5.0 out of 5 stars Whitesnake returns with some very effective blues-infused rock, March 29, 2011
This review is from: Forevermore (Audio CD)
The first few things I heard earlier this year about this then new and upcoming Whitesnake album weren't giving me a whole lot to be excited about. I read about how this new album would be composed of mostly ballads and how it wasn't all that good. Well I whoever wrote that must not have listened to the same album I did because 1) The album is mostly rockers and there aren't a very big number of ballads and 2) its as good as anything the band has ever put out and more (listen to the samples if you don't believe me). The number of pre-orders in the UK for Forevermore exceeded those of the new Britney Spears album and Classic Rock Magazine has released a "SnakePack" which includes the new album.

From the very first song, "Steal Your Heart Away", you have a good idea of the sound the band is going for with this album. This song is amazing, the great dirty blues sound is very present: the dirty riff, Coverdale's vocals and harmonicas, all rock'n'roll style with the "I Want It All, I Want It Now" chorus attitude make this a killer. I had to repeat it a few times before I could even get to the next track! "All Out of Luck" is a little heavier, an excellent rocker what can I say, nice chorus as well. "Easier Said Than Done" is what I'd call a feel-good ballad, very laid back but it is obviously carried by the guitars and not pianos as is usual. I very much like this ballad; it got me right from the beginning with that cool slow guitar intro. "I Need You (Shine A Light)" is simple and very effective rock, a catchy song. "Tell Me How" is in the same line as the previous song, in which Coverdale asks the eternal question: "How can I win you love?". "Love And Treat Me Right" is a bit predictable and cheesy when it comes to lyrics but it all works and is terrific rock really, one of my favorite songs here, try not to sing to that typically 1980's chorus! "One of These Days" is another great ballad, well more of a feel-good radio song that makes everything a little better just by the comforting sound of the acoustic guitars and honest lyrics. "Whipping Boy Blues" is filled with bad boy attitude as the title suggest. When the songs kicks in with the heavy and crunchy guitars and David screams his way through like a pro, you know you're in for one killer track and it's one of the highlights of the album for sure. Just when you think it's over the title track surprises the listener by being an unpredictably highly melodic, touching song. Incredible performance and powerful lyrics, after 3 minutes the songs shifts to a heavy perspective and never lets you go, fantastic guitar work. I nominate this one of the best song Whitesnake has ever done, no wonder this song ended up being the title of the album.

David Coverdale sounds amazing for a guy pushing 60; I mean he can still sing quite well and not many rock singers compete with him as far as I'm concerned. Give the guy a break, his voice sounds excellent even if it does sound a bit rough in some parts but Coverdale still has it, there is no doubt! The new `Snakes bassist Michael Devin and former Billy Idol drummer Brian Tichy are proving here to be a very tight rhythmic section (how about that cowbell eh?), this will surely make for a great live lineup. Doug Aldrich and Reb Beach are excellent guitarists and they prove why once again, they do what needs to be done and then more.

It's quite simple; the more I listen to Forevermore, the more I like it! It's still very early in 2011 to decide the best albums of the year but I have a feeling this one will end up being in the top releases. In comparison to the previous album Good To Be Bad which was a lot more 80's oriented (Think of 1984's Slide It In and 1987's Whitesnake), Forevermore goes for a bluesy rock sound of their earlier sounds from the late 70's and early 80's. Good To Be Bad was a great album and it was great to have Whitesnake back with a classic sound but I think Forevermore is even better. To me this new Whitesnake album is everything the band is, it's just dirty-blues rock fun time, nothing complicated, just pure rock you know? There is definitely a difference in sound if you compare with the last album. But Forevermore doesn't just merely go back to the sound of a certain era, it updates the sound to the current year and you get value for your money. I'm one of those who still buy many CDs and these days few of the new albums (either by classic or new bands) thrill me and Forevermore is one of those few. If you've ever been a fan of Whitesnake or simply like the band OR if you're maybe looking to get into the band, Forevermore is an excellent album that both fans of the band and rock music can enjoy.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-8 of 8 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 30, 2011 7:32:37 AM PDT
Paul Figg says:
Great review as always Tommy! This album went beyond my expectations! I continually kept repeating the first two songs over and over! Its great to have Whitesnake back in full Rock mode! This will be a great summer album--Keep up the great reviews!

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 30, 2011 8:24:27 AM PDT
Thank you Paul, it's always good to see your work is appreciated! I too play the first two songs over and over but really the whole album is great, Whitesnake is better than ever! Rock on man!

Posted on Apr 1, 2011 6:31:35 PM PDT
shagster 22 says:
Whitesnake IS better than ever! ROCK ON TOMMY! ROCK ON PAUL!

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 1, 2011 9:30:12 PM PDT
And YOU rock on music man! Glad to see other fans agree!

Posted on May 20, 2011 6:11:51 PM PDT
Hmm - I have to disagree with you on a few points.
A. To me, this album sounds more like the late 80s Whitesnake than the earlier version of the band, except the guitar isn't as flashy on "Forevermore" as the Sykes/Vai era.
B. To my ears there are quite a few "slower" songs compared to rockers on this album, I guess I hear the mid-pace songs as slower and you get more rockin' out of them!
C. I still think "Bad To Be Good" is a better album - that one blew me away! I liked that heavy sound, and the songs rocked so much.

That said, I think we both agree this is a pretty good album! I'm glad to hear Coverdale singing so well - I was at the concert in Colorado a few years back, where he walked off stage after about 4 songs because his throat was bothering him, and the band cancelled the rest of the tour; I was afraid that would be it for the band, which seemed such a shame after so strong a comeback album. (Funny enough, his singing that night was still pretty good!). Hopefully they'll make it back this way and I can catch a full show!

In reply to an earlier post on May 20, 2011 6:37:33 PM PDT
shagster 22 says:
The name of the record is "Good To Be Bad". Tommy's review on "Forevermore" is great, because it is correct! Rock On!

In reply to an earlier post on May 21, 2011 11:09:03 AM PDT
Thanks to both of you for your comments, it's great to get such positive feedback. It's nice to see fans are liking this new and perhaps final Whitesnake album! Thanks again!

Posted on Dec 19, 2013 6:40:03 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 19, 2013 6:53:42 AM PST
Mike says:
Late 80s early 80s who cares they wer great either way ! Would be nice if we could leave the this is better than that one out of the reviews ! I turned 15 in 1980 and loved every second of the 80s and all the glam and hardrock and sleeze metal of that decade ! Other words i was and still am a true fan ! Thats why i collect the rare cds from unknown bands from then and known ones and spent alot doing it ! By the way theres plenty of good stuff from the legends and The new wave of glam & sleeze metal today but u need to open ur mind & ears and enjoy it
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.4 out of 5 stars (35 customer reviews)

Reviewer