1,989 of 2,031 people found the following review helpful
4.0 out of 5 stars Very good but . . . ., October 16, 2009
This review is from: Garmin nuvi 1350/1350T 4.3-Inch Widescreen Portable GPS Navigator with Lifetime Traffic (Discontinued by Manufacturer) (Electronics)
I have this unit for 10 days now and overall I am very happy with it. For its mainstream feature, navigation, it is excellent. I had a Garmin 350 before this which I loved but it was stolen from my car. I had a Magellan after that which was crap. The price on this unit was great ($247 - Amazon).

I chose it over the 1390T because I opted to not get bluetooth. It is the only difference between the units. I felt the bluetooth quality would be poor based on other reviews of bluetooth in general on GPS units. The main reason was in the way most people use bluetooth. In a typical day I am in and out of my car often. I always need my bluetooth immediately in case I get a call. I don't always need my GPS. And since my previous unit was stolen, and theft of these units is a big problem everywhere, I keep the unit hidden or sometimes remove it from the car. So if you are like me but you get this unit for bluetooth, you will need to stop and mount your gps everytime you get in the car whether you need it or not, just to have blue tooth capability. If you forget and the cell phone rings, you have no bluetooth. So I purchased a separate bluetooth speaker phone from Jabra (very good unit# which is always attached to my visor, pretty good quality, and always there when I need it. I saved about $75 by opting for the 1350T over the 1390T.

A few minor disappointments. The Lane Assist feature works great but is not available everywhere. I used it around NYC and it was helpful. I drove through Pennsylvania and upstate NY and it was not available. Marketing material hypes this feature but they neglect to tell you this one point. But when it is available, it is a great feature. That brings me to traffic. Same story here. I was driving through PA and hit a 1 hour traffic jam. No warnings from the traffic feature because it was not available in that area. When I got to the Scranton, PA area the traffic alerts started working. It alerted me of a major traffic jam ahead and it even rerouted my trip automatically. The reroute would have been a significant addition in miles but would be worth it to avoid the traffic, right? I decided to ignore the re-route just to test the unit to see if the alert was accurate and I was willing to endure the traffic. As I drove my original route, no traffic anywhere. So had I listened to the traffic alert, I would have driven 50 miles out of my way for nothing. Bottom line is, don't let the traffic feature be a deal breaker for the unit you choose. But then again, I got the 1350T for about the same price as the 1350 #same unit without traffic). Updating the map was more difficult than it should have been. I consider myself a very technical person with computers and gadgets but the map update did not go smoothly and took me several tries. I could see where many people will have difficulty with this if they attempt to update the map.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 13 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 11-20 of 43 posts in this discussion
Posted on Jun 3, 2010 4:34:02 AM PDT
Cats Rule says:
I agree with this reviewer. My magellian died. I've used 3 various models of gps. The traffic seems to only work in certain (possible larger) cities and I'd be careful not to take it's advice. On my dead magellian the traffic feature cost extra and opted not to buy it since I was told it wouldn't work in Jacksonville, FL. I've used a magellian with bluetooth and found my car is too noisy and opted not to buy a new one with bluetooth and instead will wear an earpiece.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 29, 2010 9:16:35 AM PDT
zcoolest says:
is there a way to turn off traffic feature

Posted on Aug 30, 2010 11:00:13 AM PDT
Shopping Mom says:

Posted on Sep 1, 2010 7:42:02 PM PDT
Cowboy says:
i actually choosing between this and tomtom. i have a tomtom 920T before it was stolen. the traffic on that one was good. i drive in NYC and it told me traffic wherever i went. so i was looking for a replacement that also has traffic. only bad thing was it couldn't pick up traffic for local street. but i guess its true for any unit. i remembered i was driving on I80 in jersey and it was a major jam and my then-tomtom told me to get off highway and go on local. i listened and it was a big mistake. the local traffic was worse than high way. i wanna buy this garmin unit but after hearing what u said, i have second thought. i also drive to philly very often so i need a gps that can tell give me traffic alert when i am driving thru jersey. your review is very helpful.

Posted on Oct 13, 2010 9:39:45 AM PDT
Shelly Y says:
Good detail on the pros and cons of this unit. Thanks.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 6, 2010 5:11:55 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Nov 6, 2010 5:13:04 AM PDT
Does anyone notice the front silver faceplate is a bit flimsy/loose on the left hand side? I am wondering if its defect or the way it is. thanks.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 25, 2010 12:57:34 PM PST
F. Gerber says:
Thanks for taking the time to write your reviews. They were very helpful.

Posted on Jan 21, 2011 3:31:54 PM PST
realgood says:
I saw an ad in the "HEARTLAND AMERICA WINTER SALE CATALOG" the Magellan GPS 1400 system at $99.99. This would be my first purchase of a GPS. But when I did some research, I'm glad I read the reviews. COSTCO has the Garmin nuvi 1350T for $139.99 at 7 or 8% tax rate drives it up to aprox. $150.00. I don't know of a better deal yet.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 21, 2011 4:11:11 PM PST
realgood says:
This is exactly what I need to know in this regard to the "Magellan 1440" or whatever number. I've opted for the GARMIN NUVI 1350T. I've gotten so overly cautious I'm afraid to get ripped off.

Posted on Feb 15, 2011 3:14:18 PM PST
Garmin nüvi 205W 4.3-Inch Widescreen Portable GPS Navigator Does anybody know which maps are preloaded when you buy this GPS?