5.0 out of 5 stars The Hillbilly Whisperer, May 3, 2011
This review is from: Justified: Season 2 (DVD)
The trailers caught my attention long before the show began. Unfamiliar with Olyphant, never saw a Deadwood episode, nor any of his movies. After the first episode I became an Olyphant fan and have watched a lot of his previous work. This is the first TV series in years that I can't wait 'til the next one comes on and I'm wishing the one that's on wouldn't end. That just doesn't happen much anymore.

A buddy of my age group grew up in the sticks of mid-northern Florida before things heated up down there, then worked all over the south for most of his adult life and he is the only other person we know who is also in love with the show. He says it is very close to the way things really are in some of those "hollers" that he had to spend time in trying to sell his wares. Neither of us can believe this show hasn't caught on more. It is really a hidden gem.

I think the essence of the show is in the second season when one of the State Patrol guys asks Raylan's boss Art if Raylan can't come with him to serve a warrant on some backwoods type. "You know, because you know these people". Art looks at Raylan and says "Well ain't you just the hillbilly whisperer?" It's the Soprano's and U.S. Marshalls set down in the hills of Kentucky. The crew has continued the gritty realism, strong dialogue, and continual movement of the story that characterized Elmore Leonard's writing. I's tough, knowing that the last episode this season is tomorrow night and we'll have to wait almost a whole year to see another new episode - barring cancellation of course.

Update: 5-7-11. Watched last night's season finale and enjoyed the little twists, even though I knew what would happen when Mags got Raylan to sit down to a drink of "Apple Pie". Paraphrasing an Amazon reviewer of Elmore Leonard's book "Pronto", the only problem I have with the show is - it ended.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 4 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-7 of 7 posts in this discussion
Initial post: May 3, 2011 5:15:44 PM PDT
Justified has been picked up for a third season.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 26, 2011 2:51:39 PM PDT
Verne' says:
Does anyone know when Justified will begin again or if it will, this is dated end of Oct 2011. Many thanks, loved that show like no other.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 4, 2011 11:22:27 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Nov 27, 2011 12:46:33 PM PST
Jane says:
The DVD's for Season 2 will be released on 1/3 so Season 3 will probably begin around the end of January.

UPDATE - I googled Justified's Season 3 premiere date and found a website that said 1/17/12. However, I don't know anything about the website so you can take that with a grain of salt.

Posted on Mar 31, 2012 6:03:21 PM PDT
Lawdog1881 says:
Interesting! Comment in May 2011 on a DVD that was not released until January 2012.

Posted on Apr 1, 2012 3:07:53 PM PDT
Verne' says:
Justified has been a little too bloody this season for our taste and has lost a little of it's charm. But Olyphant doesn't lose a bit of his amazing charisma nor does the cast. I wish the success, to be picked up network TV and wish it ran YEAR ROUND! Wah!

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 15, 2013 10:52:38 PM PST
nofate says:
Not sure what your point is. The show aired in early 2011. Found this:
2/10/11 at 9:50am;

zak chase

Robert B. Taylor in real life and on the front page. Bob to my friends.

offline
2,324 Posts. Joined 12/2006
Location: Pittsburgh, PA

Reputation: 2897

The funniest part of this episode wasn't actually even in this episode. It was included in the "This season on Justified ..." preview at the end:

"Jesus, Raylan, you're like some kind of goddamn hillbilly whisperer!",
here: http://www.chud.com/community/t/130886/justified-season-2

Note that it was written in early 2011. I guess the DVD did not come out 'till you said, though. I don't know about that.

Posted on Dec 6, 2014 10:20:21 AM PST
Really late coming in here, but I saw your comments & they follow why I think I fell in love with the show.
"A buddy of my age group grew up in the sticks ... and he is the only other person we know who is also in love with the show. He says it is very close to the way things really are in some of those "hollers"..."
The show also reminds me of where I grew up (characterizations, accent, etc) & while I was glad to get out, it does touch my soul.
But I also think its had great character & plot development & will be very sorry that 2015 is it's last season.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.8 out of 5 stars (1,428 customer reviews)
 (1,246)