly hard even casual mode can be at times. First, I found my self several times replaying areas because I'd get so far and run out of useful ammo and the game doesn't seem to have any idea of placing vending machines or crates with ammo inside at the right spots. I'd go from having more than I could carry to running out in the next area.

There's a major, logical flaw than nearly ruins the game, enemies come literally out of NOWHERE. And I mean, NOWHERE. I was in a room wit one door, opened the door and started fighting a something kills me from behind, in a SEALED ROOM!!! Unlike the first Dead Space, I often can't find anywhere for the enemies to come from, they are just there, in swarms. It's very frustrating, you stand against a solid wall, in a corner with no vents ore doors around you looking booth ways and suddenly something gets you from behind??? I've had this happen several times and over and over again could not find where I was attacked from.

Over all I want to love this game, but when I find myself out of everything but fire surrounded with enemies that are immune to it and I just walked and walked and walked with no store or crates to refill from and the enemies just swarm from all sides and I die over and over and over and over and over till I turn it off and go back 1/2 hour of game play to try and stock up on ammo then it's no damned fun. I work all the time, I have kids, I just want an hour or so a day to relax and play and instead I get angry and frustrated and play the same 45 seconds of game for and hour it just sucks.

I've been playing games since Atari in the 70's and games like this suck to play because you get hooked just to find even the easiest setting can get unreasonably hard at parts and hours on the same few seconds of game is never fun.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-4 of 4 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 4, 2011 12:58:31 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Mar 4, 2011 1:00:18 PM PST
S. Smith says:
I played the game first time on Zealot...lots of trial and error. If you ever pick the game up again, upgrade stasis and kinesis to perfection for you. Trust me, I logged in about 15 hours over saves, but played for around 40. The game is quite spectacular though, I loved it! Oh, and just FYI...never play Demons Souls if you think Dead Space 2 is too difficult (but damn...that's my favorite game ever); I love the challenge.

Posted on Aug 30, 2011 5:04:28 AM PDT
Mutants often come right out of the walls or ceiling through panels that cover duct work or compartments so no way to tell they are there until...
Were you stomping the creatures' corpses for ammo and stuff? It's not all in crates and lockers in this version (in fact, very little is). I don't care for this aspect of the game and wished they'd just stuck to the crates and lockers for obtaining what you need.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 30, 2011 3:55:20 PM PDT
M. Daneker says:
Yeah, I stomp everything for ammo. It just got hard to the point where I stopped playing altogether.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 30, 2011 3:55:37 PM PDT
M. Daneker says:
Took Demon Souls back after a week.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.6 out of 5 stars (298 customer reviews)

$19.99 $18.75