5.0 out of 5 stars Air Play!, July 25, 2012
This review is from: Apple TV MD199LL/A (Current Version) (Electronics)
I have had this incarnation of Steve Jobs hobby product since it went on the market. It has been an improvement over the past version mainly because it can display in 1080p rather than just 720p. For those uninitiated into the mathematic of pixels, 1080p offers twice the resolution of 720p. And that increase was why I added the new model to my home.

My Roku 2 XS 1080p Streaming Player also offered 1080p and unlike Apple TV offers Amazon Prime Instant Video as a channel. Why then has my Apple TV suddenly jumped out front?

The answer is Mountain Lion a/k/a OSX 10.8.

Mountain Lion has a feature called AirPlay mirroring which streams anything on your Mac to your Apple TV. Anything means anything-movies, documents, web sites. At 1080p the resolution is amazing. Your big screen LCD will suddenly become the biggest monitor in the world. And since Amazon Instant Video plays on a Mac. that Amazon content is now available.

Now is the time to buy the 1080p Apple TV!

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 3 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-4 of 4 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 26, 2012 10:42:33 AM PST
L. Richard says:
Hi maybe you could answer this question. I have a Mac Mini in my bedroom. Is there a way to turn my huge 48" Sony projection TV (bought in 2000 before the HDTV craze) in my livingroom into a monitor? You see, when friends come over I don't want them in my bedroom to watch TV or videos online. So it would be great if I could stream movies and TV shows to the Big Screen in the livingroom. I'm wondering if I got the Apple TV and the Air Play component, would I be able to use my apple wireless keyboard and mouse in my living room as they are both bluetooth enabled devices and use the big Sony as my monitor? Also, I'm currently using Snow Leopard 10.7.6 as my OS. Is there any way to get the Mountain Lion OS for free or upgrade for cheap?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 26, 2012 11:23:09 AM PST
According to the Apple website, if your Mac Mini is from mid-2011 or later and has Mountain Lion as an operating system, you will be able to stream from it to the second or third generation of Apple TV. The cost of upgrading from Snow Leopard to Mountain Lion is only $19.99 so that is not too expensive in any event.

You can also steam to Apple TV from various iOS devices including iPhone 3GS and up, iPad, iPod Touch.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 4, 2013 4:07:36 AM PDT
Earl Smith says:
If your old TV has HDMI, then you can plug in AppleTV or Roku. If your old TV has the red, white and yellow RCA connectors, then only Roku will work. We use Roku-2 on our 10 year old toshiba. There is an iPhone mirroring app for Roku, to look at iPhone photos on the TV. It's slower than our AppleTV mirroring, but works.

Posted on Sep 16, 2014 4:20:22 PM PDT
Giros Design says:
Dear G.,
We have an innovative Apple TV mount that we think will appeal to you and will send you a free sample to test out! It is mountable on the back of any TV, with Torx screw security measures and a patented sliding mechanism that makes it easy to mount your Apple TV on any flat surface!
Here is our Amazon product page: AirLatch - Wall/Ceiling Mount for Apple TV
Please email us if you're interested in receiving a free sample.
Best Regards,
Giros Design
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.4 out of 5 stars (5,671 customer reviews)
 (3,963)