1,989 of 2,031 people found the following review helpful
4.0 out of 5 stars Very good but . . . ., October 16, 2009
This review is from: Garmin nuvi 1350/1350T 4.3-Inch Widescreen Portable GPS Navigator with Lifetime Traffic (Discontinued by Manufacturer) (Electronics)
I have this unit for 10 days now and overall I am very happy with it. For its mainstream feature, navigation, it is excellent. I had a Garmin 350 before this which I loved but it was stolen from my car. I had a Magellan after that which was crap. The price on this unit was great ($247 - Amazon).

I chose it over the 1390T because I opted to not get bluetooth. It is the only difference between the units. I felt the bluetooth quality would be poor based on other reviews of bluetooth in general on GPS units. The main reason was in the way most people use bluetooth. In a typical day I am in and out of my car often. I always need my bluetooth immediately in case I get a call. I don't always need my GPS. And since my previous unit was stolen, and theft of these units is a big problem everywhere, I keep the unit hidden or sometimes remove it from the car. So if you are like me but you get this unit for bluetooth, you will need to stop and mount your gps everytime you get in the car whether you need it or not, just to have blue tooth capability. If you forget and the cell phone rings, you have no bluetooth. So I purchased a separate bluetooth speaker phone from Jabra (very good unit# which is always attached to my visor, pretty good quality, and always there when I need it. I saved about $75 by opting for the 1350T over the 1390T.

A few minor disappointments. The Lane Assist feature works great but is not available everywhere. I used it around NYC and it was helpful. I drove through Pennsylvania and upstate NY and it was not available. Marketing material hypes this feature but they neglect to tell you this one point. But when it is available, it is a great feature. That brings me to traffic. Same story here. I was driving through PA and hit a 1 hour traffic jam. No warnings from the traffic feature because it was not available in that area. When I got to the Scranton, PA area the traffic alerts started working. It alerted me of a major traffic jam ahead and it even rerouted my trip automatically. The reroute would have been a significant addition in miles but would be worth it to avoid the traffic, right? I decided to ignore the re-route just to test the unit to see if the alert was accurate and I was willing to endure the traffic. As I drove my original route, no traffic anywhere. So had I listened to the traffic alert, I would have driven 50 miles out of my way for nothing. Bottom line is, don't let the traffic feature be a deal breaker for the unit you choose. But then again, I got the 1350T for about the same price as the 1350 #same unit without traffic). Updating the map was more difficult than it should have been. I consider myself a very technical person with computers and gadgets but the map update did not go smoothly and took me several tries. I could see where many people will have difficulty with this if they attempt to update the map.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 13 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 43 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 3, 2009 5:27:43 AM PST
Ray Labonte says:
This review was EXTREMELY helpful. It touches on individuals' needs AS WELL AS NON-NEEDS, e.g. the Bluetooth. I don't even have a cell-phone, so s/he addressed my non-need.

Posted on Dec 25, 2009 2:29:59 PM PST
I was specifically looking for a unit with the traffic feature so reading reviews specifically about that feature has helped me avoid a costly mistake.

Posted on Jan 27, 2010 12:23:44 PM PST
Jane Austen says:
I was so happy to find this review, both extolling the positive and revealing the negative. This will make a difference in the GPS I choose.

Posted on Mar 9, 2010 9:28:43 PM PST
One of the better reviews and I thank you. Made up my mind by your review and I think I will buy it! Thanks again, Pat

Posted on Apr 12, 2010 8:36:55 AM PDT
Shanny says:
thanks for sharing this helpful information! eo'r

Posted on May 8, 2010 8:07:51 AM PDT
A. Stuart says:
I agree --great review. I have been trying to figure out which GPS to get and was on the fence about Bluetooth and your comments solidified my decision to go with a Bluetooth-free model as I always have a speaker-equipped cell phone with me anyway. Thanks for the info, and also the insights about where it does and doesn't work. Have you considered writing reviews like this for a living?

In reply to an earlier post on May 8, 2010 8:34:01 AM PDT
R. Labonte says:
I am of the opinion thaqt the "T" is for Traffic,
not blueTooth. I have the "T" model and no Bluetooth either. The "T" is in the car adaptor into the unit much like the receiver on your radio for "T" raffic alerts. I have NEVER HAD AN ALERT YET, but I don't drive in L.A. Get the unit without BlueTooth and/or "T"raffic. Sorry to have muddied the water, but Garmin conceals the exact nature of their Model(s) on purpose, I THINK.

In reply to an earlier post on May 8, 2010 8:59:31 AM PDT
mitch053 says:
There is a 1350 and a 1350T. I was only reviewing the 1350T which has the traffic feature and no Bluetooth. I was comparing it to the 1390T which also has traffic and does have Bluetooth. My point at the time of the review was that a.Bluetooth feature in a Gps was not as good as a separate Bluetooth device so you would be better off buying the cheaper 1350T instead of the 1390T and use the money you saved to buy a good Bluetooth device. This was months ago so I haven't looked.at.the prices recently but at the time of my purchase and review this made sense. I never considered the 1350. Only the 1350T.

In reply to an earlier post on May 8, 2010 9:07:08 AM PDT
mitch053 says:

In reply to an earlier post on May 20, 2010 9:00:34 PM PDT
Does 1350T has a uploaded Canada map. I am driving to Canada and I would like some one to suggest the GPS model which has both maps of North America and Canada. Will appreciate an early response.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next ›